Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Mice (https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mice/)
-   -   What is the coating on G900's mouse wheel? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mice/1725998-what-coating-g900s-mouse-wheel.html)

[email protected] 05-16-2019 03:41 PM

What is the coating on G900's mouse wheel?

Opened a brand new G900 and the mouse wheel is all sticky. It's kinda like glue and sticks to your fingers, why? Is it just a rubber coating and this is the rubber degraded due to age? Mouse was bought a while ago but only opened now. How do I fix this? Rubbing alcohol work?

Falkentyne 05-16-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 27969316)
Opened a brand new G900 and the mouse wheel is all sticky. It's kinda like glue and sticks to your fingers, why? Is it just a rubber coating and this is the rubber degraded due to age? Mouse was bought a while ago but only opened now. How do I fix this? Rubbing alcohol work?

Shouldn't happen. My day 1 now broken g900 never had that happen. Some materials or exposure conditions may degrade the coating, but no idea which. You need to RMA the mouse, because the notches on the coating are what triggers the mouse wheel.

[email protected] 05-17-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkentyne (Post 27969384)
Shouldn't happen. My day 1 now broken g900 never had that happen. Some materials or exposure conditions may degrade the coating, but no idea which. You need to RMA the mouse, because the notches on the coating are what triggers the mouse wheel.

That's the thing, I can't RMA it anymore. It was bought over 2 years ago and Logitech warranty is now only 2 years. Sigh~
My original G900 which I'm still using on one computer is still working great. This one been sitting in original sealed box for 2 years, in a dry and cool room, not exposed to direct sunlight or anything and wheel is all messed up. If this is normal rubber degradation, how do they not have this problem in retail stores or warehouse lol.
I tried a little bit 70% rubbing alcohol, seems less sticky but still sticky nonetheless. Maybe need 90%+?....
Does Logitech offer repair service if I pay for it?

Falkentyne 05-17-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 27970030)
That's the thing, I can't RMA it anymore. It was bought over 2 years ago and Logitech warranty is now only 2 years. Sigh~
My original G900 which I'm still using on one computer is still working great. This one been sitting in original sealed box for 2 years, in a dry and cool room, not exposed to direct sunlight or anything and wheel is all messed up. If this is normal rubber degradation, how do they not have this problem in retail stores or warehouse lol.
I tried a little bit 70% rubbing alcohol, seems less sticky but still sticky nonetheless. Maybe need 90%+?....
Does Logitech offer repair service if I pay for it?

91% works well. Try it and take your time. If you can remove all of the stickiness, if the grooves are still in the wheel and identical to your old one, the wheel should work.
For all the hate the G502 "brick" got, its metal wheel never, ever wore out.

[email protected] 05-20-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkentyne (Post 27970062)
91% works well. Try it and take your time. If you can remove all of the stickiness, if the grooves are still in the wheel and identical to your old one, the wheel should work.
For all the hate the G502 "brick" got, its metal wheel never, ever wore out.

TYVM! i'll go get some 91% ones and try again

skupples 05-20-2019 03:39 PM

might as well buy a gallon of 99% from Amazon like I did eons ago. :P

stuff works on everything, specially sticky oils.