Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   PC Gaming (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/)
-   -   Games with best AUDIO for EAX? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/1723700-games-best-audio-eax.html)

MonarchX 04-01-2019 10:11 PM

Games with best AUDIO for EAX?
 
I want to re-experience excellent game audio from older games that used EAX. I have ASUS Xonar DGX sound card with UNi Xonar drivers + the latest of OpenAL from here - https://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html + Rapture 3D DLL files from DiRT 3. I already configured the OpenAL part for the highest quality with just one EAX effect disabled - reverberation. Here's my config from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming ALSoft.ini file:
[General]
hrtf=true
channels=stereo
resampler=bsinc24
default-hrtf=Built-In 48000hz
excludefx=eaxreverb
sample-type=float32
frequency=48000
sources=256
slots=64
stereo-mode=speakers

[decoder]
hq-mode=true

Now I just need the games... I think I only have 2 games that use EAX - STALKER - Lost Alpha modand NWN 2. What are some other good games with awesome EAX audio effects?

Drake87 04-01-2019 10:50 PM

Check out this list. It should point you in the right direction.

http://satsun.org/audio/

8051 04-02-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonarchX (Post 27918108)
I want to re-experience excellent game audio from older games that used EAX. I have ASUS Xonar DGX sound card with UNi Xonar drivers + the latest of OpenAL from here - https://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html + Rapture 3D DLL files from DiRT 3. I already configured the OpenAL part for the highest quality with just one EAX effect disabled - reverberation. Here's my config from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming ALSoft.ini file:
[General]
hrtf=true
channels=stereo
resampler=bsinc24
default-hrtf=Built-In 48000hz
excludefx=eaxreverb
sample-type=float32
frequency=48000
sources=256
slots=64
stereo-mode=speakers

[decoder]
hq-mode=true

Now I just need the games... I think I only have 2 games that use EAX - STALKER - Lost Alpha modand NWN 2. What are some other good games with awesome EAX audio effects?

Quake 4 had some good EAX effects if you used headphones. Sounds coming from above you actually sounded that way. Doom 3 supposedly had advanced EAX effects:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/9050/...2218803254228/

but I never really noticed (maybe it only makes a diff w/headphones). The BFG version of Doom3 doesn't support EAX.

Someone here wrote that STALKER doesn't really use EAX. I forget the explanation why. The list says STALKER does work but won't work if you try to use alchemy.

Here's a complete list (I never knew Bioshock supported EAX, but it's in there):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...th_EAX_support

Yukon Trooper 04-02-2019 10:09 PM

Thief series. F.E.A.R. series.

Serious_Don 04-07-2019 04:16 PM

I just hooked up an Extigy to a an XP machine and doing the same thing.. Doom 3 sounds pretty crazy with EAX on, but it gets a little tiring when all of the dialogue sounds like it was recorded with reverb set to 11.

Call of Duty 2 has been the best experience so far, and EAX is still available in the steam version (which also can still be made to work on XP). Crank that game in your headphones and it's quite the auditory trip, they did an absolutely superb job on Audio in that game. It's probably the finest use of EAX you're going to find.

Next up on the list for me to try is Half-Life 1. Retail version had EAX but current steam version has it removed.

8051 04-09-2019 01:28 AM

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone got EAX to work in the STALKER series. I always had problems using EAX in STALKER, mostly because rain sound effects would disappear. But according to some documentation I read EAX should work if you don't use alchemy (maybe STALKER can use openAL?).

UltraMega 04-09-2019 02:05 AM

All EAX really does is add a reverb/echo effect. The reason you don't see EAX games anymore is because most game engines would have this kind of thing or something better built in, so just play any modern 3D game and you'll basically be getting EAX type effects already.

EAX was basically long dead by the times games like Battlefield 3 came along, which I use as an example because of how good the audio in that game is.

That said... Far Cry 2 would be a good one.

bigjdubb 04-09-2019 01:47 PM

Wow, EAX is an acronym I have not heard for many years. I didn't think it was very good back when it was a thing, not sure why you would seek it out now.

The Resident Evil 2 remake has great audio. It's a boring game but the audio is immersive.

Serious_Don 04-09-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 27926746)
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone got EAX to work in the STALKER series. I always had problems using EAX in STALKER, mostly because rain sound effects would disappear. But according to some documentation I read EAX should work if you don't use alchemy (maybe STALKER can use openAL?).

Do you know if EAX has been patched out of the Steam version? I don't have an older retail copy on hand. I can give it a try on an XP rig with an Extigy or Audigy and see if time period hardware solves the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27926756)
All EAX really does is add a reverb/echo effect. The reason you don't see EAX games anymore is because most game engines would have this kind of thing or something better built in, so just play any modern 3D game and you'll basically be getting EAX type effects already.

EAX was basically long dead by the times games like Battlefield 3 came along, which I use as an example because of how good the audio in that game is.

That said... Far Cry 2 would be a good one.

I agree, EAX is literally just reverb "stadium" effect. Ever since the X-fi the effect was easily pulled off for most anything using the software EAX "effects" options, or just using any "amphitheater" preset EQ. Only certain games really sounded good to me, Call of Duty II being the best, it's the only one that actually got me to flick on EAX on my extigy... That's probably because the deafening sounds of war sound "right" with that massive reverb confusing my ears.

8051 04-12-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27926756)
All EAX really does is add a reverb/echo effect. The reason you don't see EAX games anymore is because most game engines would have this kind of thing or something better built in, so just play any modern 3D game and you'll basically be getting EAX type effects already.

EAX was basically long dead by the times games like Battlefield 3 came along, which I use as an example because of how good the audio in that game is.

That said... Far Cry 2 would be a good one.

What about EAX HRTF? It worked really well in Quake4.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.