Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Windows (https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/)
-   -   Windows 10 Disable Defender Firewall (https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/1725182-windows-10-disable-defender-firewall.html)

Twist86 04-30-2019 04:52 PM

Windows 10 Disable Defender Firewall

So this piece of crap firewall from Microsoft is about to make me snap, it keeps randomly changing/blocking programs I've allowed through and it keeps renabling itself and blocking file transfers within my network, it's slowing my traffic down....I want to disable it but nothing seems to work. I'm running Windows 10 1809 OS build 17763.437, I've blocked downloads from Windows with TinyWall to control what gets updated.

Thanks for any help.

NeoReaper 04-30-2019 04:58 PM

You should be able to disable it (Windows Defender Firewall) in Services. If not, use Regedit and change the key here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\mpssvc
Set the Startup key to 4 and reboot.
That should stop Windows Defender Firewall from restarting.
EDIT: The space in services won't delete after saving changes to my post, the space in "Services" shouldn't be there.

Twist86 04-30-2019 05:13 PM

Thank you so much, for some reason Google brings up old results and I've spent the past 2 hours looking around at solutions. Worked like a charm and all my problems have no disappeared. Thank you again.

*edit*
One question though, would this effect other firewalls installed? I ask because TinyWall is not booting up now.

NeoReaper 04-30-2019 05:54 PM

This shouldn't affect other firewalls unless they communicate/control Windows' firewall. I never had an issue when disabling it when using Bitdefender (before I removed it, now I just rely on Windows Firewall)

The Pook 04-30-2019 06:00 PM

Disabling Windows Firewall is gonna break a lot of online MS Store games if you play any, FWIW. It's impossible to play Forza Horizon 4 online with it disabled, and just enabling before loading it up it doesn't work. You need to do a restart after re-enabling it. Kind of a PITA.

Twist86 05-01-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoReaper (Post 27950884)
This shouldn't affect other firewalls unless they communicate/control Windows' firewall. I never had an issue when disabling it when using Bitdefender (before I removed it, now I just rely on Windows Firewall)

Some reason it prevents TinyWall from booting up once I do it, I shot an email to the creators to ask them what's going on...I might just need a few firewall, thank you however since until then I can at least transfer files on my network again.

NexusRed 05-01-2019 06:39 PM

Before you disabled Windows Firewall, have you thought about reparing it and/or starting fresh? I'm having a hard time believing that it cannot remember the allow/deny rules that you set, unless you just ignore the firewall prompts when they pop up. Kinda silly to remove the door to your system which will grant easy access for all types of malicious stuff to happen.

Darren9 05-01-2019 06:46 PM

"TinyWall is a free software to harden and control the advanced firewall built into modern Windows systems". It seems to pretty much say that it's hooking in to Defender and killing that will also kill TinyWall?

The problem with hooking into Defender and "improving" it is MS can change it whenever they feel like. It's not just TinyWall that's been affected, enterprise antivirus software from Avast, Avira, McAfee and Sophos have all suffered.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...s-and-freezes/

mattliston 05-01-2019 07:23 PM

Have you considered that you may have been infected somehow?

download and run malwarebytes antimalware. it gets a LOT of the annoying things that I deal with when I repair/refresh friends and family member's computers.

spybot anti spyware works really well too, but I dont leave it installed. I just get it all updated, do a few cleaning runs, and then uninstall it

I recommend disconnecting from the internet whenever you do scans, and after doing updates, disconnect from internet, then reboot. You may have to disable the device you use in device manager to prevent it from reconnecting upon rebooting.

NewUser16 05-02-2019 06:56 PM

I'm still on windows 7 x64 pro and so far is good but lately I've been thinking on upgrading to win10 so I was looking at some of the cons and pros.
The defender firewall is the first thing I was trying to disabled and it works, its turned off but not in services, it's all grayed out and don't matter what, it won't change. I want to stop and disable completely because I'm using Outpost firewall pro and avast antivirus pro, these 2 work great in combination with win10

I've heard that you can actually change that in win 10 pro and enterprise, also you can defer updates which is nice thing but I don't know. Guys is it worth upgrading, If I do upgrade it will be to Win 10 pro.

Any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated