Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [Techspot]Next-gen Xbox arrives in Fall 2020: AMD powered, supports ray tracing and 120Hz 8K displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1727284-techspot-next-gen-xbox-arrives-fall-2020-amd-powered-supports-ray-tracing-120hz-8k-displays.html)

Swolern 06-09-2019 10:35 PM

[Techspot]Next-gen Xbox arrives in Fall 2020: AMD powered, supports ray tracing and 120Hz 8K displays

Highly anticipated: Although Cyberpunk 2077 was arguably the star of the show at Microsoft's annual Xbox E3 conference, that doesn't mean there weren't any other announcements to get excited about -- Project Scarlett, the gaming behemoth's next console, got a soft reveal as well.
On stage, we received new information about Scarlett's hardware and performance capabilities: now, we know it will feature "high bandwidth" GDDR6 memory and a "next generation" solid state drive. Combined, Microsoft believes that hardware will pave the way for reduced or outright eliminated loading screens in games.

So, what about the more meaty specs? Apparently, Scarlett will run a "custom-designed" AMD processor based on Ryzen Zen 2 technology, as well as a Navi-based video card.

Courtesy of this hardware, Scarlett will include support for a "variable" 120Hz refresh rate, hardware-accelerated ray tracing, 8K resolutions, and "ultra-low latency input." All in all, Microsoft claims Scarlett will be four times more powerful than its predecessor, the Xbox One X. While we'll have to see real-world performance results before we can verify those claims, they don't seem entirely unreasonable.

...Scarlett will include support for a "variable" 120Hz refresh rate, hardware-accelerated ray tracing, 8K resolutions, and "ultra-low latency input."

Speaking of the Xbox One X, Microsoft insists that the transition from the aging console to Project Scarlett will be relatively seamless. "With Project Scarlett, we continue our commitment to compatibility by ensuring your gaming accessories and Xbox career will also move forward with you, along with thousands of games across four console generations which will look and play best on Project Scarlett," the company says.

That statement seems to imply that a certain degree of backward compatibility will be available with Xbox One games. That's not exactly a surprise (the PlayStation 5 will have similar features), but it is still nice to know given the massive libraries many console gamers have already amassed.

In short, Project Scarlett is looking to be a pretty significant step forward for the Xbox community; even if it doesn't appear to be offering anything significantly different than the PS5.

If you're wondering when you can get your hands on a Scarlett system, Microsoft says it will be arriving sometime during the holiday season of 2020. As for what games you'll be able to pop in to take advantage of Scarlett's fancy new tech, the company says the upcoming Halo Infinite will be a notable launch title.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80433-...iday-2020.html

ILoveHighDPI 06-09-2019 11:19 PM

I’m super glad they mentioned low input latency.
Apparently Xbox One is regularly 30-50ms slower than PS4 with input lag. Any Xbox user who cares about competition needs to upgrade to Scarlett ASAP just for that feature alone.

Speaking of inputs, that Elite 2.0 is a must have. I’ve been ripping the springs out of my analog sticks for the last 20 years because tension is just too high and I can’t use a stock controller for more than a week without getting inflammation in my wrist (it was mostly console gaming in the 90’s that did that to me).
Springless sticks are still the ideal when I’m playing shooters (especially on the left stick so you can rest the stick at full tilt for movement) and I probably won’t ditch my modded Elite entirely, but getting tension just right for platforming games is nearly impossible (tension as low as possible but still snappy).

m4fox90 06-10-2019 01:35 AM

120hz variable refresh 8K on Zen/Navi?

What level of trickery/interpolating/downsampling do you think they're needing to achieve that?

Imouto 06-10-2019 02:39 AM

NAND, OR

prjindigo 06-10-2019 04:21 AM

I don't think it could have been less than at least 2x as powerful as it's predecessor since we literally have no hardware available with less power at this time.

Sadly it's still going to be nothing more than a laptop with no screen, keyboard, mouse or mobility.

UltraMega 06-10-2019 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prjindigo (Post 27997632)
I don't think it could have been less than at least 2x as powerful as it's predecessor since we literally have no hardware available with less power at this time.

Sadly it's still going to be nothing more than a laptop with no screen, keyboard, mouse or mobility.

Sure cause there's all those 8 core/16 thread ryzen/navi laptops floating around...

/sarcasm.

keikei 06-10-2019 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4fox90 (Post 27997548)
120hz variable refresh 8K on Zen/Navi?

What level of trickery/interpolating/downsampling do you think they're needing to achieve that?

The 8k remark was very deceptive. 8k presumably refers to 8k video playback. Another commenter mention 'ssd standard state drive'. I got a nice chuckle out of that one. Anywho, Halo Infinite will be released with this console @ launch, so that will be nice. No price or console prototype actually revealed.

EniGma1987 06-10-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI (Post 27997496)
I’m super glad they mentioned low input latency.
Apparently Xbox One is regularly 30-50ms slower than PS4 with input lag. Any Xbox user who cares about competition needs to upgrade to Scarlett ASAP just for that feature alone.

Speaking of inputs, that Elite 2.0 is a must have. I’ve been ripping the springs out of my analog sticks for the last 20 years because tension is just too high and I can’t use a stock controller for more than a week without getting inflammation in my wrist (it was mostly console gaming in the 90’s that did that to me).
Springless sticks are still the ideal when I’m playing shooters (especially on the left stick so you can rest the stick at full tilt for movement) and I probably won’t ditch my modded Elite entirely, but getting tension just right for platforming games is nearly impossible (tension as low as possible but still snappy).

Where are you getting that info? I am pretty sensitive to latency issues and I notice no such added 30-50ms latency on Xbox One X over playing on my PC on a game with the same 30fps lock.

Redwoodz 06-10-2019 11:10 AM

Funny how the haters are coming out saying 4k is impossible,can't be real, can't do 144Hz..etc. If it was blue or green they would be shouting how superior their hardware is.....anyhow,
This will bring PC gaming gear down in prices.

UltraMega 06-10-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwoodz (Post 27998056)
Funny how the haters are coming out saying 4k is impossible,can't be real, can't do 144Hz..etc. If it was blue or green they would be shouting how superior their hardware is.....anyhow,
This will bring PC gaming gear down in prices.

It may have an option to do 120hz or 4k, but it's unlikely it will be doing anything in 4k and 120hz at the same time unless its something very simple.

It's just unlikely any devs would choose to design their games that way. If you can aim for 4K 120hz with lower graphics or 4k 60hz with the best graphics you can get out of the system, devs are gonna do the latter. Hell, they might even keep aiming for 30hz a lot of the time.

120hz capability for consoles is not going to mean 120hz game in 4k. Not even a 2080 Ti can do 120hz 4K in newer games.