Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   PC Gaming (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/)
-   -   Online Gaming (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/1726154-online-gaming.html)

fra z 05-19-2019 01:53 PM

Online Gaming

Hello,

I've got a technical question about internet speed and bandwidth.

To play a game online with other players such as a car racing game or sports or whatever else is played online what is the minimum acceptable internet speed in Gb/s - Giga-bits-per-second?

Got a bit of a nasty shock today with internet speed down at 5-8 mega-bits per second - When the service was taken out it was around 25-30 mega-bits per second but has plummeted recently which would be a deal breaker for the service being carried on.

I don't have high speed broadband but I've been told it is coming at some point

So I need to figure the lowest internet speed that is possible to online games without any problems in mega bits per second.

Thanks in advance ---

fra z 05-19-2019 01:56 PM

I've come across this online regarding speeds etc.....if the article is correct the requirement may not be that high. - Thanks

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/re...-online-gaming

The Pook 05-19-2019 01:59 PM

As long as your latency isn't terrible you don't need much. I'd be surprised if you needed more than 500kbps in either direction.

fra z 05-19-2019 04:59 PM

Right OK it seems the requirements are not that high then - which is good news

skupples 05-19-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fra z (Post 27972082)
Hello,

I've got a technical question about internet speed and bandwidth.

To play a game online with other players such as a car racing game or sports or whatever else is played online what is the minimum acceptable internet speed in Gb/s - Giga-bits-per-second?

Got a bit of a nasty shock today with internet speed down at 5-8 mega-bits per second - When the service was taken out it was around 25-30 mega-bits per second but has plummeted recently which would be a deal breaker for the service being carried on.

I don't have high speed broadband but I've been told it is coming at some point

So I need to figure the lowest internet speed that is possible to online games without any problems in mega bits per second.

Thanks in advance ---

latency and packet loss is way more important than your up/down, specially if you're the only one using that slow line.

ToTheSun! 05-20-2019 01:01 AM

Pretty sure you're not going to break 100 KB/s either way. So, I expect 1 Mb/s Internet to be enough. Like previously stated, ping and stability are much more important.

Darren9 05-20-2019 10:52 PM

If you're joining servers 1Mb is more than fine, if it's that peer hosted nonsense you won't be very popular if it picks you to host (and it will :)).

UltraMega 05-21-2019 01:09 AM

It depends on the game. As long as you have 'enough' bandwidth, latency is really the only factor however some games use a lot more than other. BF5 is the biggest offender I know of and can use up to about 10mbps. A game like rocket league would probably do fine with half a mbps, so long as the latency is good.

Latency is how fast the info travels and bandwidth is how much data at once. A better latency is always good but higher bandwidth will make little to no difference so long as you have enough for the games you play.

ToTheSun! 05-21-2019 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 27973670)
It depends on the game. As long as you have 'enough' bandwidth, latency is really the only factor however some games use a lot more than other. BF5 is the biggest offender I know of and can use up to about 10mbps. A game like rocket league would probably do fine with half a mbps, so long as the latency is good.

Battle(non)sense measured a maximum of 1.2 Mbps for BFV, which is a little bit off from "10mbps".

Still, it merits a correction for my previous statement conveying that 1 Mbps is enough. Considering Battlefield is the worst offender, perhaps a general rule that 2 Mbps is enough is more truthful.

speed_demon 05-21-2019 04:42 AM

I played BF4 regularly on 64 man servers through my 700kb(at best) 3G cell phone hotspot. Had no issues and was typically 45-60 ping in game.

When I upgraded to 3Mb spectrum land line the internet was unusable for gaming. Ping was ~14 in my favorite servers but frequent packet loss was a deal breaker.

fra z - Have you run a speed test lately?