Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [Computex AMD] Navi mid range teaser - 5700 Series (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1726522-computex-amd-navi-mid-range-teaser-5700-series.html)

ilmazzo 05-27-2019 03:24 AM

[Computex AMD] Navi mid range teaser - 5700 Series

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14412...-improved-perf

While the bulk of this morning’s AMD Computex keynote has been on AMD’s 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs and their underlying Zen 2 architecture, the company also took a moment to briefly touch upon its highly anticipated Navi GPU architecture and associated family of products. AMD didn’t go too deep here, but they have given us just enough to be tantalized ahead of a full reveal in the not too distant future. The first Navi cards will be the Radeon RX 5700 series, which are launching in July and on an architectural level will offer 25% better performance per clock per core and 50% better power efficiency than AMD’s current-generation Vega architecture. The products will also be AMD's first video cards using faster GDDR6 memory. Meanwhile AMD isn’t offering much in the way of concrete details on performance, but they are showing it off versus NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 2070 in the AMD-favorable game Strange Brigade.

Here we go.....

ilmazzo 05-27-2019 04:36 AM

whoa, I knew amd gpu reputation was bad but did not thought at this level lol

NightAntilli 05-27-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmazzo (Post 27980582)
whoa, I knew amd gpu reputation was bad but did not thought at this level lol

Everyone is focused on Ryzen right now... And we didn't get many details on Navi, except the name and a shallow performance comparison. Price will be the most important factor.

pony-tail 05-27-2019 05:14 AM

At least it is not GCN again !

ilmazzo 05-27-2019 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony-tail (Post 27980602)

don't think so

anyway I'll just stick to the results, it can be powered by a steam wheel, the only thing I care is that pushes performance further on the same or slightly increased prices, I get bored analysing microarchitectures

rluker5 05-27-2019 05:24 AM

In the Strange Brigade demo: the hitching on the 2070 is really bad. The 5700 has more than I'm used to, but looks way better. There must be bad supporting hardware or something.
The demo makes it look like the Navi equivalent of the 470 will be close to V64 levels of performance.
There is an awful lot left unanswered and unclear though and it is hard to get worked up over unknowns.

But raising the performance to that level would give 290x/580 tier owners motivation to upgrade, so I'm glad it is going in this direction.

tpi2007 05-27-2019 07:37 AM

The RTX 2070 is based on a 445 mm² chip;
Vega 64 is based on a 495 mm² chip;
Radeon VII is based on a 331 mm² chip and has 16 GB of HBM2, making it much more expensive on that count;

Meanwhile, the RX 5700 is supposed to be around 275mm² (see estimate from pictures of the chip here).

There is the potential that AMD prices this card very competitively. This chip is most probably smaller than Nvidia's TU116, which powers the GTX 1660 Ti, which comes in at 284 mm².

If they price it like the 1660 Ti ($279 base price), but with ~RTX 2070 ($499 base price) performance, that's very good progress and Nvidia will be in a tough spot. Better help the devs crank out some more RTX enabled games to justify the price (or come out with 7nm cards already).

It would be a good move if they priced it like the GTX 970 ($329) to remind Nvidia how cards used to be priced at in other times.

ilmazzo 05-27-2019 07:38 AM

Yup, I try to take always with a grain of salt every manufacturer demoing their own equipments, being amd, intel, nvidia or whatever.....anyway, Navi mid range is coming, what it will be only reviews will tell us....

maltamonk 05-27-2019 07:45 AM

The pcie 4.0 demo was pointless imo. We are barely pushing out 2.0 relevance. Is there any non niche case where 4.0 will be of any use to us?

Have to edit....wasn't thinking about nvme drives

WannaBeOCer 05-27-2019 07:54 AM

172 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmazzo (Post 27980616)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pony-tail (Post 27980602)

don't think so

anyway I'll just stick to the results, it can be powered by a steam wheel, the only thing I care is that pushes performance further on the same or slightly increased prices, I get bored analysing microarchitectures

Lisa Su already announced it's not GCN. It even shows it in the slide in the article. The new architecture is RDNA. Looks promising and similar to TeraScale.

They are finally splitting their compute cards GCN architecture and RDNA. Lisa Su also mentioned we'll see much more of GCN in the upcoming months since it will continue to be used for HPC.

Edit: 23:25

https://youtu.be/jy0Q75xCwDU