Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/)
-   -   x470 ultra gaming 2700x OC (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1725402-x470-ultra-gaming-2700x-oc.html)

Nitethorn 05-05-2019 12:27 PM

x470 ultra gaming 2700x OC
 
Hey guys, hoping someone here may have some useful advice for me. I have a 2700x on a Gigabyte x470 ultra gaming. Using G.Skill ripjaws V cl14 2x8 gb (Samsung b-die). Cooling cpu with evga clc 240. Tons of airflow in case.

I have been trying to OC my 2700x without much success. I can get stable at 4ghz fairly easily but to go beyond that has been frustrating. Part of the problem is the bios for the mb, which is updated to latest bios (f30). I even watched buildzoid's video on the bios but it wasn't all that helpful. Leaving the RAM at xmp profile (14-14-14-36 1.35v), I can OC to 4.2 if I max the vcore offset which is only +0.3, but it isn't stable. Even bumped the SoC voltage a bit as well. Prime95 crashes after about 3 - 5 minutes of running. My games will randomly crash after anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours of playing. On rare occasions it will take 2 tries to even post. So I dialed it down to 4.15, same voltage. Same issues. If I go down to 4ghz, everything is rock stable but I'm not content to leave it there. When I run the little bench with CPU-Z and use a 2700x as reference, I slightly beat the multicore score but am still 30pts off on single core. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with this exact motherboard/bios and overclocking a 2700x on it.

PS: If I leave CPU settings at default, I can use Ryzen DRAM Calculator to run RAM at 3400mhz and even tighter timings than xmp with 1.43v. But then OC'ing the CPU is even more difficult. *sigh*

Full specs
Ryzen 7 2700x
Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming (latest bios)
G.Skill Ripjaws V C14 2x8gb
Corsair Bronze 750W PSU
GTX 970 (nvidia reference design) modded bios @1439 boost
EVGA CLC 240 AIO CPU Cooler
Phanteks P400s case, modified for extra airflow, 6 fans

BroadPwns 05-05-2019 12:32 PM

You forgot to menton speed of Ripjaws. Also, it's rather common for 2700/x to not be able to do 4.2GHz all core.

Nitethorn 05-05-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 27956524)
You forgot to menton speed of Ripjaws. Also, it's rather common for 2700/x to not be able to do 4.2GHz all core.

Sorry, it's the 3200 kit.

shilka 05-05-2019 12:52 PM

What model is that Corsair PSU you have? if its a CX750 or the TX750 gen 1 with the orange sticker then sory to say its not very good

Nitethorn 05-05-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27956548)
What model is that Corsair PSU you have? if its a CX750 or the TX750 gen 1 with the orange sticker then sory to say its not very good

It's the CX750 but there is no orange sticker. Worked great in my old system to OC my fx 8320 to 4.4ghz stable, but do you think it might be part of my problem with the 2700x?

shilka 05-05-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitethorn (Post 27956592)
It's the CX750 but there is no orange sticker. Worked great in my old system to OC my fx 8320 to 4.4ghz stable, but do you think it might be part of my problem with the 2700x?

Its the old TX750 that has an orange sticker and as for the CX750 its not very good and i dont believe it fits in a modern high end system and its the worst part you have by far
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...-cx750-v1.html

Nitethorn 05-05-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27956600)
Its the old TX750 that has an orange sticker and as for the CX750 its not very good and i dont believe it fits in a modern high end system and its the worst part you have by far
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...-cx750-v1.html

EVGA SuperNova G3 Gold 850W

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438092

I can get one of these from their b-stock site fairly cheap. Think that would help me rule out p/s issues?

shilka 05-05-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitethorn (Post 27956658)
EVGA SuperNova G3 Gold 850W

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438092

I can get one of these from their b-stock site fairly cheap. Think that would help me rule out p/s issues?

As long as you dont mind the noise when used in eco mode and 850 watts is way overkill if you only got a single GPU hell a 550 watt could power your system with no problems
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...e-problem.html

The Seasonic Focus Plus or Prime Ultra would be other suggestions or the Corsair RMx if you are a quiet freak
As long as you dont have the Asus Strix GTX 970 and buy a Seasonic Foucs Plus Gold those two for some very strange reason dont work together

Nitethorn 05-05-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27956686)
As long as you dont mind the noise when used in eco mode and 850 watts is way overkill if you only got a single GPU hell a 550 watt could power your system with no problems
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...e-problem.html

The Seasonic Focus Plus or Prime Ultra would be other suggestions or the Corsair RMx if you are a quiet freak
As long as you dont have the Asus Strix GTX 970 and buy a Seasonic Foucs Plus Gold those two for some very strange reason dont work together

I appreciate the info. I'll upgrade the PSU to something more modern and efficient and retest. I might be back looking for more OC advice. :) Thanks for your help.

Xinoxide 05-05-2019 03:01 PM

No one even asks for stop codes anymore.

Though I agree the PSU is definately the one part of the system that might hold you back, my last issue with OCing(?) was windows errors, solved by an sfc /scannow.

I've got a solid 4.2 on a 3 phase board with an overkill PSU. There could possibly be other factors involved.

If replacing the psu doesnt do it, read your memory dumps with bluescreenview to really try and narrow your specific issues down.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.