Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   General Processor Discussions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/)
-   -   Laptop CPU for intensive MSWord and LaTeX work (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1725688-laptop-cpu-intensive-msword-latex-work.html)

Crag 05-10-2019 04:25 PM

Laptop CPU for intensive MSWord and LaTeX work

Hi all!

I want to get a new laptop for my PhD studies, and that means a lot of MSWord and LaTeX work (300 pages paper).
So my question is: is an i3 8xxxU enough to have great performance with such tasks, or should I consider an i5 8xxxU? or what about alternatives from AMD?

Thanks!

DoctorNick 05-15-2019 04:48 AM

Basically can't find a PC that isn't capable of running that. Go with Intel or AMD. You might be able to find a good offering with AMD, just make sure you get 8gb of ram and a SSD harddrive.

verovdp 05-15-2019 03:24 PM

i3 8xxxU series is indeed sufficient for academic tasks like MS Office and LaTeX. however you would be wise to invest in a laptop with an i5 8xxxU series cpu as that will allow for more flexibility with extra tasks, browser tabs for research, etc. More money up front, but less likely to have an issue running something more strenuous when the need arises. AMD powered laptops are a suitable alternative, but Intel still has the edge when it comes to overall battery life and the availability of more well rounded systems from laptop OEMs.

Crag 05-17-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verovdp (Post 27968078)
i3 8xxxU series is indeed sufficient for academic tasks like MS Office and LaTeX. however you would be wise to invest in a laptop with an i5 8xxxU series cpu as that will allow for more flexibility with extra tasks, browser tabs for research, etc. More money up front, but less likely to have an issue running something more strenuous when the need arises. AMD powered laptops are a suitable alternative, but Intel still has the edge when it comes to overall battery life and the availability of more well rounded systems from laptop OEMs.

Well yeah... I am not the kind of person who buys his gadgets frequently, I am still using my 400$ AMD E1 powered Toshiba laptop, I think I should take the chances and get an 8th gen i5 laptop, despite the sad fact that they are overpriced here in Russia. Laptops cost extra ~100$ than in the US, and they have downgraded specs (HDDs instead of SSDs and 6G RAM out of the box).