Overclock.net banner

New Overclocker Here - Voltage Question! Help!

241 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  spitfire6147 
#1 ·
Thanks for reading this!

Setup is:
8700K OC to 4.8GHz @ 1.285v & LLC set to Turbo.
Gigabyte Aouros Z390 Gaming mobo
H100i-v2 AIO (stock Corsair paste)
32GB Gskill TridentZ
RTX2060

My question is regarding the difference between the "Core Voltage" in CPU-Z (showing 1.272v) & the PER-CORE "Core #X VID" displaying in HWiNFO (~1.336v). I don't understand why neither of them are at (under load) the 1.285v I set in BIOS & particularly why the values per core in HWiNFO are ABOVE what I set. I hope that makes sense?

I think the temps look pretty solid considering CPU-Z is hitting me with an AVX workload and I do not have it offset in BIOS.

I'm net at this, so any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

-B

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
VID is not a voltage. It's a value the CPU sends to the motherboard to "request" a voltage and that is used by the motherboard in auto, adaptive or offset voltage modes to determine what voltage the CPU wants right now. The CPU varies the VID value according to load. It's not used at all if you have a fixed, manual voltage set.

First choice for newer motherboards is to look at VR Vout (if your motherboard has that in HWiNFO64).

Second choice, look at VCore.

These last two are the actual CPU voltage being supplied. VR Vout is measured closer to the CPU package and will be more accurate if your board shows it (it's a relatively new measurement sensor).

You should think of a voltage you set in the BIOS as a "rough" knob, not an accurate knob. Turn it up a bit, then look at VR Vout/Vcore to see what voltage is actually being supplied to the CPU. Note that it will vary with load because of vdroop (the tendency for the voltage to droop a bit under higher current loads). vdroop is not entirely bad and some vdroop is required and good (it helps with voltage stability and trying to prevent any vdroop can cause voltage spikes when load suddenly changes), it's just something to understand. It can be partially controlled with the LLC setting in the BIOS. Do not pick the highest LLC setting (can cause voltage spikes).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.