Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   Noob here, Pump Speed and temps (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1722772-noob-here-pump-speed-temps.html)

mrsarden 03-18-2019 07:52 AM

Noob here, Pump Speed and temps

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, Im new to watercooling and have just finished my first water cooling build.

Its in a Phanteks Evolv Shift and I have a few questions

What pump speed should i be running? Im running a D5 pump and right now I set the pump to run at 2600RPM. Searched online and alot says the pump speed does not matter but just wanna make sure.

And also here is what my temps look like

Idle: CPU 39c GPU 36c

Heaven benchmark: GPU 63c

Cinebench: CPU 71c

I am quite satisfied with the GPU temp but it seems my CPU is still running hot. But i have to say there is an improvement than before it was watercooled. it usually reached around 80+. I thought by reading usually the temps would be down to around 50ish if u go watercooling? Just want to ask if my temps looks ok or am i doing something wrong.

Btw here are my specs:

i7 9700k
gigabyte rtx 2080ti
asus z390i gaming
phanteks evolv shift case
watercooling parts are mostly byksi stuff
Radiators are 2 120 rads
fans are set to 1000rpm
temps inside the case is around 36ish

Thanks for any feedback.

ezveedub 03-18-2019 07:59 AM

Noob here, Pump Speed and temps

Run the pump at higher speed and see if the temps come down more. If so, then you need to increase it.

Also, two 120 rads is a bit under for a 9700K and 2080ti. Single 360 or add a 240 for a 120 IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skupples 03-18-2019 08:01 AM

do you have a flow sensor?

if not, start on the lowest setting, benchmark, note temps
repeat on consecutive settings until you see no gain from increased flow.

It tapers off pretty quickly, but I don't remember the target folks say to go for.

I'm only getting 120LPH outta 2x DDC running full tilt =\\

the min is like .5 GPM *(what I get with a 4 radiators, 3 blocks, and two PWM DDC)

mrsarden 03-18-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezveedub (Post 27896726)
Run the pump at higher speed and see if the temps come down more. If so, then you need to increase it.

Also, two 120 rads is a bit under for a 9700K and 2080ti. Single 360 or add a 240 for a 120 IMO

Yeah thats what Im scared of with the rads but with this case 2 120 rads the max. will try to run the pump faster but I noticed if the pump is too fast there will be alot of bubbles in the tubings. is this fine? or should I avoid this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27896732)
do you have a flow sensor?

if not, start on the lowest setting, benchmark, note temps
repeat on consecutive settings until you see no gain from increased flow.

It tapers off pretty quickly, but I don't remember the target folks say to go for.

I'm only getting 120LPH outta 2x DDC running full tilt =\\

the min is like .5 GPM *(what I get with a 4 radiators, 3 blocks, and two PWM DDC)

Unfortunately I dont have a flow sensor. So 1GPM is what i should go for? any idea how do i calculate if i dont have a flow sensor? Thanks

ezveedub 03-18-2019 08:26 AM

You will get bubbles if the flow rate is too fast for the reservoir to allow them to bleed out and they get reintroduced in the flow. Add foam to the bottom of the reservoir or offset return will prevent this.

skupples 03-18-2019 08:26 AM

as stated, if you don't have a flow meter, then just use a staggered approach.

Start on the lowest speed, running all your blocks as hot as possible, take temps

bump up to the next speed, test, take temps,

etc

compare, win.

flow & pump are one of those HIGHLY oversold things here on OCN, kinda like PSUs, but worse.

More flow means almost nothing above .5, and literally nothing above 1.0. & the difference between the two are within the couple degrees at most.

ciarlatano 03-18-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27896754)

Start on the lowest speed, running all your blocks as hot as possible, take temps

etc

compare, win.

flow & pump are one of those HIGHLY oversold things here on OCN, kinda like PSUs, but worse.

More flow means almost nothing above .5, and literally nothing above 1.0. & the difference between the two are within the couple degrees at most.

Great advice. There are a lot of tests showing that performance shows little increase over 0.5 gpm. But, by the same token, can fall off dramatically below in may loops. Using the method you recommend should find that point pretty easily and effectively.

mrsarden 03-18-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27896754)

etc

compare, win.

thanks. will try and report back.

skupples 03-18-2019 08:58 AM

any time.

Remember to let the benches run long enough to get a good reading. Nothing crazy, maybe a few loops.

NewType88 03-19-2019 09:13 AM

When I'm stress testing and adjusting flow in real time, I noticed temps changes immediately. I get a 4 degree difference between 1800RPM and full speed. At some point there is a diminishing return on pump speed, but I haven't seeked what that RPM is for me yet.