Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   General Processor Discussions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/)
-   -   Shipping A CPU With Liquid Metal Inside? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1725936-shipping-cpu-liquid-metal-inside.html)

Aprojectile 05-15-2019 02:13 PM

Shipping A CPU With Liquid Metal Inside?

Hello, just a small simple question. I'm about to sell my 4770k online and I was curious if it would be safe to ship it with the liquid metal I have applied to it? Or if the shipping could cause the LM to spill off the die and short or the resistors that are around the die.

BroadPwns 05-15-2019 02:16 PM

After putting the IHS surface tension is going to keep it on the die.

skupples 05-15-2019 02:52 PM

it should be fine.

I mean, the PC has been sitting vertical all this time, right?

You should try the solder pads next, if they still make em. Screw liquid metal, just reflow some solder between chip & block. It was a terrifying first application, but my 4930k has been running w/ solder reflow pad for years and years now, zero change in temps.

Aprojectile 05-18-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 27968032)
After putting the IHS surface tension is going to keep it on the die.

That's kinda what I figured but wasn't sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27968054)
it should be fine.

I mean, the PC has been sitting vertical all this time, right?

You should try the solder pads next, if they still make em. Screw liquid metal, just reflow some solder between chip & block. It was a terrifying first application, but my 4930k has been running w/ solder reflow pad for years and years now, zero change in temps.

I don't think I have any need for solder pads since I'm going to be selling it. And yeah you have a point with it sitting vertically this whole time and no issue. But I was just unsure what would happen during shipping since it will be tossed all over the place.

rluker5 05-18-2019 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It should be fine. Especially if you covered the electronic bits with something like liquid electric tape or clear nail polish or something.

I recently ordered a pair of lga adapted bga chips from China. One 5950hq (5775c for laptops) and one 4980hq (Haswell version of 5775c that only ever existed in bga). The 5950hq definitely ran cool enough to indicate it had liquid metal underneath, but the 4980hq ran a little warm so I opened it up (see pic).

It was fine coming from China like that, and I expect you used a reasonable amount of liquid metal and didn't just dump it in there like these guys did. You probably also didn't cover the bits with a foil sticker :P
Both chips still work well, and since I ordered the 5950hq from the same guy and haven't opened it, it is probably the same mess inside as the 4980hq was and it is working great in the computer I'm using to type this out right now.

So yours should be good.