Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Wccftech]Intel Comet Lake-S 10 Core CPUs Allegedly Require New Socket (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1725602-wccftech-intel-comet-lake-s-10-core-cpus-allegedly-require-new-socket.html)

downlinx 05-09-2019 09:06 AM

[Wccftech]Intel Comet Lake-S 10 Core CPUs Allegedly Require New Socket

Quote:

Intel Comet Lake-S Supported on 400 Series Motherboards With New LGA Socket, 10nm Ice Lake-S Would Be Compatible With 495 Series Boards
It looks like Intel’s upcoming Comet Lake-S processors would end up being supported on a new socket, ending backward compatibility on existing motherboards. According to the latest leaks & listings within the new Intel server chipset driver, there are at least two chipset generations after 300 series that are planned for launch for next-generation processors.
Source: https://wccftech.com/intel-comet-lak...ew-lga-socket/

WannaBeOCer 05-09-2019 09:06 AM

Rumor

Hwgeek 05-09-2019 09:18 AM

Why not? if 8th gen required new socket and MB cause of power requirements, we are looking at 2 more cores that Intel will push to 5.0Ghz+, thinks about 9900K real power requirement and add another 25% min.
9990XE is only 14C and it's crazy on Power consumption.
From Anand on 9990XE power requirements:
Quote:

Other details about the chip that we have learned include that it will have a listed TDP of 255W, which means the peak power will be higher. Motherboard vendors will have to support 420 amps on the power delivery for the chip (which at 1.3 volts would be 546 watts), and up to 30 amps per core.
They wont go for low clock 10C to compete against 12~16C Ryzens, they will try push the clocks to make it look better on Gaming and ST performance.

Raghar 05-09-2019 10:11 AM

Again new socket? C'mon can't we have nice things and when we have 14 nm for 5 years, at least change chipset at most once? Or is it yet another situation when Intel would create new chipset/socket just because, and then find it doesn't have enough manufacturing capacities?

Hwgeek 05-09-2019 10:44 AM

They can go for 1151v3 :-)

Shawnb99 05-09-2019 11:03 AM

Of course it will be. Gotta give us some reason to buy new MB’s.

Brutuz 05-09-2019 12:12 PM

Of course it does. Intel now has convinced people to literally defend them for under-designing the power output on their sockets and requiring a new one due to a mere core bump as a result. (Not to mention the fact it doesn't make sense: If a socket can run a 5Ghz 7700k, it can sure as heck run at least a 8700 at stock.)

bigjdubb 05-09-2019 12:17 PM

I don't really have an issue with this. I know it bothers some people but I hate the possibility of limitations due to maintaining backwards compatibility. I would much rather have as much new stuff as possible with each release than have the ability to use an old motherboard.

I know that those reasons may not be why they do it, they sell chipsets as well as processors, but I am going to buy a new motherboard anyways. I have no use for a processor with no motherboard to put it in so I always get a new one with the new processor so that I can do something with the processor I am replacing.

criminal 05-09-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjdubb (Post 27961300)
I don't really have an issue with this. I know it bothers some people but I hate the possibility of limitations due to maintaining backwards compatibility. I would much rather have as much new stuff as possible with each release than have the ability to use an old motherboard.

I know that those reasons may not be why they do it, they sell chipsets as well as processors, but I am going to buy a new motherboard anyways. I have no use for a processor with no motherboard to put it in so I always get a new one with the new processor so that I can do something with the processor I am replacing.

True that.

doom26464 05-09-2019 03:11 PM

This is a big piss off.

I had some sort of blind hope I could at least drop in intels up coming 10 core into my z390 board, but in the back of my mind I knew that was wishful thinking anyways.