Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   Kryonaut drying out? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1723590-kryonaut-drying-out.html)

skawster 03-31-2019 09:09 AM

Kryonaut drying out?
 
pics: https://imgur.com/a/Ykaa4sf

Got some Kryonaut to try out, repasted a few PCs including an old 2600k under a NH-D14, the CPU is OCed to 4.8 @ 1.38v and is predominantly used for gaming and on average sits at ~67C under load. I applied the paste as TG recommends, by spreading it out, and everything seemed fine, the temps were good (very similar to the previous application of Noctua's NT-H1) and nothing seemed wrong.


Yesterday, a month after the initial application, I decided I needed the NH-D14 for another PC so I took it off only to find out that the Kryonaut underneath dried out in the exact spot where the CPU die is, what's weird is that I did run a 15min prime95 v26.6 small FFT test and the temps were exactly as the day I applied it.


I wouldn't care much about the paste drying up as the temps are the same if I also didn't use the same tube of Kryonaut for a GTX 1080ti Poseidon which is in a custom loop and has been exhibiting quite abnormal temps, namely when I first replaced the paste on it the temps were around 14-16c delta (water to gpu temp) but now under the same conditions the have went up to 20-21c and being that the paste on the GPU is a month older than on the 2600k it seems like it's reached a point that it's affecting the temps.


TL;DR Used Kryonaut for the first time, dried up a bit after a month of being used on a 2600k, didn't affect the temps but a GTX 1080ti Poseidon in a custom loop repasted with the same tube is now exhibiting higher temps deciding if I should drain the loop and repaste the GPU.

edit: https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...l#post27922914

toolmaker03 04-02-2019 05:39 AM

well I have used AS5 for years, and it has always worked well for me. so that is what I would suggest, repaste with AS5.

broodro0ster 04-02-2019 05:44 AM

My Kryonaut did the same and the temps on the GPU raised about 1-2°C after 1-2months and then stayed stable.
Noctua NH1 was little better initially for me, but after 3 weeks the temps raised 4-5°C and in the end the Kryonaut was better long term.

Also GPU's can heat up more with certain games then others, so make sure it's not that. I use Heaven Benchmark to benchmark my GPU since it a good reference to compare temps after a while.

Blameless 04-02-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skawster (Post 27915990)
pics: https://imgur.com/a/Ykaa4sf

Got some Kryonaut to try out, repasted a few PCs including an old 2600k under a NH-D14, the CPU is OCed to 4.8 @ 1.38v and is predominantly used for gaming and on average sits at ~67C under load. I applied the paste as TG recommends, by spreading it out, and everything seemed fine, the temps were good (very similar to the previous application of Noctua's NT-H1) and nothing seemed wrong.


Yesterday, a month after the initial application, I decided I needed the NH-D14 for another PC so I took it off only to find out that the Kryonaut underneath dried out in the exact spot where the CPU die is, what's weird is that I did run a 15min prime95 v26.6 small FFT test and the temps were exactly as the day I applied it.


I wouldn't care much about the paste drying up as the temps are the same if I also didn't use the same tube of Kryonaut for a GTX 1080ti Poseidon which is in a custom loop and has been exhibiting quite abnormal temps, namely when I first replaced the paste on it the temps were around 14-16c delta (water to gpu temp) but now under the same conditions the have went up to 20-21c and being that the paste on the GPU is a month older than on the 2600k it seems like it's reached a point that it's affecting the temps.


TL;DR Used Kryonaut for the first time, dried up a bit after a month of being used on a 2600k, didn't affect the temps but a GTX 1080ti Poseidon in a custom loop repasted with the same tube is now exhibiting higher temps deciding if I should drain the loop and repaste the GPU.

Are you sure it was actually dried out and not simply disturbed by thermal expansion/contraction cycles?

I rarely advise just spreading a thin layer of TIM unless both contact surfaces are extremely flat and made of materials with similar expansion coefficients. Putting a small dab in the center after placing a thin later is usually wise, to ensure that there are no voids.

GPU dies also need extra care as they are so large and generally not lidded. A little extra TIM, again to displace any air and ensure there are no voids, as well as to account for any pump out that may occur early on, is something I've always advocated.

I'm not yet convinced of the extreme long term viability of Kryonaut, but only lasting a month sounds like an application error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolmaker03 (Post 27918516)
well I have used AS5 for years, and it has always worked well for me. so that is what I would suggest, repaste with AS5.

AS5 works well enough in most scenarios, but has been long since surpassed in every metric (performance, value, longevity, safety, ease of application, ease of clean up, etc) by a whole slew of more modern TIMs.

NewUser16 04-02-2019 06:36 AM

I had similar scenario. It did not really dried out but it did hardened slightly and temp went up 1-2C. I changed to MX4 on my CPU and 3x GPUs and from taking apart 4 months later I still think it's one of the best if not the best thermal compounds

ThrashZone 04-02-2019 06:47 AM

Hi,
Kryonaut is way over priced and over rated NT-H1 is fine.

ciarlatano 04-02-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashZone (Post 27918594)
Hi,
Kryonaut is way over priced and over rated NT-H1 is fine.

^This

skawster 04-02-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless (Post 27918556)
Are you sure it was actually dried out and not simply disturbed by thermal expansion/contraction cycles?

I rarely advise just spreading a thin layer of TIM unless both contact surfaces are extremely flat and made of materials with similar expansion coefficients. Putting a small dab in the center after placing a thin later is usually wise, to ensure that there are no voids.

GPU dies also need extra care as they are so large and generally not lidded. A little extra TIM, again to displace any air and ensure there are no voids, as well as to account for any pump out that may occur early on, is something I've always advocated.

I'm not yet convinced of the extreme long term viability of Kryonaut, but only lasting a month sounds like an application error.



AS5 works well enough in most scenarios, but has been long since surpassed in every metric (performance, value, longevity, safety, ease of application, ease of clean up, etc) by a whole slew of more modern TIMs.

I just checked a few PCs in my office which I repasted with Kryonaut when I got it two months ago, the paste on all of them has dried out, two have stock intel coolers and one has an Arctic Freezer 33. Not sure what to think of this as the temps did seem fine (although I have nothing to compare them against) but the fact that the paste is dry doesn't seem alright. What's weird though is that I noticed that the remaining paste on the applicator is also dry, I'm not sure if this is possibly a problem of the medium they use for the paste? I've never seen paste dry up on the open in a matter of days granted I've been using mostly NT-H1 for the last 8 years.

Regarding the aplication method I followed it was stated in the "manual" which I got with the tube of Kryonaut, it does seem odd as the paste is far more malleable than Noctua's and their own Hydronaut which I received with the EK waterblock, I've never applied paste by spreading it and I was reluctant to do so as it is very soft and seems even better for the pea method, what's worse is that every application I did was done with the spread method which means I have no idea how it behaves if applied in a different way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashZone (Post 27918594)
Hi,
Kryonaut is way over priced and over rated NT-H1 is fine.

Yeah I'll probably stick with NT-H1 for now, I did send Thermal Grizzly and email with these pictures so hopefully they will reply if this is normal or not.

skupples 04-02-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewUser16 (Post 27918586)
I had similar scenario. It did not really dried out but it did hardened slightly and temp went up 1-2C. I changed to MX4 on my CPU and 3x GPUs and from taking apart 4 months later I still think it's one of the best if not the best thermal compounds

yep, MX4 is my go to... Mostly because it was one of the few companies selling large volume tubes 6+ years ago.

still using the same tube.

gpu's get painted w/ CLU, n everything else gets MX4.

8051 04-02-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27919186)
yep, MX4 is my go to... Mostly because it was one of the few companies selling large volume tubes 6+ years ago.

still using the same tube.

gpu's get painted w/ CLU, n everything else gets MX4.

Is CLU liquid metal? Do you ever have to re-paste that? If so, how often?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.