Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/)
-   -   Powersupplies with least amount of AC ripple (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1725040-powersupplies-least-amount-ac-ripple.html)

XLifted 04-27-2019 01:53 PM

Powersupplies with least amount of AC ripple

Can someone share with me a list of power supplies with LEAST amount of AC ripple and greatest resistance to such things.

I went through 10 motherboards, and had severe VRM noise near mosfets, I have EVGA 1000w PQ, which I read great reviews of, but now people are saying it's a bad power supply and cause of my vrm noise and coil whine in GPU

Though I didn't have issues with previous z97 motherboard. It was dead silent.

Can someone suggest which Power Supplies have greatest resistance to AC ripple, and supply the most balanced ac current to my components

Because this VRM issue is horrible, I already have a powerconditioner from Furman, and it was not mitigating much of vrm noise on 97% of motherboards. So I guess it is pointed into my PSU...even though I had multiple systems with it, and no issues.

What also drew me to EVGA 1000w PQ was massive watt amount (just in case I do double CPU set ups), and silent fan, that stays off, until you reach 50 Celsius on psu components, and fan kicks on. My pc is silent with Noctua fans running a silent profile, until I game or use PC for anything heavy

That_1_Hz_Extra 04-27-2019 02:08 PM

Depends what you want to spend. I recently changed my Corsair HX1000 for a Corsair AX850 Titanium which is best sub 1000W PSU, but it is expensive!

shilka 04-27-2019 02:41 PM

Its not bad its mediocre as for lowest ripple the Seasonic Prime Ultra or its Corsair AX / Asus Thor rebrands are options
Or there is the EVGA G3 but that one has a design flaw that make it jump up and down in fan speed when used in its eco mode

You dont need to buy another 1000 watt unit by the way its a waste of your money if your system is not even drawing half that
The Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium is very quiet even during high loads

Cybenetics has a database with noise of all the units they have tested
https://www.cybenetics.com/

Edit: which reviews did you read by the way unless it was from a professional review site done by a professional reviewer its not a review its just a useless opinion by someone that is not a professional reviewer and almost every review on Amazon Newegg and other sites are such useless information

nanotm 04-27-2019 04:20 PM

if ripple is the problem shouldn't you be going for a UPS in the circuit between the wall outlet and the psu ?

its rare that a psu will add ripple to a stable input but quite common for them to have problems when your supply is constantly changing (the UPS once fully charged supply's a fixed output) in the UK for instance the power grid swings between 210 and 250v on a fairly regular basis (some areas might not have such a wide swing) and thats likely to get worse rather than better in the years ahead..

if I could get one that covered the whole house I would since replacing white goods when they burn out every few years is annoying and expensive (especially now most of them only have a 2 year guarantee) but there way to expensive a proposition for a guy on disability... so I just have a UPS that keeps the essentials covered (pc, router, phone, charger, nas box) and its got a 10 year guarantee... it also lets me save money when buying the psu

Pawelr98 04-27-2019 05:21 PM

Or just do extra LC filtering.
(L for inductance C for Capacitance)

Any switching type PSU will produce a lot of high-frequency ripple.
The amount depends on output filters.
Cheap PSU will come only with basic capacitor filter, better ones have it followed by extra LC stage.

Decent LC filter will cut down the high-frequency stuff a lot.
Series inductor followed by a parallel capacitor.

EVGA 1000w PQ does seem to have extra space inside for bigger output inductors.
Or you may try external filters by soldering them closely to the input of components.

XLifted 04-27-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanotm (Post 27947810)
if ripple is the problem shouldn't you be going for a UPS in the circuit between the wall outlet and the psu ?

its rare that a psu will add ripple to a stable input but quite common for them to have problems when your supply is constantly changing (the UPS once fully charged supply's a fixed output) in the UK for instance the power grid swings between 210 and 250v on a fairly regular basis (some areas might not have such a wide swing) and thats likely to get worse rather than better in the years ahead..

if I could get one that covered the whole house I would since replacing white goods when they burn out every few years is annoying and expensive (especially now most of them only have a 2 year guarantee) but there way to expensive a proposition for a guy on disability... so I just have a UPS that keeps the essentials covered (pc, router, phone, charger, nas box) and its got a 10 year guarantee... it also lets me save money when buying the psu

UPS, you mean a power conditioner? I am using Furman Power Conditioner SS6B
https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-P.../dp/B0002D017M

EDIT: Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-EC...ronics&sr=1-14

If not, please explain

Can you point me to one? If you mean something else, let me know, I have been looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27947738)
Its not bad its mediocre as for lowest ripple the Seasonic Prime Ultra or its Corsair AX / Asus Thor rebrands are options
Or there is the EVGA G3 but that one has a design flaw that make it jump up and down in fan speed when used in its eco mode

You dont need to buy another 1000 watt unit by the way its a waste of your money if your system is not even drawing half that
The Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium is very quiet even during high loads

Cybenetics has a database with noise of all the units they have tested
https://www.cybenetics.com/

Edit: which reviews did you read by the way unless it was from a professional review site done by a professional reviewer its not a review its just a useless opinion by someone that is not a professional reviewer and almost every review on Amazon Newegg and other sites are such useless information

I can't remember it was so long ago, seemed like legit reviews, but johny guru didn't even review this PSU, so hard to tell who was right, I can only say this after people stated it, and my ac ripple issues, at least in my house.

Problem with Seasonics is the sound the motor on the fan makes, is not good.
Or on Focus plus (same thing) Churning sound... :(
I actually cancelled my purchase couple of hours ago, because of this, before I even read your response

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawelr98 (Post 27947844)
Or just do extra LC filtering.
(L for inductance C for Capacitance)

Any switching type PSU will produce a lot of high-frequency ripple.
The amount depends on output filters.
Cheap PSU will come only with basic capacitor filter, better ones have it followed by extra LC stage.

Decent LC filter will cut down the high-frequency stuff a lot.
Series inductor followed by a parallel capacitor.

EVGA 1000w PQ does seem to have extra space inside for bigger output inductors.
Or you may try external filters by soldering them closely to the input of components.

No soldering for me, I will void warranty, and also I have zero skills soldering. A no-no for personal work
Can you point me to a video maybe where I can watch the process?

XLifted 04-27-2019 10:11 PM

I would like to spend less than $200 on PSU, preferably under $150
Somewhere in 850w range

Corsair sounds not bad at all based on Johny Gurus reviews, but it's not silent, how loud it is, I am not sure.
My previous Corsair 650w was not good, it would produce hum, and fan was kind of loud compared to Noctua NF-F12s

shilka 04-28-2019 01:15 AM

The Corsair RMx is one of the most quiet series on the market but it comes at the cost of it running pretty hot

XLifted 04-28-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27948104)
The Corsair RMx is one of the most quiet series on the market but it comes at the cost of it running pretty hot

Oh MAN! The constant caveat! I was about to buy it

Why is it running hot? How hot?

I have 2nd chamber for PSU (Corsair Air 540), but too hot could be a deal breaker.
I have EVGA PQ 1000w in there currently, and it's slightly warmer than my room.

shilka 04-28-2019 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLifted (Post 27948136)
Oh MAN! The constant caveat! I was about to buy it

Why is it running hot? How hot?

I have 2nd chamber for PSU (Corsair Air 540), but too hot could be a deal breaker.
I have EVGA PQ 1000w in there currently, and it's slightly warmer than my room.

I dont own one myself but the reason why its so quiet is because fan speed is so low and the result is it gets hotter than other units with higher fan speeds
Reports from others say its hot to the touch whatever that means

You could turn the hybrid fan mode off so the fan runs all the time that would fix the temperature problem but at the cost of noise