Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [TH]Intel Core i9-9900KF Review: Disabled Graphics and No Discount (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1722628-th-intel-core-i9-9900kf-review-disabled-graphics-no-discount.html)

Computurd 03-15-2019 03:01 PM

[TH]Intel Core i9-9900KF Review: Disabled Graphics and No Discount

Intel doesn't seem too shy to charge jacked-up pricing on these chips even though they don't have graphics.

Quote:

Surprisingly, Intel decided to boost output by selling new F-series processors with disabled on-die graphics engines. These CPUs suffered defects during manufacturing that would have rendered their graphics subsystems unusable. In the face of a severe shortage, however, Intel figured out how to boost production by resurrecting chips that would have otherwise been considered defective.

Now, you'd expect to pay less for a CPU with fewer features. But Intel assigns its F-series models the same MSRP as existing processors with functional graphics. This gives vendors the green light to charge premium prices for handicapped chips, which is exactly what's going on. The Core i9-9900KF isn't widely available on Newegg or Amazon. However, when you do find it available for preorder on sites like B&H Photo, the processor oddly commands a ~$55 premium over Intel's standard -9900K.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...hics,6004.html

The Robot 03-15-2019 05:43 PM

Classic result of corporate thinking and bureaucracy, a product that no one needs at a price no one will buy it for. Not looking good for Ryzen 3 :D

junglechocolate 03-15-2019 06:08 PM

When you're not only short of processor supply but also a supply of F**ks to ship

nonametoclaim 03-15-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Intel's F-series processors represent a new tactic for the company as it struggles with an ongoing shortage of 14nm production capacity. These new models lack integrated graphics. And while we're told they are in high demand at silicon-starved OEMs, they'll soon be available at retail, too, though Intel hasn't given a firm date. Unfortunately, the only benefit these defeatured processors offer over the fully-fledged models appears to be availability. Yet, F-series processors are listed for preorder at a premium price. At least for now. Clearly, the lack of value is a big problem for Intel.
14nm++, +?... seems like a drastic scramble to scrape what revenue they can from the socket while its still viable. total shame that they ran the tick/tock method for so long only to abandon it at the point of opposition. the possibilities could be limitless for new rigs, without them abandoning the performance crown, but they camped a concept and refused to advance until forced to. shame on you intel.

personally i miss having integrated graphics, i wish AMD would consider it outside their APUs. nice thing to have when something bricks, or you sell and buy but have unexpected shipment issues. i can easily play Binding of Isaac on integrated graphics.

m4fox90 03-15-2019 08:17 PM

Who is making these calls at Intel and why is nobody telling them how dumb it is?

Majin SSJ Eric 03-15-2019 09:59 PM

The sad thing is that Intel could have turned these defective dies into a nice little PR campaign for themselves by marketing them as the affordable 9900K while also recouping the losses they would've had to eat in just throwing them away. Instead, Intel predictably price-gouges as always and provides less features for the same (if not more) $$$. The 9900K already has an obscene amount of profit baked in as it is, yet they can't bring themselves to price these defective chips just a LITTLE lower than the $500+ that the fully-featured 9900K sells for??? I can't think of a single logical reason that anyone would ever buy one of these unless they simply can't find any 9900K's in stock and are totally set on that specific processor.

EQvet80 03-15-2019 10:42 PM

This thing supposed to overclock better!? If not I'm just LOL'ing. Now I have a tough choice, buy this or RTX Titan. Just trying to get a great value xD.

white owl 03-15-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric (Post 27893916)
The sad thing is that Intel could have turned these defective dies into a nice little PR campaign for themselves by marketing them as the affordable 9900K while also recouping the losses they would've had to eat in just throwing them away. Instead, Intel predictably price-gouges as always and provides less features for the same (if not more) $$$. The 9900K already has an obscene amount of profit baked in as it is, yet they can't bring themselves to price these defective chips just a LITTLE lower than the $500+ that the fully-featured 9900K sells for??? I can't think of a single logical reason that anyone would ever buy one of these unless they simply can't find any 9900K's in stock and are totally set on that specific processor.

This exactly. From what I understand Intel has some fabs tied up being re-tooled for 10nm so it would see they are running full tilt making the current line up. Selling 9900ks with disabled iGPU was a great idea in that light, I'm sure over half of all K CPUs are being used with a card anyway. The only thing that's stupid is the pricing...when this first came to light Intel somewhat said that store prices are too high so they do this to increase supply and lower price. No idea if that's going to happen or not but that doesn't really justify this pricing, it should be at least $20 less because IMO baked in graphics is a great feature to have and removing it has no benefit.

I remember when this news came out there were like 10 people in the thread either saying they'd pay the same or they'd pay MORE for one without iGPU as if the iGPU were causing high temps and preventing a 500mhz OC. :rolleyes:

Majin SSJ Eric 03-16-2019 05:59 PM

We all know exactly what's going to happen to the price of these iGPU-less 9900K's the second Ryzen 3 drops so why not just go ahead and get yourselves out in front of what you're going to do anyway in a couple months??? Just typical Intel greed shining through as always.

tpi2007 03-16-2019 06:41 PM

From the source:

Quote:

VERDICT

Intel’s Core i9-9900KF lacks integrated graphics, but includes all of the other features you get from Core i9-9900K, including eight cores, high frequencies, and a solder-based thermal interface material for improving cooling performance.

This is factually incorrect.

The 9900KF has other things disabled too. A quick glance at the ARK pages of both the i9-9900K and i9-9900KF models would have let them report on it correctly:

Intel® vPro™ Platform Eligibility: K: yes, KF: no

Intel® Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP): K: yes, KF: no

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology: K: yes, KF: no

Interestingly, a few weeks ago when the KF model was put in the ARK database, TSX was also mentioned as being disabled, but now it's mentioned as enabled. Was it an error at first or is the now enabled status a result of market segmentation second thoughts?

Now, do those differences change a gamer and / or overclocker's minds about it? Most probably not and ironically, stuff like vPro being disabled may actually make the CPU more secure (even though ME isn't completely disabled as SGX extensions work with it), and Intel knows it and that's why they charge the same, exactly the same reasoning with the disabled iGPU, but still, this should be reported accurately because, depending on the deployment environment, these two CPU's may not be interchangeable aside from the iGPU, as the article suggests.

As a side note, I don't recall them having a 130w thermal solution recommendation up there a few weeks ago, for either CPU. When will they update the CPU's TDP to something more realistic than 95w?