Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [MS] Sony and MS to Explore Strategic Partnership (Cloudbased) (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1726000-ms-sony-ms-explore-strategic-partnership-cloudbased.html)

tubers 05-16-2019 04:15 PM

[MS] Sony and MS to Explore Strategic Partnership (Cloudbased)

Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services. In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services. By working together, the companies aim to deliver more enhanced entertainment experiences for their worldwide customers. These efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community.

Sony logoAs part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences.

https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/1...c-partnership/

UltraMega 05-16-2019 04:21 PM

The enemy of my enemy..

diggiddi 05-17-2019 08:28 AM

Trying to counteract Google Stadia, I see

Omega X 05-18-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggiddi (Post 27970000)

I don't think Stadia caused much concern.

ILoveHighDPI 05-18-2019 03:02 PM

Sony gave up and admitted they can’t do online infrastructure.
It’s amazing how cultural trends affect global business. The Americans are masters of digital networking, controlling the flow of online data is like a 21st century version of the Oil industry.

“If you can’t beat-em, join-em.”
From now on as soon as people start streaming Playstation content they’ll be on a Microsoft platform. Microsoft turned Sony from a competitor into a customer, I’m sure the shareholders are very pleased.

JackCY 05-18-2019 03:43 PM

Just slam them both with anti monopoly.

ToTheSun! 05-19-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 27971322)
Just slam them both with anti monopoly.

Hard to make anti-monopoly laws stick when there's one or more competitors.

skupples 05-19-2019 05:43 PM

better start getting those azure certs if you haven't yet boyz

as to the topic -

streaming content is here to stay/come. Anyone with a shield has likely tinkered with it on and off for the last two years as NV's given us free titles to derp around in.

It'll be a side-feature for now, and eventually become its own low end SKU in the form of game subs, and a possible "thin client" device on your end if you want the best possible streamed-in experience. It'll be the best bet for a large majority of gamers once you can't tell the difference between the two latency wise, or even before then if you look @ Netflix & its sub-par image quality :P

i feel like stories like this literally trigger epeen shrinky sensations in some folks pants. it's interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggiddi (Post 27970000)

unlikely since all three have their hand in the streaming games cookie jar. More likely MS gave them a better deal, not to mention better customer support. ALSO less possibility of waking up to no back end for your play station to rely on. Google also has zero game experience... Hey maybe in a few years it'll be the M$ony PlayBox3 Vs. Google-Game.

ILoveHighDPI 05-19-2019 09:07 PM

I love how no-one is willing to mention Apple as part of the gaming market.
It’s amazing how Apple could be so ignorant that even with billions of iOS devices in the world there is still room for Nintendo to be highly successful launching a dedicated gaming tablet.

UltraMega 05-19-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI (Post 27972426)
I love how no-one is willing to mention Apple as part of the gaming market.
It’s amazing how Apple could be so ignorant that even with billions of iOS devices in the world there is still room for Nintendo to be highly successful launching a dedicated gaming tablet.

Angry Birds doesn't count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI (Post 27971300)
Sony gave up and admitted they can’t do online infrastructure.
It’s amazing how cultural trends affect global business. The Americans are masters of digital networking, controlling the flow of online data is like a 21st century version of the Oil industry.

“If you can’t beat-em, join-em.”
From now on as soon as people start streaming Playstation content they’ll be on a Microsoft platform. Microsoft turned Sony from a competitor into a customer, I’m sure the shareholders are very pleased.

Sony isn't in the business of doing online infrastructure at all. There are not many options when it comes to server hosting on this scale, and there is just no way to even entertain the idea that Sony could host streaming themselves. Microsoft is a good choice seeing that server hosting is pretty much what they do. Sony didn't give up on anything, doing their own infrastructure was never even within the realm of possibilities.