Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel - General (https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/)
-   -   Just a quick one (https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/1726626-just-quick-one.html)

Tobe404 05-28-2019 10:14 PM

Just a quick one

5820k at 4.5Ghz 1.275v
Cache at 3.9Ghz 1.2v - safe at that voltage? I only just started to OC the cache. Seems stable in Realbench/Aida/Games etc.
RAM at 2400Mhz 12CL

Even worth upgrading or should I hold off until Zen 3?

Thanks guys.

UltraMega 05-28-2019 10:25 PM

Yes that is safe. I used to have a 5820K. Should be fine up to about 1.35v

That said, 4.5ghz is pretty good for that CPU. The highest I ever got mine was 4.6ghz.

Your CPU is a great CPU. 6 core/12 thread with quad channel ram support. No reason to upgrade for gaming right now. Are you running your ram in quad channel?

I wouldn't bother messing with the cache. If you have it stable at 4.5ghz that is already plenty good enough. I don't think adjusting the cache will really do anything.

Tobe404 05-28-2019 10:38 PM

Nah, I only got 2 sticks of 8GB when I built the PC. I did look up the difference between Dual and Quad for RAM and didn't seem to be much of a difference. I might get 4 sticks one of these days though.

As it is my current RAM doesn't like going over 2666Mhz and that is very unstable at times. Even with increased voltage. So I figured I'd just try lower the timing and managed to go from 15 to 12.

I did get an extra 50 odd points in Cinebench R15 with the OC'd Cache. If it actually makes a difference in anything else though, who knows? I'll give it a go anyway.

Max temps were 74c for the hottest core and 79c for the CPU package (there is two CPU Package numbers listed in HWinfo though [74 and 79] so not sure which I should trust more).

Cheers.

UltraMega 05-28-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobe404 (Post 27983692)
Nah, I only got 2 sticks of 8GB when I built the PC. I did look up the difference between Dual and Quad for RAM and didn't seem to be much of a difference. I might get 4 sticks one of these days though.

As it is my current RAM doesn't like going over 2666Mhz and that is very unstable at times. Even with increased voltage. So I figured I'd just try lower the timing and managed to go from 15 to 12.

I did get an extra 50 odd points in Cinebench R15 with the OC'd Cache. If it actually makes a difference in anything else though, who knows? I'll give it a go anyway.

Max temps were 74c for the hottest core and 79c for the CPU package (there is two CPU Package numbers listed in HWinfo though [74 and 79] so not sure which I should trust more).

Cheers.

Those temps are fine but shouldn't go any higher.

I'd really recommend you get some quad channel ram if you can find it for a good price, which at 2400mhz you probably can. I had quad channel with my 5820K and it felt butter smooth.

Tobe404 05-28-2019 11:38 PM

Yeah I'll hold off on upgrading for now and see if i can find some quad channel RAM for a decent price. Thanks for the replies.

UltraMega 05-29-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobe404 (Post 27983736)
Yeah I'll hold off on upgrading for now and see if i can find some quad channel RAM for a decent price. Thanks for the replies.

Yea totally. You are aware that going quad channel will essentially double your memory bandwidth right? And without increasing the latency as well. For gaming it is at least as good as using dual channel DDR4 ram, so going quad channel would mean your really not behind modern systems at all, even on memory.

I kinda wish I had kept my 5820K but I tried to use it with ram that was just too fast for that CPU (tried to do 3200mhz in quad) and ended up running into a lot of problems. Mine also put out a ton of heat. I ended up swapping to something more simple but I feel like I should have just tried slower ram in quad.

ThrashZone 05-29-2019 05:57 AM

Hi,
Yep nice clock for the voltage
Cache wise yes 1.2v is the limit which if you're that high usually that's enough for 40.
frankly I use 38 with offset mode at +0.175 which brings cache voltage around 1.13v so you might try that

40 benchmarking I use offset mode +0.195 and maxes at 1.175v or so
Broardwell-e bios will push vccio cpu 1.05 voltage way up to 1.25v+ so watch that one most say don't exceed 1.15v on it so be aware some have had their chips fry and it was because of auto voltage and this one I noticed was way different from bios for haswell-e.

Tobe404 05-30-2019 03:40 AM

Just thought I'd update this.

Managed to drop the CPU to 4.5Ghz at 1.265v and it still seems stable and temps have dropped a little - 72 max core, 77 max CPU package.

Also managed to set the cache at 3.9Ghz at 1.159v.

Is there a difference between Adaptive mode vs Offset mode? I have the CPU in Adaptive and Cache in Offset but they both still down clock/down volt at idle.

Much appreciated.

ThrashZone 06-02-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobe404 (Post 27985226)
Just thought I'd update this.

Managed to drop the CPU to 4.5Ghz at 1.265v and it still seems stable and temps have dropped a little - 72 max core, 77 max CPU package.

Also managed to set the cache at 3.9Ghz at 1.159v.

Is there a difference between Adaptive mode vs Offset mode? I have the CPU in Adaptive and Cache in Offset but they both still down clock/down volt at idle.

Much appreciated.

Hi,
Adaptive isn't all that defined from offset although offset is my preference for cache
As long as your max cache voltage reading is less than 1.2v you should be fine with either.
The item to really focus on is vccio cpu and pch 1.05 voltage
Keep either well below 1.15v like haswell-e bios always did.