Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel CPUs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/)
-   -   2500k wont maintain a multiplier (https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1726216-2500k-wont-maintain-multiplier.html)

corhen 05-20-2019 09:27 PM

2500k wont maintain a multiplier

2 Attachment(s)
Hey All,

I've been looking back into my trusty overclocked 2500k, seeing as i have been having trouble with simulation speed in cities skylines, and found something odd.

i run a 2500k (3.3ghz stock) at 4.4ghz, (102mhz x 37), and have done so for close to 10 years without any signs of stability issues. however, due to an unrelated issue, i was monitoring my temps and overclock

When not on a load, my CPU happily hits 4.4ghz. but once i hit it with some prime 95 (or a heavy game) the multiplier drops and drops, and i have seen it as low as 34x. Prime95 doesnt report any errors even on a long run, and the temps look fine.

I went into my bios, and everything looks fine there. I turned off a bunch of the power saving features (intel turbo, c-states, overspeed protection) but this hasn't changed the performance issues at all.

Specs:
I5-2500k
MSIP67A-GD53
Nvidia 780
16gb gigabyte 1600mhz ram

anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

unclewebb 05-21-2019 10:45 AM

Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach the highest multiplier. Turbo boost is controlled by a long and a short power limit. If these limits are not set high enough in the bios, your CPU will throttle and slow down when overclocked and fully loaded with Prime95.

When overclocking, some motherboards will set these power limits to unobtainable values like 4095. Your Core Temp screenshot shows that your CPU is being limited to the 95 Watt TDP value.

You can run HWiNFO and it will show you the reason that your CPU is throttling.

HelpDatBIOS 05-21-2019 09:42 PM

Check BIOS Overclocking page at CPU PPM Configuration or CPU Features (whichever you have, you'll only have one or the other)
The settings unclewebb mentioned above is there.

UltraMega 05-21-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclewebb (Post 27974248)
Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach the highest multiplier. Turbo boost is controlled by a long and a short power limit. If these limits are not set high enough in the bios, your CPU will throttle and slow down when overclocked and fully loaded with Prime95.

When overclocking, some motherboards will set these power limits to unobtainable values like 4095. Your Core Temp screenshot shows that your CPU is being limited to the 95 Watt TDP value.

You can run HWiNFO and it will show you the reason that your CPU is throttling.

This.

Your CPU wont be maxing out on power draw in gaming so it really shouldn't affect gaming performance at all. This power limit usually only shows up in stability testing since very few things will make your CPU go at 100% for long.