Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1722414-anandtech-microsoft-brings-dx12-windows-7-a.html)

AlphaC 03-12-2019 04:22 PM

[Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14078...2-to-windows-7
Quote:

Sometimes things happen that are unexpected – just ask Ned Stark. In a far less fictional event, Microsoft has posted an update on their DirectX Blog announcing that they’ve brought a form of DirectX 12 to Windows 7, via official support for the latest DX12 version of World of Warcraft on Windows 7. Where do we even begin?
For some background, Microsoft’s latest DirectX API was created to remove some of the CPU bottlenecks for gaming by allowing for developers to use low-level programming conventions to shift some of the pressure points away from the CPU. This was a response to single-threaded CPU performance plateauing, making complex graphical workloads increasingly CPU-bounded. There’s many advantages to using this API over traditional DX11, especially for threading and draw calls. But, Microsoft made the decision long ago to only support DirectX 12 on Windows 10, with its WDDM 2.0 driver stack.

Now before you get too excited, this is currently only enabled for World of Warcraft; and indeed it's not slated to be a general-purpose solution like DX12 on Win10. Instead, Microsoft has stated that they are working with a few other developers to bring their DX12 games/backends to Windows 7 as well.

white owl 03-12-2019 06:09 PM

Man I don't even know what to say. I honestly feel like games are held back because they can't fully support 12 alone. Since most people don't know how to control 10 (or don't feel that they should have to) they're going to stay on 7 for as long as they possibly can. Not putting 12 on 7 and drastically changing what the OS manages on 10 are both big factors here, I love 10 personally but I'd never use it in it's vanilla flavor. Installing bloatware even after you delete it is a serious slap in the face and it's only a small part of my issues with the way 10 works.

Maybe MS will see that all this is preventing 12 from really being utilized and make some changes.

ThrashZone 03-12-2019 06:39 PM

Hi,
Doubt anyone really cares
Anyone still on win-7 is likely going to linux and what ever gaming goes on it which will be vulkan which by the way works very well on win-7 ;)

J7SC 03-12-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaC (Post 27889132)

Whaaaaat ?! I finally relented a few months back & upgraded one of my machines from Win7 Pro to Win10, solely to get DX12 for 2080 TIs ...all that frustration for :sozo: ?

tpi2007 03-12-2019 06:54 PM

It almost feels like early April Fools' Day. This is bizarre, this late in the game. Then again, it was always an artificial decision to keep DX 12 exclusive to Windows 10 to get people to upgrade, since Vulkan works on Windows 7 and 8.1. Considering that Windows 7 just gained marketshare, maybe this is a desperate attempt by Microsoft to get the DX 12 train going faster. By all accounts, at this point in time, after 3.5+ years after release, DX 12 as an API is a failure in terms of adoption.

But this is a strategy that can backfire immensely. Considering Windows 7's marketshare and that they put 7 and 8.1 in the same bag for a lot of stuff, such as the artificial lockout of updates for Kaby Lake and beyond, despite the fact that Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake cores are architecturally the same as Skylake, and now that they will be providing up to three years of extra support for Windows 7 for Professional and Enterprise customers, why don't they just admit that Windows 10 has problems and extend the support for Windows 7 until 2023 for everybody, thus making it the same as Windows 8.1? Unless they come to their senses and change some fundamental aspects of Windows 10's user control and unless some miraculous transition to Windows 10 and / or Linux happens in the next few months, they are going to have a massive headache in January of next year. Also, are they going to leave DX 12 out of Windows 8.1?

nvidiaftw12 03-12-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashZone (Post 27889278)
Hi,
Doubt anyone really cares
Anyone still on win-7 is likely going to linux and what ever gaming goes on it which will be vulkan which by the way works very well on win-7 ;)

I care. GTX 970 and W7.

So I rate your statement as false. :)

Kana Chan 03-12-2019 07:18 PM

It's probably to stop people from moving to Linux and its variants

TFL Replica 03-12-2019 07:25 PM

This is bizarre. I thought it might be some kind of early April Fools. Didn't they claim at one point that backporting DX12 to Win7/8/8.1 would be impossible?

thegreatsquare 03-12-2019 07:53 PM

Just W7 and not 8.1?

Omega X 03-12-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kana Chan (Post 27889320)
It's probably to stop people from moving to Linux and its variants

If that were the case, Linux marketshare would have jumped a good clip.

Microsoft is having trouble getting people off of Windows 7. So much so that the W7 marketshare INCREASED again recently instead of continuing to decline.