Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Windows (https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/)
-   -   Weird hang in project cars 2 seems network related (https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/1724484-weird-hang-project-cars-2-seems-network-related.html)

Phos 04-17-2019 03:05 PM

Weird hang in project cars 2 seems network related

So the issue I'm having is essentially this (kinda loud):

And the reason why I'm posting this here instead of in a gaming section is that the problem seems to only occur when the computer has an internet connection, it doesn't seem to matter how it has an internet connection, just that is has one. If I quickly alt tab out to the resource monitor it seems to happen at the same time as a spike of network activity but I haven't been able to figure out what's causing it. I've tried disabling everything I can think of to no avail, so how can I track which process is generating this activity?

diggiddi 04-17-2019 03:34 PM

What is your CPU activity at time of hang? also check your sata cables they could be the cause, you'd be surprised it happened to me

Phos 04-17-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggiddi (Post 27937182)
What is your CPU activity at time of hang? also check your sata cables they could be the cause, you'd be surprised it happened to me

Nothing, CPU usage is completely flat during the hitch. I can take a look at the cable, though. No other game shows problems from this, the only corroborating symptom is it comes along with a network spike but I can't figure out from what.

skupples 04-17-2019 04:25 PM

DRM issues?

Phos 04-17-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27937236)
DRM issues?

The project CARS 2 forum doesn't seem to recognise the issue, so I doubt it's DRM.

I'm looking for a program to record what processes are generating network activity and at what time. Wireshark seems more concerned with where it's going rather than what process is making it, but can it record and read out that stuff?

Phos 04-18-2019 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK it's late and the forum keeps eating my drafts. I'm getting terse.

Used Microsoft wireshark-like, it records processes as well as packets. Found like a hundred packets (connections?) all from within a thousandths of a second with empty to/from fields, so I think they're local? I don't know if they're normal, or if the weird timing of so many different things at once is normal. They seem to be microsoft, though.

Attached is a screenshot of an error that I don't understand being given for packets from the game itself. Some "System" packets had the same error. Is this the right forum for this?

While I'm at it, I happened to catch a tiny glimpse of what looked like a command prompt window (regular window filled with black), is there any real way to figure out what's doing that? I had project CARS 2 minimize abruptly while I was testing this stuff and I'm wondering if it could be related.

skupples 04-18-2019 03:23 AM

Now I gotta ask if your OS is up to date