Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   General Processor Discussions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/)
-   -   Does Thermal Paste go Bad or get Old? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1726244-does-thermal-paste-go-bad-get-old.html)

wirefox 05-21-2019 12:33 PM

Does Thermal Paste go Bad or get Old?
 
Been building for a while and have old tubes.

Sealed but opened at one point or another.

Does TIM go bad? e.g. maybe it dries out a little and maybe not work as good?

Like it get thicker and not as good.

I feel like it must but wondering thoughts of others..

wirefox ...

Fluxmaven 05-21-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirefox (Post 27974362)
Been building for a while and have old tubes.

Sealed but opened at one point or another.

Does TIM go bad? e.g. maybe it dries out a little and maybe not work as good?

Like it get thicker and not as good.

I feel like it must but wondering thoughts of others..

wirefox ...

In an airtight completely sealed environment, It would probably be fine for a long time. But it does dry out eventually. I recently found a ~10 year old tube that was hard as a rock. I have a couple opened tubes from around 3-5 years ago that seem a little thicker than I remember them being initially, but are still probably fine. IDK how much the newer stuff has improved though. I will let you know in 10 years how well the thermal grizzly stuff holds up :P

ShrimpBrime 05-21-2019 03:13 PM

If you worry about it, buy new paste. it's cheap.

I wouldn't worry about consistency of TIM unless it cannot transfer heat well any more.... if in question, replace.

Would I use a 10 year old tube of paste I found that was open at one point or another?? Heck no. I'd get new paste for sure.

Falkentyne 05-21-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime (Post 27974532)
If you worry about it, buy new paste. it's cheap.

I wouldn't worry about consistency of TIM unless it cannot transfer heat well any more.... if in question, replace.

Would I use a 10 year old tube of paste I found that was open at one point or another?? Heck no. I'd get new paste for sure.

Complete truth. People need to stop treating paste like gold or a precious stone. It's freaking paste. Buy a new one.
Even Liquid Metal can be created yourself from Gallium, Tin and Indium, with a crucible and blowtorch!

Almost Heathen 05-21-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirefox (Post 27974362)
Been building for a while and have old tubes.

Sealed but opened at one point or another.

Does TIM go bad? e.g. maybe it dries out a little and maybe not work as good?

Like it get thicker and not as good.

I feel like it must but wondering thoughts of others..

wirefox ...

I'm sure they all go bad eventually, but how long they last seems to depend on the specific paste and how it's stored. Checking the consistency appears to be a good indication of whether or not the TIM will still perform well.

FWIW my Gelid GC Extreme was like working with stiff clay after only a year, and unusable after 2 years as it won't flow out of the tube and has bad seperation, with some parts very stiff and others very loose like water. My Arctic MX-2 is at least 5 years old (2 of those years the tube wasn't sealed properly either) and seems to work as well as the first time I used it. I've also opened sealed 5 year old tubes and they work fine as well, namely CM and Sythe TIM that comes with their coolers.

NightAntilli 05-21-2019 04:47 PM

Something like Kryonaut can go very long without renewing the paste. But generally, paste does indeed dry out. It's recommended to change your paste every 5 years or so, depending on the type of paste.

ShrimpBrime 05-21-2019 06:21 PM

If you are changing paste on your PC built 5 years ago or more, I suggest then to invest into a new PC build almost if not entirely (depending on needs/wants) ....

But get in the now man. lol.

65nm/45nm 10 years ago. Hmm my paste is drying up on my dried up core 2 lol.

SoloCamo 05-21-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime (Post 27974704)
If you are changing paste on your PC built 5 years ago or more, I suggest then to invest into a new PC build almost if not entirely (depending on needs/wants) ....

But get in the now man. lol.

65nm/45nm 10 years ago. Hmm my paste is drying up on my dried up core 2 lol.

Hey, my 5 year old 4790k resents that!

Though now that I think about it, the gelid gc-extreme I have on it still has held up for quite a few years. Will need to switch to the new tube of Kryonaut I recently bought.

ShrimpBrime 05-21-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloCamo (Post 27974708)
Hey, my 5 year old 4790k resents that!

Though now that I think about it, the gelid gc-extreme I have on it still has held up for quite a few years. Will need to switch to the new tube of Kryonaut I recently bought.

HAHA!! I wasn't trying to hurt feelings.... but when you upgrade to that new AMD Ryzen.... you'll wonder why you didn't 2 years ago already :D

wirefox 05-22-2019 11:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

and yes I know it's not gold :)

I actually was using a thermal pad https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Co.../dp/B07CKVW18G .

it's worked as good as artic 5 +\- a few degrees and no mess...

anyways thanks for the feed back.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.