Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [tg] Chrome Will Soon Let You Stop Advertisers from Tracking You (EXCEPT GOOGLE'S) (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1725518-tg-chrome-will-soon-let-you-stop-advertisers-tracking-you-except-googles.html)

TK421 05-07-2019 01:55 PM

[tg] Chrome Will Soon Let You Stop Advertisers from Tracking You (EXCEPT GOOGLE'S)

Quote:

First, Google wants Chrome users to have more information about the cookies that third-parties set to follow their antics through the internet. The new tool will also give you the option to block all third-party tracking from marketing companies that use your information to make their money.The Journal reports that Google has been working on this tool on and off for six years now. However, recent privacy controversies, such as Facebook’s infamous Cambridge Analytica scandal, have reportedly accelerated the development. The new filters, the newspaper claims, will only be targeted at “profit-seeking companies,” so cookies that, say, store login information so you don’t have to keep re-entering it can stay intact.If you’re thinking that it’s weird that Google — which makes money tracking and targeting people on the internet for ads and commerce — is adding these privacy features to Chrome, consider the fact that Google will likely not apply these filters to its own cookies. According to the Journal, “the coming changes aren’t expected to curtail significantly Google’s ability to collect data.”Effectively, this could wipe out Google’s competition for all Chrome users, leaving the Mountain View company with the same data tracking abilities it needs to make its pennies.

Source: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-...ews-30014.html

You'll be a good boy and let Google track you, right?

Imouto 05-07-2019 02:23 PM

What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

JackCY 05-07-2019 02:31 PM

Nothing more than a money grab from Alphabet/Google, killing competition and using their web browser market share dominance. Maybe in next millennium people will finally wake up and stop using that spying bloatware.

TK421 05-07-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 27959260)
Nothing more than a money grab from Alphabet/Google, killing competition and using their web browser market share dominance. Maybe in next millennium people will finally wake up and stop using that spying bloatware.

What, you want people to stop being good goys and use another software that supposedly "respects" them?

Preposterous.

UltraMega 05-07-2019 11:51 PM

Google is an advertising company above all else. I use edge. Better of two evils.

xJumper 05-08-2019 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27959740)
I use edge. Better of two evils.

LOL

No really, lol. How is Edge or Chrome better than FF in this regard (that of tracking/advertising blocking) or any FF distro with all it's add/script blocking utilities?

Running FF with uBlock in hard mode or uMatirx, NoScript, Decentraleyes, HTTPS everywhere, hardened user.js, etc it's like I'm not even using the same internet as other people. Their internet gets them tons of ads, owned by trackers and malware injection and their own advertising ID. My internet through FF I'm raping everyone of content for free, it loads faster, has less bs flashing across my screen and is safer in every single way. You can't do half of that in Edge.

No way Google's "improved" Chrome would even come close to basic uBlock/NoScript levels of protection.

ToTheSun! 05-08-2019 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper (Post 27959790)
No way Google's "improved" Chrome would even come close to basic uBlock/NoScript levels of protection.

That's not a very fair comparison because you can add uBlock and ScriptSafe (the latter of which I consider even better than NoScript after having used both for years) to Chrome for the same functionality.

Though, in the spirit of the thread, I understand your overall point of view. Mozilla doesn't have the same interest as Google, as companies, in certain revenue streams, which are frequently to the detriment of the user.

TK421 05-08-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27959740)
Google is an advertising company above all else. I use edge. Better of two evils.

If only edge stayed edge html

bigjdubb 05-08-2019 07:15 AM

Seems like it's better than doing nothing at all.

xJumper 05-08-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27959822)
That's not a very fair comparison because you can add uBlock and ScriptSafe (the latter of which I consider even better than NoScript after having used both for years) to Chrome for the same functionality.

Though, in the spirit of the thread, I understand your overall point of view. Mozilla doesn't have the same interest as Google, as companies, in certain revenue streams, which are frequently to the detriment of the user.

It might have evened out now but for a long time add-ons like NoScript just weren't supported on Chrome and the likes as I don't think Chrome ever supported XUL/XPCOM extensions which was the only format these add-ons came on for a while. While official FF does not support it anymore there's a few things you can do with the still supported legacy XUL add-ons (NoScript being one of them) that you can't do on stock FF or any HTML web extension browser like Chrome.

Blocking scripts and malware domains is only half the battle though, blocking unique identifiers is the much harder other half. FF has several features from TOR browser accessible in the about:config that you can turn on which will drastically help fight off trackers, none of which is possible in Chrome or Edge.

Anyway I'm not so much crapping on Chrome as I am on Edge. Chrome is what it is, but Edge... LOL.... Excuse of a browser.

btw what features found in ScriptSafe make you think it's better than NoScript? I'm genuinely intrigued.