Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   9900K with Kraken X62 ? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1724398-9900k-kraken-x62.html)

Purgatory 04-15-2019 10:00 PM

9900K with Kraken X62 ?
 
Hi there!

As you can see from my RIG below, it is time for a complete upgrade for me. I'll probably order today so i'm very excited. :)

Hopefully specs will be:

- i9 9900k
- Asus Maximus XI GENE
- G.Skill TridentZ 4266 C19(yeah i know but there are no 3600 C14-C15 kits where i am right now.)
- NZXT H400
- Evga GTX1080Ti FTW3(from the old rig.)

I've been using my current system which has a custom loop with MCP655 pump, 360mm EK Rad, EK block, Koolance Reservoir,...etc.
BUT
the freaking HAF X is huge and it is a torture to maintain it since i live in a VERY dusty area, so i'd like to downsize. And i can use the old system at another place or make it a test rig for Linux stuff or something.

What i want is, ram at XMP profile(4266 C19) and CPU at 5.0Ghz and that's it.
Case will have total of 5 fans(3 fans from the case itself, AER F120s i believe, 2x14mm fans intake from the Kraken X62).

So, the question is: Will the Kraken X62 be able to cool 9900K @5GHZ daily ?

Sidenote: I plan to use the X62 WITHOUT the CAM software. Fans into the fan header, pump into the pump header,...etc.

Sorry for the long post and any language errors since English is not my primary language. And thanks in advance!

Have a nice day!

The Pook 04-15-2019 10:10 PM

Should be fine unless you get an abnormally bad 9900K that needs a ton of voltage. I've got a lottery loser (need ~1.33v for 5.0) and I can cool it just fine with a H115i Pro.

Might run into issues with the case not allowing enough airflow if you're planning on mounting the rad up front since it has a solid front with tiny vents (reason why I ditched my P400S) but it might be okay.

And your English is better than most people on the forum :)

Purgatory 04-15-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27934736)
Should be fine unless you get an abnormally bad 9900K that needs a ton of voltage. I've got a lottery loser (need ~1.33v for 5.0) and I can cool it just fine with a H115i Pro.

Might run into issues with the case not allowing enough airflow if you're planning on mounting the rad up front since it has a solid front with tiny vents (reason why I ditched my P400S) but it might be okay.

And your English is better than most people on the forum :)

Thank you for your kind comment. :)

I was about to PM you actually from the RAM thread(https://www.overclock.net/forum/1805...2-ram-buy.html) but i told myself not to disturb you. :D

Actually i think i have to put it on front because of the H400 specs but i'll look into it for top placement. The thing is i know custom loop is better but the pricing in my country(Turkey) a new rad(240mm(can't even find a 280mm one) and a smaller reservoir AND some good fans would equal to the price of the X62. That's why i went in the CLC route even though i don't like that.

If it can hold 5Ghz through the summer(usually gets up to 35-38C but i'm in an A/C environment), i'll be fine.

I need to downsize because i've a bad back and like i said it is a TORTURE to deal with HAF X. It was the biggest mistake of my around 2 decades PC adventure.

I'll pull the trigger on the X62 and hope for the best i guess.

The Pook 04-15-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatory (Post 27934744)
Thank you for your kind comment. :)

I was about to PM you actually from the RAM thread(https://www.overclock.net/forum/1805...2-ram-buy.html) but i told myself not to disturb you. :D

Actually i think i have to put it on front because of the H400 specs but i'll look into it for top placement. The thing is i know custom loop is better but the pricing in my country(Turkey) a new rad(240mm(can't even find a 280mm one) and a smaller reservoir AND some good fans would equal to the price of the X62. That's why i went in the CLC route even though i don't like that.

If it can hold 5Ghz through the summer(usually gets up to 35-38C but i'm in an A/C environment), i'll be fine.

I need to downsize because i've a bad back and like i said it is a TORTURE to deal with HAF X. It was the biggest mistake of my around 2 decades PC adventure.

I'll pull the trigger on the X62 and hope for the best i guess.


Pretty sure front is all your can do. I just meant that any case with a solid front panel is going to suffer in temps since it's going to get less airflow than a mesh front case.

I've never built in the H400 and really haven't heard people complaining about temps in it so maybe it's not an issue but my solid front P400S struggled with my 6700K let alone my 9900K.

Purgatory 04-15-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27934756)
Pretty sure front is all your can do. I just meant that any case with a solid front panel is going to suffer in temps since it's going to get less airflow than a mesh front case.

I've never built in the H400 and really haven't heard people complaining about temps in it so maybe it's not an issue but my solid front P400S struggled with my 6700K let alone my 9900K.

I think i can test that out soon. :) If everything fails i can always remove the front panel in the summers since it has a separate dust filter in front of the fans, we'll see i guess. I just hope i don't get wrecked by the silicon lottery and/or X62 fails me.

Next: Choose a power supply that doesn't suck, available and rip a whole in my pockets.(And no, there are no EVGA products in my country. :()

The Pook 04-15-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatory (Post 27934760)
I think i can test that out soon. :) If everything fails i can always remove the front panel in the summers since it has a separate dust filter in front of the fans, we'll see i guess. I just hope i don't get wrecked by the silicon lottery and/or X62 fails me.

Next: Choose a power supply that doesn't suck, available and rip a whole in my pockets.(And no, there are no EVGA products in my country. :()


Seasonic Focus/Focus Plus line is good, but I got my 750W unit at the end of 2017 for $70 and last I looked it was >$120.

I'd just find something that has a good review on JonnyGURU and is obtainable locally for a reasonably price. He's the guru (lol) of PSU reviews since everyone else seems to not know what they're talking about when they review them.

Purgatory 04-15-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27934766)
Seasonic Focus/Focus Plus line is good, but I got my 750W unit at the end of 2017 for $70 and last I looked it was >$120.

I'd just find something that has a good review on JonnyGURU and is obtainable locally for a reasonably price. He's the guru (lol) of PSU reviews since everyone else seems to not know what they're talking about when they review them.

Wow that's a good website to know, thank you very much!

I found one Focus Plus 850W 80+ but it is 38$ more expensive than Corsair RM850x.

My other options are:

- RM750x (26$ cheaper than RM850x)
- FSP Hydro G 750 (17$ cheaper than RM850x)
- FSP Hydro G 850 (only 6$ cheaper than RM850x)

Jonny has a good review on the RM850x albeit it is the white version of which i don't know if it matters. So, i'm leaning towards the RMx series. My current system has Corsair TX850 which served me well but i dislike Corsair as a company i don't know why. Btw, do you think 750w is enough when both the 5ghz 9900k and slightly overclocked 1080Ti FTW3 are on full load ? I saw something like 1080Ti alone pulling 400+ watts.

The Pook 04-15-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatory (Post 27934776)
Wow that's a good website to know, thank you very much!

I found one Focus Plus 850W 80+ but it is 38$ more expensive than Corsair RM850x.

My other options are:

- RM750x (26$ cheaper than RM850x)
- FSP Hydro G 750 (17$ cheaper than RM850x)
- FSP Hydro G 850 (only 6$ cheaper than RM850x)

Jonny has a good review on the RM850x albeit it is the white version of which i don't know if it matters. So, i'm leaning towards the RMx series. My current system has Corsair TX850 which served me well but i dislike Corsair as a company i don't know why. Btw, do you think 750w is enough when both the 5ghz 9900k and slightly overclocked 1080Ti FTW3 are on full load ? I saw something like 1080Ti alone pulling 400+ watts.


With what you planned on in your OP you'd be fine with 750w. Running Unigine Heaven max settings @ 1080p along with Cinebench R20 at the same time I hover around 620w at the wall with a Kill-a-Watt, and that's with +100mv & 117% power limit on my 1080 Ti and my 9900K @ 5.0.

The only time I ran into issues with my setup is with the XOC BIOS on my 1080 Ti and it tripped OCP/OVP and shut down but that BIOS is stupid to run on air anyway. I just was curious :)

Either RMX would be a good buy, couldn't tell you about the FSP units since I never used one. They're the OEM for a lot of other PSUs though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...e14/edit#gid=0

Purgatory 04-15-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27934780)
With what you planned on in your OP you'd be fine with 750w. Running Unigine Heaven max settings @ 1080p along with Cinebench R20 at the same time I hover around 620w at the wall with a Kill-a-Watt, and that's with +100mv & 117% power limit on my 1080 Ti and my 9900K @ 5.0.

The only time I ran into issues with my setup is with the XOC BIOS on my 1080 Ti and it tripped OCP/OVP and shut down but that BIOS is stupid to run on air anyway. I just was curious :)

Either RMX would be a good buy, couldn't tell you about the FSP units since I never used one. They're the OEM for a lot of other PSUs though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...e14/edit#gid=0

Wish i had the budget to make a custom loop setup all over again and put the GPU under water. When i first built my current rig, my old 5870 was in the loop as well. Man, what a delight that was, almost silent except few fans on the rads.

For only 26$ difference i might pull the trigger on the 850w instead of the 750w. I know it is 100% psychological but sometimes i can't help myself. :)

Build is almost done i guess. Time to spend my right kidney i guess. :D

Shiftstealth 04-16-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatory (Post 27934792)
Wish i had the budget to make a custom loop setup all over again and put the GPU under water. When i first built my current rig, my old 5870 was in the loop as well. Man, what a delight that was, almost silent except few fans on the rads.

For only 26$ difference i might pull the trigger on the 850w instead of the 750w. I know it is 100% psychological but sometimes i can't help myself. :)

Build is almost done i guess. Time to spend my right kidney i guess. :D

FWIW i have the 2x120mm brother, X52 and a 9900K. With my 9900k @ 5.0Ghz 1.3v I usually hover around 64C in BFV & Anthem (Frostbite - A more CPU taxing engine). I suspect if it gamed at 85% utilization you'd hover probably 10c higher at 74C which is still reasonable. I wouldn't try to do 24/7 encoding on it at 1.3v on the X62, but for gaming it should be within reason. Temps won't be optimal, but they also won't be bad.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.