Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [PCGamesN] Nvidia says it has offered anti-lag settings like AMD’s for “more than a decade” (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1727450-pcgamesn-nvidia-says-has-offered-anti-lag-settings-like-amda-s-oemore-than-decadea.html)

WannaBeOCer 07-11-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 28030422)
It's set by most modern games to 1. And you can't go below 1 in NVCP either.

As speculated it's like pre rendered frames setting.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...5700-xt/2.html

There used to be setting of 0 but that's not available and maybe not even possible for NV cards anymore. Where as AMD has hardware scheduler still and may do a 0.

I couldn't find it tested anywhere and with the again broken AMD drivers I don't blame anyone for not testing it, there are 2060S, 2070S, 5700, 5700XT, 3000 series CPUs to review all in 1-2 weeks because AMD and NV are nuts and have price fix launch at same time at same prices with near identical value.

---

Again being explained as pre rendered frames:

DX11 only. Lowering the driver delay, aka how much CPU "pre renders" frames for GPU. I bet they set it to 0 and "synced CPU and GPU" instead of having 1-3 frames buffer/pre render, 1 is common but for say CF/SLI one would use even more.

They
Quote:

removed the 0 value because it never had an impact, and is, in fact, impossible. The GPU cannot render any frames without the CPU having prepared it first.

JackCY 07-12-2019 08:14 PM

0 means it's in sync but that also means more variability and the sync isn't perfect. Where as with 1+ there is always/often a frame for GPU to process because it has been pre-rendered/pre-prepared by CPU for the GPU.

0 is possible but you may lose some smoothness of frame times and have higher average frame time.

WannaBeOCer 07-12-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 28040426)
0 means it's in sync but that also means more variability and the sync isn't perfect. Where as with 1+ there is always/often a frame for GPU to process because it has been pre-rendered/pre-prepared by CPU for the GPU.

0 is possible but you may lose some smoothness of frame times and have higher average frame time.

That quote was off of nVidia's forum which they indicate the reason they removed "0"

I would post that link again but last time I did it was removed.

JackCY 07-12-2019 10:20 PM

Ah, OK, well NV is different design than what AMD has so it's expected, NV "can't do it".
Will be nice to see if anyone with the cards and tools will dig in to figure out precisely what they improved beyond guessing what it may be.

RamenRider 07-15-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28032780)
Watch out! That DPC latency will definitely break everything in all ways possible! AFAIK, nVidia employ a software scheduler, as opposed to AMD's hardware scheduler, the former of which being the main culprit. In any case, sub-milisecond DPC latency spikes in no way influence the kind of latency one WOULD FEEL.

Now, if you could explain exactly what you mean by decreasing latency by reducing image quality "on a hardware level", I'm all ears.

Ah software scheduler. That explains it. Watch the video I linked. I don't know the exact time but it should be in the navi section. They tested the same frame to frame with different GPUs.