Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1726326-forbes-amd-shock-intel-smashing-performance-claim-cinebench-score-really-true.html)

kyrie74 05-23-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere (Post 27976978)
Didn't AMD already state that they didn't want to be stuck in the lower-end segments anymore? I mean, call me crazy, but if AMD produces something faster than Intel, they shouldn't have to resort to selling it for cheaper to maintain market share.

If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing it sold for over $750. If its genuinely that much faster, then why should they hinder their own potential profit making?

Did you say the same thing when AMD brought the 8C/16T 1800x to market for $500 and put it up against Intel's $500 4C/8T?

Section31 05-23-2019 03:15 PM

Hopefully AMD does price close to rumored. That is way tech should be priced, we let intel/nvidia get away with there high pricing and they maintain way too high gross margin percentage on consumer side. Enterprise has it worse than us though, they are paying lot more than they really should be.

You can already see the pricing effect on phones, they keep on going up each year and even the Apple Iphone yearly upgrade group is now going through longer upgrade cycles.

Hwgeek 05-23-2019 03:17 PM

To change this mindset - only by doing something that will make huge headlines all over the web, if they make another product that is like 2700X vs 8700K VS 9900K then nothing will change, but if they make headlines like "The King is Dead- Long live the King" then this will start the transition.
If they Release lets say this 16C that can match 9900K's ST while competing with i9 9980XE in MT then they will make the Headline they need.

deafboy 05-23-2019 03:55 PM

Fingers crossed

ejb222 05-23-2019 05:04 PM

I believe Jim's leak about performance, not sure on price. I definitely want square competition in the market. It's not only good for the consumer, it's way more entertaining than rehashed products every year. Guess we will know for sure on Monday :D

papant7 05-23-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnarok (Post 27977026)
The problem is mindshare. I've known people to choose Intel over AMD simply by brand recognition alone. I don't think AMD can sell anything for more than Intel. IMO, at best, the top AMD chip could perform better than Intel's at the same price.

It's also the supply chain. The number of AMD suppliers is tiny compared to Intel. As someone who works with big data and needs to expand data centers regularly, AMD simply cannot match the support and availability of Intel. Despite the various vulnerabilities of Intel, Epyc is simply not a viable choice due to suppliers not being able to meet our demands. Also, with Intel, its possible to get a "whole" Intel server. Processor: Intel, Chipset: Intel,NIC: Intel, SSD: Intel, RAM: Samsung (lol). AMD cannot simply do that unfortunately thus bringing Intel's brand in the forefront.

rdr09 05-24-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papant7 (Post 27977370)
It's also the supply chain. The number of AMD suppliers is tiny compared to Intel. As someone who works with big data and needs to expand data centers regularly, AMD simply cannot match the support and availability of Intel. Despite the various vulnerabilities of Intel, Epyc is simply not a viable choice due to suppliers not being able to meet our demands. Also, with Intel, its possible to get a "whole" Intel server. Processor: Intel, Chipset: Intel,NIC: Intel, SSD: Intel, RAM: Samsung (lol). AMD cannot simply do that unfortunately thus bringing Intel's brand in the forefront.

I agree. Most countries in Africa, for example, get a supply of oem machines from Dell and HP with intel inside. Ask them about amd systems, they don't have a clue. Most of the private and public offices, if not all, only use intel machines. Somehow intel knows not to neglect these places. Intel support exists.

Clocknut 05-24-2019 12:59 AM

LEL, forbes take AdoredTV leak more serious than /r/hardware reddit.

epic1337 05-24-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moparman (Post 27976902)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...ally-true/amp/

"We’re just a week away from hopefully knowing more about AMD's plans for its Zen 2-based 3rd Generation Ryzen processors and more rumors are surfacing of AMD’s new CPU’s performance. This time, the AdoredTV channel on YouTube claims to have received a screenshot of a Cinebench score of the supposed 3rd Generation Ryzen flagship – a yet unknown 16-core CPU running at 4.2GHz and obtaining a result of 4,278 points.
That is an absolutely huge score and not just for a mainstream desktop CPU. As you can see below, that score matches or betters every other desktop CPU except for AMD’s Threadripper WX-series, which have 24 and 32 cores respectively. Even the mighty Core i9-9980XE, with 18 cores is no quicker, which clearly has huge ramifications in terms of multi-threaded performance given that AMD’s 16-core 3rd Generation Ryzen CPU, if it does exist, has been rumored to result in plenty of change from $1,000 (in fact some claimed leaks via retailers put it at less than $600)."

If true this is very good news for AMD.

theoretically possible if AMD's hyperthreading scaled like real cores, e.g. performing like a 32C/32T instead of 16C/32T.

Hwgeek 05-24-2019 03:43 AM

if 8c es were able to score 2000+pts at +-65W, whats the problem getting 4300pts with OCed 16C? This level of performance is possible and it's only a question if and how AMD would choose to position it.