Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/)
-   -   What's the best Z390 motherboard for air-cooled overclocking that has a PS/2 port? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1723036-whats-best-z390-motherboard-air-cooled-overclocking-has-ps-2-port.html)

TwoCables 03-21-2019 09:20 PM

What's the best Z390 motherboard for air-cooled overclocking that has a PS/2 port?

I need a PS/2 port because I have an original Filco Majestouch that gets NKRO over PS/2 and I do take advantage of it. There are times where 6KRO over USB won't even allow 2 simultaneous keypresses for some combinations.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I was originally eyeballing the Gigabyte AORUS PRO until I realized it doesn't have a PS/2 port. I am heart-broken.

So now I'm checking out the Gigabyte Z390 GAMING SLI and also the ASRock Z390 Taichi. I will try to buy the best air cooler I can find for the CPU, whatever I end up getting - be it the 8700K or 9700K.

Am I looking at the best motherboards in this price range? Or are there better?

With the way I see it, if a motherboard costs more than maybe $250 or so, it's probably major overkill for me. :)

This thread doesn't mean I'm definitely going to get an Intel CPU. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Edit: I'm happy to report that I'm testing my keyboard on USB, and so far, all of the key combinations I use today work! So, I don't know which key combinations didn't work when I bought this keyboard back in 2009 and tested it on USB back then, but hey, now I am free to buy any motherboard I want within my budget. I'm very happy about this!!!

The Pook 03-21-2019 09:39 PM

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI has a good VRM for the price point but the onboard audio is bottom barrel (ALC892) compared to the more expensive boards. Dunno if that matters to you or not.

Taichi is bae, mine handles my 9900K well over 1.4v. Taichi Ultimate has been hitting sub $250 occasionally but it's really just the same as the vanilla Taichi with better WiFi and 10Gbps LAN.

TwoCables 03-21-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27902710)
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI has a good VRM for the price point but the onboard audio is bottom barrel (ALC892) compared to the more expensive boards.

Taichi is bae, mine handles my 9900K well over 1.4v. Taichi Ultimate has been hitting sub $250 occasionally but it's really just the same as the vanilla Taichi with better WiFi and an extra LAN.

I have the X-Fi Titanium HD, so I don't care about onboard audio. If it dies, I still won't care because I'll replace it with something good immediately. To me, onboard audio is like onboard video: it's to be avoided, no matter how good it claims to be. Besides, it has the Realtek® ALC1220-VB. You're thinking of the Gaming X.

What does "bae" mean?

The Pook 03-21-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables (Post 27902714)
I have the X-Fi Titanium HD, so I don't care about onboard audio. If it dies, I still won't care because I'll replace it with something good immediately. To me, onboard audio is like onboard video: it's to be avoided, no matter how good it claims to be. Besides, it has the Realtek® ALC1220-VB. You're thinking of the Gaming X.

What does "bae" mean?

Cringe way of saying baby that I started saying sarcastically and now I can't stop using it :laughings

You're right, it doesn't have cut down audio, but it still has a marginally inferior VRM to the Taichi. Should still be fine for a 8700/9700K.

Ton of people smarter than me comparing Z390 boards here, worth a peek if you haven't checked it already.

speed_demon 03-21-2019 09:49 PM

The ALC1220 audio is good enough I sold my external DAC. You might be surprised how much better these onboard audio setups have gotten. It doesn't hurt that many also incorporate an onboard DAC + amp.

Bae means it's something you really like or enjoy.

TwoCables 03-21-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27902718)
You're right, it doesn't have cut down audio, but it still has a marginally inferior VRM to the Taichi. Should still be fine for a 8700/9700K.

Ton of people smarter than me comparing Z390 boards here, worth a peek if you haven't checked it already.

4007 posts. Omg.

Yeah, the Taichi was the first board I checked out after discovering the lack of PS/2 ports on the AORUS boards because of what people say about its VRM. Should I be concerned that much about the VRM though if I'm only aiming for maybe 5 GHz with air cooling? Good air cooling, but still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27902718)
Cringe way of saying baby that I started saying sarcastically and now I can't stop using it :laughings

Weirdo. :)

TwoCables 03-21-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 27902720)
The ALC1220 audio is good enough I sold my external DAC. You might be surprised how much better these onboard audio setups have gotten. It doesn't hurt that many also incorporate an onboard DAC + amp.

Bae means it's something you really like or enjoy.

lol I guess I've been away from OCN longer than I thought. I wasn't seeing anyone say "Bae" on here before.

It's nice to know that if my Titanium HD does die, the onboard audio might be plenty good enough to get me through until the next purchase, whatever it might be. Thank you.

TwoCables 03-25-2019 12:59 AM

I'm happy to report that I'm testing my keyboard on USB, and so far, all of the key combinations I use today work! So, I don't know which key combinations didn't work when I bought this keyboard back in 2009 and tested it on USB back then, but hey, now I am free to buy any motherboard I want within my budget. I'm very happy about this!!!

Hydroplane 03-25-2019 04:05 AM

Personally I like the regular Taichi at the $200 price point but the Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Pro Wifi/Elite/Ultra/Master are all good choices as well. All have an excellent VRM for overclocking an 8700K or 9700K on air.

TwoCables 03-25-2019 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroplane (Post 27907016)
Personally I like the regular Taichi at the $200 price point but the Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Pro Wifi/Elite/Ultra/Master are all good choices as well. All have an excellent VRM for overclocking an 8700K or 9700K on air.

Yeah, I just watched some of BuildZoid's videos on YouTube (channel Actually Hardcore Overclocking) where he describes in excellent detail how good the VRM is on the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Elite through to the Ultra.

I've been spending hours going back and forth comparing the Taichi and AORUS boards, and the AORUS boards always come out on top very easily.