Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   Does your Norprene tubing do this to copper blocks? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1722370-does-your-norprene-tubing-do-copper-blocks.html)

animal0307 03-11-2019 11:24 PM

Does your Norprene tubing do this to copper blocks?

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT:

After some back and forth I am going to say that it's likely NOT the Norprene tubing that has broke down in anyway but rather what I am seeing is an "extreme" case of oxidized copper. While visually unsettling it is not detrimental to the performance of the loop and completely normal.

There is disagreement as to whether this corrosion is normal or caused by my use of a silver kill coil and DI water vs a corrosion inhibitor/bio-cide solution for coolant.

My take: I prefer the KISS Method and don't trust cure-all solutions. So I will continue to keep using copper only blocks with DI water and silver and just deal with the visual issue of the oxide layer.

ORIGINAL POST:

Broke down my for the first time in 3 years. Yupp it's been that long. My system sits under my desk and gets ignored. So don't let anyone tell you watercooling is high maintenance.

I've been using Norprene tubing with DI water the whole time and top of the loop maybe once a year. I have a small loop thick 120 rad, CPU and GPU blocks and custom res in an it's case so there never was much fluid to begin with.

This isn't the first time I have noticed this black staining on a cpu block while using Norprene tubing. I'm not really concerned about it since I'm going back to air cooling for the foreseeable future. I will likely just put it all back together staining and all when/if I go back to water again.

Loop has only had copper, stainless and chromed brass barbs and a silver kill coil in it. Hoses are probably 4-5 years old. It just as soft as the day I bought it and the only sign if age is the dirt layer on it.

I only ask because I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience. I vaguely remember it being a concerned that Norprene might leech color over time but it doesn't appear to leech plasticizer or break down like other tubing is known for doing.

broodro0ster 03-13-2019 05:06 PM

I don't think so. I used EK Neoprene tubing for a long time and never saw this. Is probably just corrosion. Rub some ketchup over the pins and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then go over it with a toothbrush. Repeat if needed and the rinse it of very well with water and a toothbrush before you assemble it again. I should be close to new after the ketchup treatment :-)

Alex132 03-13-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animal0307 (Post 27888084)
Broke down my for the first time in 3 years. Yupp it's been that long. My system sits under my desk and gets ignored. So don't let anyone tell you watercooling is high maintenance.

I've been using Norprene tubing with DI water the whole time and top of the loop maybe once a year. I have a small loop thick 120 rad, CPU and GPU blocks and custom res in an it's case so there never was much fluid to begin with.

This isn't the first time I have noticed this black staining on a cpu block while using Norprene tubing. I'm not really concerned about it since I'm going back to air cooling for the foreseeable future. I will likely just put it all back together staining and all when/if I go back to water again.

Loop has only had copper, stainless and chromed brass barbs and a silver kill coil in it. Hoses are probably 4-5 years old. It just as soft as the day I bought it and the only sign if age is the dirt layer on it.

I only ask because I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience. I vaguely remember it being a concerned that Norprene might leech color over time but it doesn't appear to leech plasticizer or break down like other tubing is known for doing.

This guy seemingly had the exact same loop components and issue as you:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post4830427

I wonder if it's the silver kill coil messing with stuff?

toolmaker03 03-14-2019 06:53 AM

I have been using norprene now for 7 years on all my builds and I have not seen this issue.

broodro0ster 03-14-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex132 (Post 27890646)

Yea, silver coil isn't very good anymore and speeds up corrosion. It's good for algea, but not for corrosion.
Everybody should stop using kills coils and use a fluid with biocide and corrorion inhibitor included. Something like Mayhems Biocide+ mixed with Inhibitor+ is perfect.

skupples 03-14-2019 07:32 AM

kill coils are BAD. IDK why they're still being manufactured & sold.

I wish we could go back & clean up all the bad info in these easy to find first time watercooler guides that're a decade old at this point.

time to shill for mayhems.

no silver, just biocide+and inhibitor+ and you'll have the cleanest system you've ever experienced.

Ashcroft 03-15-2019 07:10 PM

Looks to be just copper oxidation. It should clean up to look as new pretty easily, though the darkened copper does not impact the cooling.

animal0307 03-16-2019 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by toolmaker03 (Post 27891222)
I have been using norprene now for 7 years on all my builds and I have not seen this issue.

I think that is about old my tubing is. Honestly I have noticed this before on a different CPU block prior but just assumed it was normal oxidation because it came clean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by broodro0ster (Post 27891228)
Yea, silver coil isn't very good anymore and speeds up corrosion. It's good for algea, but not for corrosion.
Everybody should stop using kills coils and use a fluid with biocide and corrorion inhibitor included. Something like Mayhems Biocide+ mixed with Inhibitor+ is perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27891260)
kill coils are BAD. IDK why they're still being manufactured & sold.

I wish we could go back & clean up all the bad info in these easy to find first time watercooler guides that're a decade old at this point.

time to shill for mayhems.

no silver, just biocide+and inhibitor+ and you'll have the cleanest system you've ever experienced.

I haven't heard about this one yet. Anyone have some articles/studies about this?

My understanding is that silver is inert and is used as anti microbial. I have always been wary solutions that claim to solve all. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no chemist so I completely acknowledge that there is way more science than black magic. KISS has been my method of choice which is why I've been using silver and DI water with only copper in my loops.

https://www.watertechonline.com/effe...lver-in-water/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashcroft (Post 27893678)
Looks to be just copper oxidation. It should clean up to look as new pretty easily, though the darkened copper does not impact the cooling.

I have had this happen to a different CPU block before and it was the same black layer. It did clean up from the other block so I wasn't too concerned this time. I've just used a bit of vinegar and a tooth brush to clean it.

If the layer of oxidation is normal and is only a cosmetic issue then I won't sweat the problem.

Here is a picture of the GPU block that was in the same loop. It's been in use for 4-5 years with the same tubing, Silver and DI water(not the same water) without ever being cleaned. I would just attribute different rates of corrosion to due to different grades of copper used in the block.

djriful 03-16-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex132 (Post 27890646)

I would avoid Silver Kill Coil to be honest, just get Dazmode Protector and Distill water. Mix and forget - lasted me 2 years in the loop and it is still clean as ever. EK blocks + EK Norprene tubing.

Alex132 03-16-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djriful (Post 27895128)
I would avoid Silver Kill Coil to be honest, just get Dazmode Protector and Distill water. Mix and forget - lasted me 2 years in the loop and it is still clean as ever. EK blocks + EK Norprene tubing.

A bit off topic, but where did you get your distilled water from? I've gotten mine from Shoppers and it turned two different batches of my Primochill clear PRT adv tubing a hazy white within less than a week. Ended up buying Cryofuel and some more tubing, with EK ZMT tubing just in-case, because of it.