Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1726326-forbes-amd-shock-intel-smashing-performance-claim-cinebench-score-really-true.html)

doom26464 05-27-2019 12:42 PM

He back peddling hard judging by his comments on twitter.

I'm suspecting it will be like every other ryzen chip, there will be that overclocking wall at there max boost clock. So these new chips will probably do 4.5-4.6 all core with some high end cooling and mobo.

tubers 05-27-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaju123 (Post 27980588)
AMD, as the market underdog, has no reason ever to disable SMT, as it's basically free for them to implement.

Depends on how they want to create the product segmentation but I think you're mostly right.

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-3

tubers 05-27-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27980664)
If leaks are seldom accurate, are they any good?

If they ARE seldom accurate then it may be worth it.

It's a good way to create money and traffic with zero accountability.

I'd say the popular speculators can make bogus leaks all day and people will buy them. I swear there's a more apt term for this kind of person. It's a matter of skill in delivery or some sort of social engineering.

It's kinda fun though, in a weird way. You hype these people up, articulately present, and you will catch "loyalists", no matter.

Anyway, I do wonder about the OCability of the 105w R8 vs the 65w R8.

NightAntilli 05-27-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom26464 (Post 27981286)
He back peddling hard judging by his comments on twitter.

I'm suspecting it will be like every other ryzen chip, there will be that overclocking wall at there max boost clock. So these new chips will probably do 4.5-4.6 all core with some high end cooling and mobo.

I'm suspecting it wouldn't fall into what they were trying to announce. Basically, in this conference they pitched the idea of matching or slightly surpassing Intel at a much lower power consumption. If the parts reach 5 GHz, I bet they must throw power efficiency out the window. They don't want anything more power hungry than 105W apparently.
Either that, or, the CPUs can still reach 5GHz under an improved version of XFR, which simply has not been mentioned yet.

Kpjoslee 05-27-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightAntilli (Post 27981578)
I'm suspecting it wouldn't fall into what they were trying to announce. Basically, in this conference they pitched the idea of matching or slightly surpassing Intel at a much lower power consumption. If the parts reach 5 GHz, I bet they must throw power efficiency out the window. They don't want anything more power hungry than 105W apparently.
Either that, or, the CPUs can still reach 5GHz under an improved version of XFR, which simply has not been mentioned yet.

No, unless Zen 2 is completely new architecture, which apparently isnt, I don't expect overclocking behavior would be much different from previous Ryzen processors. 5Ghz just isn't going to happen in this upcoming generation of Ryzen 3xxx processors. I still think maximum all-core frequency would remain around 4.5-4.6 depends on cooling solution. AdoredTV leak has proven to be completely bogus, and I wouldn't use it to be the indicator of what to expect in the future.

guttheslayer 05-27-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear (Post 27979632)
No, I'll repeat this and we can come back to it when all is revealed and you can decide if you still want to be his fangirl:

- The prices will be wrong
- The base/boost clocks will be almost entirely wrong
- The SKUs will be nearly all wrong
- The Ryzen 3000 APU info was all wrong (G APUs are 12nm+only for this year).
- The info on Navi will be wrong

So in summary, you say he's 'overrall correct', which is stupid because A: No he isn't and B: the things he might be right about are things anyone could have guessed. For example, 'wow, he guessed there would be a 12-core and 16-core', but we saw with ROME that they doubled cores on 7nm so that was an educated guess. His made-up specs, for example, 4.3Ghz base clock on the 16-core SKU, was anything but educated, it was so dumb I immediately knew his 'leak' was total bull*****.

His 3300 which is leaked 6C/12T with 3.3-4GHz boost clock has been spot on. Jim is pretty accurate actually.

Kpjoslee 05-27-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guttheslayer (Post 27981628)
His 3300 which is leaked 6C/12T with 3.3-4GHz boost clock has been spot on. Jim is pretty accurate actually.

If you throw enough crap against a wall, some of em will stick. Not much different from Wccftech method.

Gunderman456 05-27-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubers (Post 27981420)
If they ARE seldom accurate then it may be worth it.

It's a good way to create money and traffic with zero accountability.

I'd say the popular speculators can make bogus leaks all day and people will buy them. I swear there's a more apt term for this kind of person. It's a matter of skill in delivery or some sort of social engineering.

It's kinda fun though, in a weird way. You hype these people up, articulately present, and you will catch "loyalists", no matter.

Anyway, I do wonder about the OCability of the 105w R8 vs the 65w R8.

True that, what is the difference between the 3700X and the 3800X? It looks to me that AMD is binning the chips and charging more for those that boost higher. What a crock. Neither company get tired of trying to slip one by us. So overclocking those chips will also be a dud like the previous Zen generations as they are doing the overclocking for you and charging you more. Takes the fun out of Ryzen, doesn't it?

NightAntilli 05-27-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpjoslee (Post 27981620)
No, unless Zen 2 is completely new architecture, which apparently isnt, I don't expect overclocking behavior would be much different from previous Ryzen processors. 5Ghz just isn't going to happen in this upcoming generation of Ryzen 3xxx processors. I still think maximum all-core frequency would remain around 4.5-4.6 depends on cooling solution. AdoredTV leak has proven to be completely bogus, and I wouldn't use it to be the indicator of what to expect in the future.

Let's wait and see what the reviews say.

tyvar 05-27-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27981660)
True that, what is the difference between the 3700X and the 3800X? It looks to me that AMD is binning the chips and charging more for those that boost higher. What a crock. Neither company get tired of trying to slip one by us. So overclocking those chips will also be a dud like the previous Zen generations as they are doing the overclocking for you and charging you more. Takes the fun out of Ryzen, doesn't it?

Are you new to this hobby or something? That's how binning has worked since nearly the beginning, or do you think there was seriously some real difference between a 386DX 15 a 386 DX 25?