Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD - General (https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/)
-   -   Help With Build (https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1724118-help-build.html)

Wintry Paradise 04-10-2019 02:51 AM

Help With Build
 
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6tTz3b

A friend of mine needs advice about this build. She wants to know if this is sufficient for her needs. What are your thoughts? Advice? If any other information is required, feel free to ask.

Things she'll be doing with this computer:
- 1920x1080P 50-60FPS
- Future Upgrading CPU/GPU/RAM
- High to Medium Graphics
- Multi-Tasking
- No Overclocking
- Gaming
- Single Streaming Computer
- Streaming
- Virtual Reality Games

Update to reflect some of the questions asked. Will update if more are needed.

shilka 04-10-2019 03:06 AM

The PSU you picked is that cheap because its not all that good and you are better off with a Seasonic Foucs instead
Also why a Ryzen first gen CPU?

white owl 04-10-2019 03:12 AM

Kinda depends on what the standards are for those things. Almost any machine will do all those things.
The GPU will do ok at 1440p but there are a lot of games that could tank it down under 60fps.
Like I said, it really depends on what you're expecting it to do.
If your goals are 1080p/60+ yeah that's great, 1440p/60 would be pretty good in most games but I'm not really sure what sort of max framerate to expect out of the CPU. Streaming would be do-able but I'd want more cores if that's a priority.
VR...what exactly are we trying to run and how well?
The PSU is crap though.
The ram should be fine but I'd check the QVL, the 1000 series was pretty particular about ram speed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27928112)
The PSU you picked is that cheap because its not all that good and you are better off with a Seasonic Foucs instead
Also why a Ryzen first gen CPU?

It's cheap?

shilka 04-10-2019 03:20 AM

Its $32 for that S12III so yes thats cheap
A semi modular Focus is more than twice the price but its modular and far better

TwoCables 04-10-2019 03:29 AM

Are we really telling people that the 650W SeaSonic S12II is crap? You're not going to find a better PSU for $32 after a mail-in rebate. All of the other PSUs near that price really ARE crap. For what the build is and what the plans are with it, I really see no problem with this PSU.

Wintry Paradise:

  • Will she be overclocking?
  • What resolution will she be using in her video games?
  • Is she hoping for the highest in-game graphics settings with 60 FPS or higher (and consistently low frametimes)?

Wintry Paradise 04-10-2019 03:30 AM

1080P 60FPS is what she'll be playing at. This will be used while streaming and playing games on a single computer and multi-tasking with other programs. She's trying to stay around the $700 price range too. Again, feel free to make suggestions. If the price can be lowered while still being sufficient, that'd be even better.

She's unclear about how demanding VR games might be. I've no clue either so some help in that regard would be nice.

Forgot to mention about upgrading in the near future as well.

white owl 04-10-2019 03:30 AM

I already said the PSU was crap.
You'd pick the 1000 series becasue it's cheap.


The build is fine for 1080p/60.

TwoCables 04-10-2019 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white owl (Post 27928142)
I already said the PSU was crap.
You'd pick the 1000 series becasue it's cheap.


The build is fine for 1080p/60.

I know you said it's crap. I'm questioning that very severely.

TwoCables 04-10-2019 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wintry Paradise (Post 27928140)
1080P 60FPS is what she'll be playing at. This will be used while streaming and playing games on a single computer and multi-tasking with other programs. She's trying to stay around the $700 price range too. Again, feel free to make suggestions. If the price can be lowered while still being sufficient, that'd be even better.

She's unclear about how demanding VR games might be. I've no clue either so some help in that regard would be nice.

Forgot to mention about upgrading in the near future as well.

Upgrading what? Can you be specific?

Wintry Paradise 04-10-2019 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables (Post 27928138)
Are we really telling people that the 650W SeaSonic S12II is crap? You're not going to find a better PSU for $32 after a mail-in rebate. All of the other PSUs near that price really ARE crap. For what the build is and what the plans are with it, I really see no problem with this PSU.

Wintry Paradise:

  • Will she be overclocking?
  • What resolution will she be using in her video games?
  • Is she hoping for the highest in-game graphics settings with 60 FPS or higher (and consistently low frametimes)?

No overclocking. 1920x1080. High to medium graphics.

Upgrading possibly the CPU/GPU/RAM.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.