Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Windows (https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/)
-   -   Windows 7 to 10 Clean install with 7 Image? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/1725138-windows-7-10-clean-install-7-image.html)

Hawk777th 04-29-2019 04:49 PM

Windows 7 to 10 Clean install with 7 Image?

I am needing to upgrade a system with Windows 7 to 10. This is easy enough but I am needing to replace the SSD that the 7 install is on.

Can I clean install 10 to fresh SSD and select the 7 Image as a restore in setup? Is this possible? Or am I better off upgrading to Windows 10 on old SSD then imagining it and restoring it to new SSD?

Thanks

kgtuning 04-29-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk777th (Post 27949626)
I am needing to upgrade a system with Windows 7 to 10. This is easy enough but I am needing to replace the SSD that the 7 install is on.

Can I clean install 10 to fresh SSD and select the 7 Image as a restore in setup? Is this possible? Or am I better off upgrading to Windows 10 on old SSD then imagining it and restoring it to new SSD?

Thanks

Are just trying to maintain the license? or the information on the drive? If you are trying to maintain the license then upgrade the old SSD to Win 10 then clean install windows 10.

Hawk777th 04-29-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgtuning (Post 27949670)
Are just trying to maintain the license? or the information on the drive? If you are trying to maintain the license then upgrade the old SSD to Win 10 then clean install windows 10.

Have to maintain the the info on the drive preferably where it was before.

XAslanX 04-29-2019 05:57 PM

Use magic jelly bean to get the windows 7 key if you don't have it already and take note of the version (home, pro, etc.).
Download the windows 10 installer from microsoft.
When installing on the new SSD, select the version that matches the version Windows 7 is.
Select I do not have a key when installing.
Install updates and what not after installation.
Then activate Windows 10 using the windows 7 key.

Hawk777th 04-30-2019 05:35 AM

I have my keys thats not the issue.

The issue is how to bring this 7 machine up to 10 from an image.

I guess it would just be best to upgrade it to 10 then image it to the new drive.

I only asked cause I had read somewhere that with Windows 10 media you can use a 7 image during installation and keep your stuff.

Perfect world would be Clean drive 10 install use 7 image during install which is what I read but not sure if thats bunk.

I was wanting to leave this 7 install that works alone. But I guess I can just image it and if 10 screws something up I can use a 7 install to recover it.