Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1726326-forbes-amd-shock-intel-smashing-performance-claim-cinebench-score-really-true.html)

Moparman 05-23-2019 01:21 PM

[Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...ally-true/amp/

"We’re just a week away from hopefully knowing more about AMD's plans for its Zen 2-based 3rd Generation Ryzen processors and more rumors are surfacing of AMD’s new CPU’s performance. This time, the channel on YouTube claims to have received a screenshot of a Cinebench score of the supposed 3rd Generation Ryzen flagship – a yet unknown 16-core CPU running at 4.2GHz and obtaining a result of 4,278 points.
That is an absolutely huge score and not just for a mainstream desktop CPU. As you can see below, that score matches or betters every other desktop CPU except for AMD’s Threadripper WX-series, which have 24 and 32 cores respectively. Even the mighty Core i9-9980XE, with 18 cores is no quicker, which clearly has huge ramifications in terms of multi-threaded performance given that AMD’s 16-core 3rd Generation Ryzen CPU, if it does exist, has been rumored to result in plenty of change from $1,000 (in fact some claimed leaks via retailers put it at less than $600)."

If true this is very good news for AMD.

Hwgeek 05-23-2019 01:24 PM

Be Ready for Ryzen 9 3900X!

Puck 05-23-2019 02:10 PM

That much performance at a $600 price point seems way too good to be true.

If so, it would definitely be my next chip instead of a Threadripper like planned.

doom26464 05-23-2019 02:11 PM

Pass the salt please.

Hwgeek 05-23-2019 02:14 PM

They won't sell it less then $699, The question is where TR4 is going.
Also for $699 for smaller AM4 CPU + X570 chipset income- they maybe gonna make more money then 1950X/2950X alone.

Imglidinhere 05-23-2019 02:17 PM

Didn't AMD already state that they didn't want to be stuck in the lower-end segments anymore? I mean, call me crazy, but if AMD produces something faster than Intel, they shouldn't have to resort to selling it for cheaper to maintain market share.

If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing it sold for over $750. If its genuinely that much faster, then why should they hinder their own potential profit making?

Hwgeek 05-23-2019 02:21 PM

+1, if they win over Intel both in MT and ST then there is no reason to sell them at cheap like you can see now Ryzen [email protected] $199.

kd5151 05-23-2019 02:36 PM

Only time will tell.

zealord 05-23-2019 02:44 PM

The weekend will fly by and then we will know. I think the keynote is late sunday for americans and early monday morning for Europe if I am not mistaken.

I am in desperate need to upgrade and I hope that Zen2 comes in swinging. I don't even need a 12c or 16c CPU, I would prefer a high clocked 8c/16t CPU !

Ragnarok 05-23-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere (Post 27976978)
Didn't AMD already state that they didn't want to be stuck in the lower-end segments anymore? I mean, call me crazy, but if AMD produces something faster than Intel, they shouldn't have to resort to selling it for cheaper to maintain market share.

If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing it sold for over $750. If its genuinely that much faster, then why should they hinder their own potential profit making?

The problem is mindshare. I've known people to choose Intel over AMD simply by brand recognition alone. I don't think AMD can sell anything for more than Intel. IMO, at best, the top AMD chip could perform better than Intel's at the same price.