Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [OC3D]Crytek Showcases Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections in CryEngine on RX Vega 56 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1722630-oc3d-crytek-showcases-real-time-ray-traced-reflections-cryengine-rx-vega-56-a.html)

Gunderman456 03-15-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoast (Post 27893852)
I can't find the article but AMD appears to be incorporating HBM with their APU some how. That would shake MB manufactures real good as a wake up call. If that turns out to be true.

Let flaming hail fall around their heads and cowering in caves will not help them in the end.

EastCoast 03-15-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27893862)
Let flaming hail fall around their heads and cowering in caves will not help them in the end.

I found another article on it but it's different from what I read about it (I found a link on reddit which I am not able to find at the moment) but here is something else about it:

Quote:

Separately, we also learned that AMD is working on what they call “Near Memory,” or HBM being used in conjunction with future CPU components. We’re not clear presently on whether that includes desktop CPUs, but we do know that HBM for CPUs is in active R&D, and given Hades Canyon, that’s not necessarily a big surprise.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/...7nm-challenges

This is disruptive to the market and if AMD is successful and true would be a serious contention.

Gunderman456 03-15-2019 10:32 PM

Yeah, there was also talk of soldered CPUs/RAM on proprietary mobos a few years back, forget the term for it. Maybe both AMD and Intel should shed all these parasites that feed off them since they no longer provide value to the community anyway.

Like I said, I think this is elementary, as consoles (more like PCs now) are the future of gaming and phones/tablets/laptops will be for business/daily use form factors. No one will be able to tolerate this kind of fleecing for much longer.

Majin SSJ Eric 03-15-2019 10:51 PM

Crytek, this is really cool and all but the next time I hear anything from you it better be an announcement for Crysis 4!!!!

white owl 03-16-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric (Post 27893900)
Crytek, this is really cool and all but the next time I hear anything from you it better be an announcement for Crysis 4!!!!

I'd also love another Crysis but if you're itching to see the beauty of their engine again, check out Hunt: Showdown. I don't have time to play every game that I want to but that one is on the list somewhere.
Tbh I wish PvP was still active on Crysis 3, sadly I missed all the fun. Looked like a blast.

You can also have a good deal of fun using their free Cryengine sandbox thing.

8051 03-16-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PontiacGTX (Post 27893594)
Like physx?see how other engines or even havok achieve similar result without using nvidia propietary technology

I've never seen any other physics engine do smoke and fog effects like physX. Ditto for the FleX effects in Killing Floor 2.

8051 03-16-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonametoclaim (Post 27893736)
this!? cant think of what to search for a link but doesn't AMD have their own open source rt software that is simply underutilized? i know ive seen AMD GPUs and ray tracing before.

as far as the demo... im really not a fan of all the bloom and ambient occlusion, to me it just makes everything seem like it has its own light source and takes away from the true beauty of an engine. i almost always turn them off. certain titles in vorpx makes a difference sure but usually its off.

as per a performance hit, i mean with dedicated cores isnt there going to be something missing frame wise when you dont have them? or am i just out of my element here? can they not be replaced by compute power?

final note, truly happy to see cryengine implementing(or trying to, at least) rt. its a shame to see something requiring a brand(physx cough).

PhysX is now open source -- including vendor-neutral GPU accelerated physX libraries.

looniam 03-16-2019 12:46 AM

CRYTEK is remaking HARD RESET!?!?!?!?

sweet!

Defoler 03-16-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric (Post 27893900)

Didn't they close the studio that made crysis?
If I'm not mistaken the developers from crysis moved to make homefront, but that studio was sold when crytek UK got sold off.
So I wouldn't hold my breath about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27893848)
when a top tear gaming mobo was ~$250 now they are at $500-$600+.

Top tier motherboards were not 250$ for at least the last decade. No idea where you brought that from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27893714)
Nvidia hijacked the name and open concept

Ray tracing existed way before you even heard the term GPU.
Nvidia though didn't "hijack" anything. They were marking their GPUs with a new capability to sell GPUs. Just like the VR era, or when AMD used mantle to sell their GPUs, or Vulkan to sell their GPUs, or tressfx to sell their GPUs. Etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27893584)
Well this just make Nvidia look extra silly. Branding ray tracing as an Nvidia only feature was a mistake for Nvidia that will bite them later on... since its... ya know... not.

Where did nvidia ever branded ray tracing as nvidia only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27893450)
But I neeeds those tensor coresssss.........

There is no information about the resolution and FPS done in this demo.
I would like to see it in a dynamic environment of a game to see if it actually has the same FPS drop like nvidia, or it does better.

Clocknut 03-16-2019 01:04 AM

Just like physics, it started with specialize hardware, then ported to GPU. In the end the market use CPU because it simply easier to implement.

I wonder Ray tracing will follow the same path as well going partially software via CPU. We got soo much excess CPU power now, why not use them.