Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hard Drives & Storage (https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/)
-   -   NVMe not detected on a cold boot (https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/1727618-nvme-not-detected-cold-boot.html)

AciPunkEx 06-16-2019 03:31 AM

NVMe not detected on a cold boot

Hey guys i'm having some trouble with my NVMe in my new PC i'm hoping someone might have the answer to.

I've built a new PC, and everything works perfectly when its up and running.

My problem is that most of the time, my NVMe drive isn't detected on a cold boot. (PC being off for an extended period of time)

It says boot files missing on a black screen, if i go straight into bios, my hard drive isn't listed under the boot options. However, if i then restart my PC, it will detect the drive and start up fine.

Heres my specs..

Ryzen 1700 (stock cooler)
16gb DDR4 Corsair Venegeance LP 3000mhz ram

Gigabyte Auros x470 ultra motherboard
Corsair MP510 240gb NVMe SSD

Aerocool Integrator 700w Bronze PSU
Palit Jetstream GTX 1070
1tb Toshiba HDD

So far ive tried..

-re-seating the drive
-trying it in a different port
-checking the NVMe for errors (comes back fine)
-changing motherboard battery
-updating motherboard bios (is now on latest)
-upgrading NVMe firmware (already on latest)
-disabling CSM in bios (fastboot already disabled too)

I also disconnected the other drive when installing windows, so the boot manager is definitely on the NVMe also.

Ive googled this but with no final solutions found.

Thanks!

shilka 06-16-2019 06:15 AM

Return the drive there is something wrong with it dont know what but something is wrong with it, what are you using the drive for anyway? hope its not gaming
Off topic but wanted to warn you that the PSU you have is god awful and should be replaced

Rocklin 06-16-2019 06:12 PM

Agreed shilka, i too avoid bronze psu's,

& only tricks i know of

https://windowsreport.com/fix-corrupt-mbr-boot-sector/

Also, can usually tap F12 furiously during boot, see what is listed & try to boot there.

Perhaps an Nvme pcie adapter/enclosure would yield different results ($20ish)

shilka 06-17-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklin (Post 28007324)
Agreed shilka, i too avoid bronze psu's,

& only tricks i know of

https://windowsreport.com/fix-corrupt-mbr-boot-sector/

Also, can usually tap F12 furiously during boot, see what is listed & try to boot there.

Perhaps an Nvme pcie adapter/enclosure would yield different results ($20ish)

The 80 plus efficiency rating has nothing to do with quality and there are units with an 80 plus titanium rating that are junk so again has nothing to do with quality
The Aerocool PSU the OP has is made by HEC which means its not very good thats the reason why it should be replaced not because of its efficiency rating

Rocklin 06-17-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 28007532)
The 80 plus efficiency rating has nothing to do with quality and there are units with an 80 plus titanium rating that are junk so again has nothing to do with quality
The Aerocool PSU the OP has is made by HEC which means its not very good thats the reason why it should be replaced not because of its efficiency rating

ah i see

AciPunkEx 06-18-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 28006706)
Return the drive there is something wrong with it dont know what but something is wrong with it, what are you using the drive for anyway? hope its not gaming
Off topic but wanted to warn you that the PSU you have is god awful and should be replaced

If you dont know what could be wrong with it, then how can you assume something IS wrong with it??.

Also i dont know why your critisizing my power supply? I didnt post in regards to that.
And why does it matter what I use MY NVMe for? I use it for windows and yes, gaming, because i play MMORPG's and it helps immensely with map loading times.

Seems like your eager to insult people.

Turns out you were wrong anyways, the hard drive is perfectly fine and ive now fixed the issue. It was a windows power setting in windows 10, 'Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings' then i unticked the 'Turn on fast start-up' which was enabled by default.

shilka 06-18-2019 09:21 AM

I was trying to help and inform you and was asking you a question dont know why you take that as insults
Your PSU is still awful and if you want to play russian roulette with your PC go ahead you have been warned