Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1726326-forbes-amd-shock-intel-smashing-performance-claim-cinebench-score-really-true.html)

Ultracarpet 05-28-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27983098)
Having read that reply chain, I can confidently say I know what rock bottom looks like.

It's also pretty cringy that he thinks he's relevant enough to be playing the followers card.

Hahahahahahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigan (Post 27983104)
"Real Tech Journalists", there aren't any. Real tech journalism died when Anand left Anandtech and Tom left Tom's Hardware. Ever since then, we've had bought and paid for content with many in the so-called "Tech Journalism" arena joining and leaving large tech companies, who've they've given positive reviews, like a revolving door.

Linus, GamerNexus, etc are also not real tech journalists. GamerNexus is better than most though (I'll give Steve that much).

Many have no idea what it used to be like prior to the rise of social media. When tech was tech and it wasn't all about "Gaming" (which is only a tiny part of tech).

Your opinion of these channels and websites doesn't change the fact that they chose not to peddle clickbait leaks. Also, if you want to get into biases- Jim has one of the hardest pro-AMD slants of any tech youtuber lol. At least channels like Linus, GamersNexus, Pauls Hardware, Jays2cents etc. have openly criticized both sides of the fence on countless occasions. You are now witnessing the only time Jim has called out AMD, and it wasn't because of a mistake they made, it was because their product stack didn't match some back alley napkin info he was trying to sell as actual information. AMD did not lie in order to garner attention or make money, Jim did, and he's trying to blame AMD for it... Which leads me into your next quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigan (Post 27983116)
Of course, because from what I've seen so far... many folks don't know how the tech industry works and that's mostly because of the fact that we have poor tech journalists. Decisions on final clocks etc oftentimes end up being made right before the product is announced. Internally, companies will change their minds as engineering testing unfolds so you might get a company, like say Intel, internally discussing a Core i7 product with 4 cores at 5GHz only to then release it at 5.2 or 5.4GHz depending on the market competition at the time. Even the core counts change as well as the TDP (as more engineering samples are tested).

Jim reports that information. It changes from day to day, week to week. At the time Jim reported his findings, the Ryzen 3000 series probably did conceptually match what he reported. AMD changed their minds. Why? Most likely had to do with the yields, pricing AMD are aiming for and the competition from Intel.

Just look at say the Radeon 2900XTX, ATi had clock speeds they were aiming for and performance figures they were aiming for. As the GPU went through testing ATi realized that this part required too much power, produced too much heat and could barely hold a candle to what nVIDIA had. Result? Cancelled. AMD were also testing a dual GPU Fury card (there are rare engineering samples around) but they were never released or how about the infamous 3Dfx Voodoo 5 6000 128MB?

Jim did nothing wrong. Those attacking him are ignorant as to how the industry works imho.

Knowing that specs like naming, clock speeds, pricing, core configurations etc. are all subject to change right up until the final hour, is it really worth reporting about until the company announces the product? Those are basically the most important details to consumers, and Jim was standing on his soapbox claiming to have the answers almost 6 months ago, of course people were going to pay attention to him. It was an opportunistic move. There have been many false prophets before him, and many are sure to follow. Considering how he is treating people now that the truth has come out, I think people are delusional to give him the benefit of the doubt about anything he says or does.

looniam 05-28-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27983238)
I like how you downplayed his behavior as some sort of misstep in a popularity contest, as if reasonable, non-partisan bystanders wouldn't criticize him for it.

candian = seal cub

scotsman = club

looks about right. :)

skupples 05-28-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 27976964)
That much performance at a $600 price point seems way too good to be true.

If so, it would definitely be my next chip instead of a Threadripper like planned.

*runs a quick cine*

yeah, lol... "hey its likely our fastest chip EVER, and oh its mainstream price!"

we'll all be buying one.

coupe 05-28-2019 04:46 PM

It's amazing how AMD shows an amazing product stack that might just put some fear into Intel and their high priced chips and we're all talking about a youtuber who's leaks didn't turn out..

skupples 05-28-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coupe (Post 27983314)
It's amazing how AMD shows an amazing product stack that might just put some fear into Intel and their high priced chips and we're all talking about a youtuber who's leaks didn't turn out..

that's the world these days, do you not remember the decline? Remember how we avoided clickbait like the plague? Well, we essentially have an internet full of clickbait brainwashed folks these days. Like is drama, Drama is life.

I'll still take it at a competitive price.

basement-ego trumps all.

looniam 05-28-2019 05:08 PM

i'm not sure if amazing is what AMD did. not to take anything away from them but . .

they confirmed core/clocks and SKU/pricing and showed a few controlled demos. it does garner a vote of confidence but no more until things get out in the wild. now that vote of confidence will be in mind until i hear more about the infinity fabric tweaks and see that in use.

its still a bit of distance to go, keep your sticks on the ice.

Ultracarpet 05-28-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

You do realize what the source of this thread is, right?

Darkpriest667 05-28-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Well 5 or 6 people are. I made my comment and it was glistened over. My comment was more about the AMD performance and how it effects the market and Intel, but a few folks want to have an internet flame war about some random youtuber. OK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultracarpet (Post 27983374)
You do realize what the source of this thread is, right?

Yeah, Forbes, a business and investment newspaper.

looniam 05-28-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 (Post 27983400)
Well 5 or 6 people are. I made my comment and it was glistened over. My comment was more about the AMD performance and how it effects the market and Intel, but a few folks want to have an internet flame war about some random youtuber. OK.

Yeah, Forbes, a business and investment newspaper.

maybe your content will find more appreciation over here:

[GamersNexus] Ryzen 3000 release date

somewhere adoredTV's video is not in the OP or source article. :)

tpi2007 05-28-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27983098)
Having read that reply chain, I can confidently say I know what rock bottom looks like.

It's also pretty cringy that he thinks he's relevant enough to be playing the followers card.

It's even more ironic since he based his channel's logo and animation on a generic template that I've seen elsewhere on YouTube with another name put on it.

Also his channel is called AdoredTV - Adore Red TV. Take the information with caution.

These leaks never seemed realistic to me simply by looking at the market and what 7nm allowed for. In a little more detail: what the mainstream platform is capable of, what the price points of current CPUs are and the pricing trends, AMD's need for cash, the competitive landscape and what the general consumer would favour on a mainstream platform when buying a CPU. 16 cores was this utopia right until now, but reality has to settle in at some time. Jim missed the boat to acknowledge that.

Here is what I said back in January in his rumour news thread:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-...l#post27790118

Quote:

We do know a few things more or less for certain:

(...)

6. Now, stopping at an 8C/16T mainstream offer as the VideoCardz source seems to indicate, only makes sense if it's really something else, you know, if it performs admirably better than the 9900K. So far, from everything we know, I don't see that happening. It will no doubt be faster, but if it's just 5%-10% faster, then there is the problem of AMD starting to be perceived as slowing down to Intel levels and getting comfortable. They are the ones catching up, and with Ice Lake later this year, it would make for a relatively small window of opportunity to get comfortable. I don't think that they can afford to do that at this point, they have to keep impressing and moving forward.

7. Looking at the price that the 1920X is going for at just over 400 € and some places selling them under that mark and the 2920X at 650 €, I can perfectly see a 12C/24T CPU making it into mainstream at the 500€ price point. It's 50% more cores, so AMD can't be accused of slowing down, and they keep their margins, while allowing them to get back to the 1800X's price point, with the 16C/32T still enjoying HEDT status for a while more. Now, I can perfectly see them releasing a 16C/32T CPU if they really want to make a slam dunk on Intel, but there's the question of margins, TDP, and if it's not too soon, if it makes sense overall. However, given that a 12C/24T CPU will be made of two chiplets, a 16C/32T CPU is possible at any time, and that's a good card to have to respond to Intel at any time if needed. Personally, I'd say that it makes more sense for them to go 16C/32T with 7nm EUV.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-...l#post27790118

Quote:

I have zero doubt that Zen 2 will have higher IPC than Intel's Skylake / Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake arch, so if the Zen 2 8C/16T part ends up tied or slightly slower than the 9900K it will be due to clockspeed differences alone and Intel's 95w TDP shenanigans and their complicity with motherboard makers in not implementing the Turbo guidelines properly. They probably know what is coming, hence the move.

And I agree, whatever it turns out to be, I very much doubt that AMD will stop at 8 cores on the mainstream platform, staying there isn't enough momentum and AMD needs to keep the momentum consistent for several years.