Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1726326-forbes-amd-shock-intel-smashing-performance-claim-cinebench-score-really-true.html)

Gunderman456 05-27-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvar (Post 27981742)
Are you new to this hobby or something? That's how binning has worked since nearly the beginning, or do you think there was seriously some real difference between a 386DX 15 a 386 DX 25?

New to the blatant in your face fleecing and I'm tired of steering the landmines. I guess you're ok with their ongoing shenanigans. You should have been vocal back then if that is the case. Thanks man! With no internet, you should have written them a letter - signed "We do not consent" and voted with your wallet.

guttheslayer 05-27-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpjoslee (Post 27981642)
If you throw enough crap against a wall, some of em will stick. Not much different from Wccftech method.

Not really, you cant predict boost clock and the sku name that align to one another, that is more than a flute.

He got the TDP, core count, boost clock and SKU number correct. All that left is the price. It is not by luck on this.

Kpjoslee 05-27-2019 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by guttheslayer (Post 27981764)
Not really, you cant predict boost clock and the sku name that align to one another, that is more than a flute.

He got the TDP, core count, boost clock and SKU number correct. All that left is the price. It is not by luck on this.

Actually, no, he didn't get any of those right, which would mean he might have been tricked by a source claimed to be an insider, or intentionally gave him wrong numbers, since he never validated his source anyways.

I have no problem with Jim being wrong about leaks or rumors before announcement, since those things happen... but it is more about how he vigorously defended his claims and calling out people who questioned his "leaks" before computex, and how he is not willing to admit he is wrong after his leaks were proven false and even went on to criticize AMD for putting out "high price" for Ryzen 3 series.

anticommon 05-27-2019 08:38 PM

What price point for 7980XE/9980XE do you guys think would be competitive for intel if its essentially the same performance as AMD? Surely they cannot drop prices 1/4 from $2000 to $500, that would devastate their current lineup. But if AMD can deliver, who can say?

tyvar 05-27-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27981762)
New to the blatant in your face fleecing and I'm tired of steering the landmines. I guess you're ok with their ongoing shenanigans. You should have been vocal back then if that is the case. Thanks man! With no internet, you should have written them a letter - signed "We do not consent" and voted with your wallet.

How the hell was the binning of Haswell not blatant? how the hell was the K non K processor distinction of the same model number not the same thing? You realize its essentially the exact same silicon from the same wafers?
the locking down happens after the initial testing?

I'll be blunt your picking this hill to die on right now smacks of media influncer type malarky, because your attempting at creating a artifical controversy over a very long standing industry wide practice to obfuscate matters.

Mahigan 05-27-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvar (Post 27981822)
How the hell was the binning of Haswell not blatant? how the hell was the K non K processor distinction of the same model number not the same thing? You realize its essentially the exact same silicon from the same wafers?

I'll be blunt your picking this hill to die on right now smacks of media influncer type malarky, because your attempting at creating a artifical controversy over a very long standing industry wide practice to obfuscate matters.

Does he not remember the E6600 or the Q6600? How about the i7 920? All of them cheaper variants of the same high end SKUs available with the only true discerning difference being the clock speed. This is how the industry has always worked ever since I've been using PCs which extends well into the mid-1980s.

Gunderman456 05-27-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvar (Post 27981822)

The in your face fleecing of the last few years has never been so flagrant and has made me into a rabid dog that will now tear at anything. A blind rage that has taken over and will not be satiated and while yes hypocrisy on my part is evident, we have let them get away with so much it seems that they have upped the anti exponentially with some of us even defending these practices. I've certainly complained about these practices but they seem benign to what has transpired of late. I have not been happy for the last 5+ years and I've been voting with my wallet but sadly enough not many people do.

guttheslayer 05-28-2019 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpjoslee (Post 27981782)
Actually, no, he didn't get any of those right, which would mean he might have been tricked by a source claimed to be an insider, or intentionally gave him wrong numbers, since he never validated his source anyways.

I have no problem with Jim being wrong about leaks or rumors before announcement, since those things happen... but it is more about how he vigorously defended his claims and calling out people who questioned his "leaks" before computex, and how he is not willing to admit he is wrong after his leaks were proven false and even went on to criticize AMD for putting out "high price" for Ryzen 3 series.

Pricing is a versatile thing, they could change the price as and when they see the market deem fit.

Maybe the price were speculated to be if Intel was more competitive, but now that Intel has nothing new to offer AMD decide to go for more premium.

Ultracarpet 05-28-2019 10:36 AM

Jesus you guys, I think it should be pretty obvious at this point that Jim was just fueling the hype train for views. According to his "sources" there should have been a 5.1 ghz 16 core chip presented back at CES. He claimed V2 didn't exist, Navi was "better than expected", and instead of back-peddling when reality hit he doubled down on Computex where he ended up being wrong AGAIN.

Let's take a trip back to CES, where after the event he immediately made a video titled "Zen 2 faster than 9900k at half the power". In the video he claimed that the CPU AMD used to demonstrate was going to be a 65 watt part. Wrong. It was much more likely a very finely tuned version of the 105 watt tdp 3800x. You can confirm this by AMD's computex slide that shows the 3700x being slower than the 9900k and the 3800x being ever so slightly faster (just like the CES demo) in Cinebench. The devil in the details of the example AMD showed at CES was how well they tuned their processor, which was probably running at 4.5ghz with lower than retail voltage, and the power consumption of everything else in the system (likely very low). It made a great marketing presentation, and plentiful fodder for those who chose not to think critically about it.

Finally, now, we have him claiming that these chips will overclock to 5ghz. His last ditch effort to not be completely wrong about everything. Well, considering how both Ryzen generations before it struggled to get all core overclocks at their stock max boosts, the reality is ryzen 2 is probably more similar than it is different. Looking at the TDP differences between the 3700x and the 3800x should provide some indication of this as well. There is a 60% tdp jump (65w->105w) moving between the 3700x and the 3800x, and the clock speed increases are 8% base and 2.3% boost. I know that TDP depends on lots of other factors like how long it stays at certain clocks, and how many cores actually achieve certain clockspeeds... but still. This should be a pretty good indication that the wall is not too far from 4.5ghz.

With all of that aside, I am extremely pleased with Ryzen 2, AMD brought a winner to the table and this is going to change the industry massively. I would just prefer that the garbage, tabloid-esque, tech reporting would be left on the curb where it belongs.

bigjdubb 05-28-2019 11:14 AM

How can we still be talking this youtube guy and his CES predictions. I admit, it was a pretty spectacular crash, but I think we need to move on.