Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [AnandTech] Intel Xeon Update: Ice Lake and Cooper Lake Sampling, Faster Future Updates (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1725656-anandtech-intel-xeon-update-ice-lake-cooper-lake-sampling-faster-future-updates.html)

WannaBeOCer 05-10-2019 07:57 AM

[AnandTech] Intel Xeon Update: Ice Lake and Cooper Lake Sampling, Faster Future Updates

2 Attachment(s)
Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14314...-lake-sampling

Quote:

Intel will launch its Ice Lake Xeon processors around four quarters after its Cascade Lake Xeon processors, a shorter than usual timeframe between Xeon releases. According to the chip giant, this will become its new introduction cadence and going forward it will release new generations of Xeon platforms every four to five quarters, down from five to seven quarters today.

Following the Ice Lake Xeon in 2020, Intel plans to release 'Sapphire Rapids' processors for servers in 2021. These chips will likely be made using Intel’s 10++ nm process technology and will rely on a new microarchitecture along with various enhancements to optimize performance in various workloads. We expect the platform to support new connectivity standards given the introduction timeframe. Meanwhile, it is too early to discuss CPU core count, platform capabilities, and other peculiarities. Following the Sapphire Rapids will come Intel’s ‘Next-Gen’ server CPU in 2022 that may be made using a variation of Intel’s 7 nm process technology, depending on how production goes.

Hwgeek 05-10-2019 08:22 AM

Damn. The slides department looks like working 24/7 in full steam!...
IMO they are trying to stop the stock price free fall, over 20% in two weeks.
This is what happens when you have 99% of the market-share for many years and you can charge as much as you want for your products and Bamm, 1 Day you get Real competition with 32C at third of your current price and before you Blink the competitor has 64C CPU's.
This makes me happy since we all know that Intel's engineers could have made amazing product and development in last 10 years but the Marketing department was having all the power, now the engineers must be happy to get all the new R&D money and much more freedom and appreciation so can make Intel Great again :-).

JackCY 05-11-2019 05:14 PM

Marketing department having power, LOL. It's the managers as always, people in charge that decide what gets made and funded. "Management department" not marketing.

Without competition no market segment innovates.

guttheslayer 05-11-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwgeek (Post 27962278)
Damn. The slides department looks like working 24/7 in full steam!...
IMO they are trying to stop the stock price free fall, over 20% in two weeks.
This is what happens when you have 99% of the market-share for many years and you can charge as much as you want for your products and Bamm, 1 Day you get Real competition with 32C at third of your current price and before you Blink the competitor has 64C CPU's.
This makes me happy since we all know that Intel's engineers could have made amazing product and development in last 10 years but the Marketing department was having all the power, now the engineers must be happy to get all the new R&D money and much more freedom and appreciation so can make Intel Great again :-).

Its too late, I hope everything about Intel crashes.

And guess what, the new Comet-Lake I heard need new motherboard for its CPU again. You can see their stubbornness in gouging their fan? LOL.

P.S, they need change that naming scheme, it is so confusing now, why are they still on "lake" till now?

magnek 05-11-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guttheslayer (Post 27963606)
Its too late, I hope everything about Intel crashes.

And guess what, the new Comet-Lake I heard need new motherboard for its CPU again. You can see their stubbornness in gouging their fan? LOL.

P.S, they need change that naming scheme, it is so confusing now, why are they still on "lake" till now?

They know their customers well. ;)

The Robot 05-11-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guttheslayer (Post 27963606)

They're still on "lake" because it's the exact same architecture. All their current CPUs are just tweaks of Skylake. It's funny that they're inadvertently being honest about it.

m4fox90 05-12-2019 01:49 AM

Intel thinks they'll be pushing out 10nm++ in 2021, that's cute.

guttheslayer 05-12-2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Robot (Post 27963794)
They're still on "lake" because it's the exact same architecture. All their current CPUs are just tweaks of Skylake. It's funny that they're inadvertently being honest about it.

so is a refresh of the refresh of the refresh of the...

I think you get the idea.

ozlay 05-12-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guttheslayer (Post 27963902)
so is a refresh of the refresh of the refresh of the...
I think you get the idea.

And that is exactly why you need a new board. If intel didn't use a new socket every time. How would the motherboard manufacturers make any money? That is why some of the manufacturers are choosing not to put zen 2 support on older boards.

The Robot 05-12-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozlay (Post 27964024)
And that is exactly why you need a new board. If intel didn't use a new socket every time. How would the motherboard manufacturers make any money? That is why some of the manufacturers are choosing not to put zen 2 support on older boards.

"A socket change a year keeps the sheep in fear!" :D