Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   General Processor Discussions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/)
-   -   Looking for general build help (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1725484-looking-general-build-help.html)

Belial 05-07-2019 03:09 AM

Looking for general build help

So I used to be really big into building PCs, overclocking, etc, but life has happened and well now I don't do that so much anymore. However it's been a good 5+ years since I built my last pc so looking for a new one and everything is different now.

My needs aren't very demanding, just general gaming and I might stream or record stuff. I have plenty of funds so I'm not worried about spending too much. I will probably do a minor CPU overclock and maybe RAM but won't push it like I did in the past.

I was thinking about buying an Intel i9-9900k but not too sure on what else. Just a nice Gigabyte board (they've worked well in the past but don't know what's changed or if an Asus or something would be better). A nice SSD (just some samsung ssd I guess, I have an 860 evo I could use). I have no idea what RAM to get, probably 2x16gb. Not sure on a PSU, maybe some seasonic... A NZXT AIO 280mm cooler.

Not sure on case, I might even want to go with like a micro/mini ATX this time around. Just some single GPU...

Thanks.

Cryptedvick 05-07-2019 03:39 AM

If money is not an issue I would advise you to pick up the following:
Asus Maximus XI Hero/Z390 Aorus Xtreme/Z390 Taichi for ATX and Gene XI for mATX
16-32GB of 3200Mhz at CL14-CL15 to get Samsung B dies.
RTX2080Ti or RTX2080 of whichever preference.
Corsair RM750x PSU
Noctua NHD15/Dark Rock Pro 4 for cooling. Avoid CLC cooler such as the one you pointed out because they are not much better in terms of cooling, are much louder and you're also having to deal with potential leaks, pump failures, possible degrading performance, heating up the GPU if mounted in the front (which is where you'd want it for optimum cooling performance). Also, an air cooler will also provide some extra airflow to the VRMs of the motherboard. Mind you, these top end air coolers will not fit in a mATX build so if you really want to go that way, then the only option would be the best CLC you can find that would fit in whichever case you pick up.
As for the case, just get something you like but don't cheap out. Be sure to also pick up some good case fans as well.
An optimum solution would be a case with intake fans on the front panel, at least 2, one on the bottom pushing up inside the case, one on the side panel to take out hot air from the GPU and 2 more on the back and top to take out hot air from the CPU.
If you can find a case that would fit this profile and looks good for you, go for it.

shilka 05-07-2019 04:16 AM

Dont get a CLC cooler they are overrated overhyped and overpriced
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

Air cooling is cheaper more quiet and more reliable

Belial 05-07-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Asus Maximus XI Hero/Z390 Aorus Xtreme/Z390 Taichi for ATX and Gene XI for mATX
Asrock sucked back in my day with bad VRMs. Gigabyte is nice but never used asus, might try them out. Been having mobo issues with haswell anyways.

Quote:

16-32GB of 3200Mhz at CL14-CL15 to get Samsung B dies.
Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. Any specific recs?

Quote:

Corsair RM750x PSU
Aren't corsairs just a rebrand of something else?

Surprised for the hate on CLCs. 280mm CLC will definitely cool a few degrees better than a high end air cooler like NH-D15, I've owned D15s and done a lot of CLCs and have done a ton of testing with coolers (as linked in my signature).

Certain coolers are only louder based on the fans used and the speed used. You can also put 4x fans on a 280mm which can make your build significantly more quiet and cool better too.

Quote:

Dont get a CLC cooler they are overrated overhyped and overpriced
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

Air cooling is cheaper more quiet and more reliable
Never had a CLC fail. Otherwise depends on the CLC in question for performance but 280mm CLCs will outperform any air cooler. CLCs are also better for a mobile set up.

Price is not a big concern for me, and a 9900K will definitely require more than high end air cooling (as opposed to say, maybe an i5).

Really I should be using custom water, but I'm lazy, and I am not a fan of complex builds anymore (my current build is ridiculously complex, ie I have an arduino plugged into 5VSB to open the side door like a lambo with a button push coded to not allow redundant pushes or an action to override a current action, a backup battery system, a custom water loop, a custom case I built, custom sleeving, etc).

Belial 05-07-2019 11:05 PM

Not against swiftech but I don't like pastel. I use it in my current loop and it gunks up really bad.

UltraMega 05-07-2019 11:21 PM

Really not much has changed in the last 5 years. Games still don't need more than 8 threads or more than 16Gbs of ram (8Gbs really)

Ram went from DDR3 to DDR4?

I have the 2500K I bought 8 years ago in my GFs PC and it holds up just fine.

Just get a decent CPU with a decent mobo (9900k is overkill)
16GBs DDR4 ram
500gb-1TB ssd + 2-4TB HDD for storage,

and spend the rest of your main budget on the best GPU you can afford.

shilka 05-08-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belial (Post 27959712)
Aren't corsairs just a rebrand of something else?

Almost everything other than FSP Seasonic HighPower and a few others are rebrands of something else
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_a...wDatabase.html

Cryptedvick 05-08-2019 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belial (Post 27959712)
Asrock sucked back in my day with bad VRMs. Gigabyte is nice but never used asus, might try them out. Been having mobo issues with haswell anyways.

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. Any specific recs?

Asrock has changed quite a bit in the past years, producing very good motherboards with very good VRMs, especially on Z370 and Z390.
The Taichi mobos are among the best price/performance you can get, next to the K6. Personally I have the Z370 Taichi and coming from Gigabyte only mobos in the past, their UDx series, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by its performance and many reviews out there confirm their quality, which is why I went with one.

Regarding rams, there is no definitive list of B dies rams but you can spot them by their specs. Mostly, 3200 14.14.14, 3600 16.16.16 and 4000+ Mhz 2x8GB kits will be Samsung B dies. So take your pick from Corsair vengeance LPX and RGB, Gskill tridentZ and others with these specs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...nfusion_eg_on/
This is an incomplete list of B dies that I found on reddit, which might help you.

Belial 05-09-2019 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27959728)
Really not much has changed in the last 5 years. Games still don't need more than 8 threads or more than 16Gbs of ram (8Gbs really)

Ram went from DDR3 to DDR4?

I have the 2500K I bought 8 years ago in my GFs PC and it holds up just fine.

Just get a decent CPU with a decent mobo (9900k is overkill)
16GBs DDR4 ram
500gb-1TB ssd + 2-4TB HDD for storage,

and spend the rest of your main budget on the best GPU you can afford.

Back in my day it was 2 cores, and maybe 4 cores for AAA titles. i7s were reserved for streaming, back when justin.tv was around and twitch wasn't even a thing. My i5 4560k build is more than powerful enough still, I'm just running into some really weird issues that I can't explain and it's time enough to build a new pc anyways (computer wasn't posting or booting, literally replaced every single component and the issue still occurred, and then it stopped, but that's a whole other issue).

I can afford a 9900K. I used to have the 4770k and that was perfect, but the i5 is lacking for when I want to stream or record stuff.
16GB probably isn't enough, I feel like I come close to using that up. 32GB please.

I might do that fancy 1tb plugin drive. Samsung 970 Pro 1TB. I never use much storage space up (although I did eventually after 5 years start filling up my 250gb samsung 830 and that got a bit annoying).

I'll go with the Asus maximus board. Maybe the wifi because why not although I always use wired... maybe when im on the road or something the wireless would be nice. whatever.

Honestly don't need a great GPU. That's an easy swap out anytime I want. I play mostly CPU driven games when I do game.

Probably just get some Seasonic PSU. I'm not sure which one though, power consumption has grown these days it seems. PSU is a big deal to me, I've had quite a few PSU's die on me because I have a lot of dog hair get sucked up by them (it's not that much but after some years I guess it acculumates even with regular cleaning). I'd probably need modular because of the inevitable PSU death. Honestly I prefer non-modular for looks but my last PC build was SO complex that I'm really looking for an extremely easy computer. Something that if things fail in the future, they're easy to swap out. I pretty much had to gut my current build just to replace the most basic of components for troubleshooting.

Literally had to remove massive custom plexiglass panels I put around the PSU and around wiring. They looked sexy as hell but having to remove multiple layers of plexiglass and paneling. Ugh. Not fun. My fault.

Not sure on cases. What's a cool case. Maybe the nzxt 500 series?

shilka 05-09-2019 03:37 AM

If you plan on using an NVME drive (such as the 970 Evo and Pro) for gaming dont bother its only a second faster at most due to software limitations so there is no point and you might as well stick with using a drive using the older AHCI protocole its not much slower and often much cheaper