Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Graphics Cards - General (https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/)
-   -   Hold MSI RTX 2080 Ti Trio with one screw? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/1727820-hold-msi-rtx-2080-ti-trio-one-screw.html)

Melodist 06-19-2019 12:00 PM

Hold MSI RTX 2080 Ti Trio with one screw?

Hey there,

While Installing my new 2080 Ti, the first screw started to reach a point where I can tighten it a little bit before it turns lose again. Is that a safety issue or shouldn't I worry that the first screw doesn't tighten as tight anymore?

Are there solutions to get it right again?

shilka 06-19-2019 12:12 PM

Did you try another screw? if not try that and if there is no problem with the second screw throw the first one away and use the second one

littledonny 06-19-2019 12:21 PM

To which screw are you referring exactly?

Melodist 06-19-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littledonny (Post 28010906)
To which screw are you referring exactly?

One of the 2 screws that hold your GPU in the slot of your chassis.

Melodist 06-19-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 28010896)
Did you try another screw? if not try that and if there is no problem with the second screw throw the first one away and use the second one

Yeah, it is the winding if the hole which is not allowing the screw to tighten up again, it tightens up a little bit and then when you turn it further it gets loose again, typcial wear problem.

littledonny 06-19-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melodist (Post 28010916)
Yeah, it is the winding if the hole which is not allowing the screw to tighten up again, it tightens up a little bit and then when you turn it further it gets loose again, typcial wear problem.

As long as it's solidly anchored to the case you have nothing to worry about.

Jedi Mind Trick 06-19-2019 01:07 PM

Sounds like you stripped your case's screw 'hole.' I wouldn't worry too much about only using one screw (unless you move/abuse your computer a lot); no issues using only one with my 1080 TI Gaming X Trio (I assume it is similar in size/weight to the 2080 Ti Trio). If you are worried about it, you could look for an even larger (diameter, not length) screw (don't over tighten it or you'll have the same issue again).

Just out of curiosity, what case is this?

Melodist 06-19-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick (Post 28010964)
Sounds like you stripped your case's screw 'hole.' I wouldn't worry too much about only using one screw (unless you move/abuse your computer a lot); no issues using only one with my 1080 TI Gaming X Trio (I assume it is similar in size/weight to the 2080 Ti Trio). If you are worried about it, you could look for an even larger (diameter, not length) screw (don't over tighten it or you'll have the same issue again).

Just out of curiosity, what case is this?

Enthoo Evolve at****

Melodist 06-19-2019 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Da tower

ntuason 06-19-2019 02:35 PM

I don't know about only one screw, X Trio is a very heavy card and if that one screw were to fail your PCIE is holding all that weight.