Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   General Processor Discussions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/)
-   -   9900k / 2080 TI seems a bit choppy (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1728014-9900k-2080-ti-seems-bit-choppy.html)

overvolted 06-23-2019 03:38 PM

9900k / 2080 TI seems a bit choppy

My old 4790k / Asus Maximus Hero rig finally bit the dust so I decided to upgrade. I'm still using my same EVGA P1000 P2 Power Supply. Here's what I went with:

Noctua NH-D15s
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC HYBRID
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
Samsung M.2 970 Pro 1tb
Samsung M.2 970 Pro 512gb
G.SKILL TridentZ 3600MHZ CL15

In general everything seems fine but there's some quirks here and there. The old PC seemed maybe a tad bit less choppy in windows, you know that random mouse or window freeze that happens from time to time. And even though I'm getting really great frames in something like Battlefield 5 on a 64 man servers, it's still not completely smooth and it does skip frames (I have the PG279Q Gsync Monitor). I did also get one random crash while restarting with a bootable Windows 10 USB connected.

Another thing I notice, it takes about 12 seconds or so to boot into windows. There's videos out there of people with much cheaper systems but with my same NVMe SSD and booting seemingly instantly (my fast boot is enabled). The behavior is the same on both of my Samsung NVMe drives as well. I've made sure windows is optimized, unnecessary features turned off, ect. All my testing is being done with a fresh install.

The 2080 Ti is actually not recognized when I try to install the NVIDIA driver, I have to install using the update program in Geforce Experience. Not sure if that's relevant to all this, figured it's worth a mention. Disabling / Enabling XMP on the memory makes no difference either. I guess I'm just paranoid, not wanting to spend all this money on something that might not be working 100%. Or maybe my expectations for how smooth it should be are a bit too high? Any help on the matter is much appreciated, as I've been doing the process of elimination thing for the last 3 days with the same results.

The Pook 06-23-2019 03:53 PM

Occasional BFV stutter is the game, it's not your hardware. In BFV DX11 will stutter less than DX12, but overall performance is worse. Some people in the BFV thread here on OCN said disabling HT fixes it, but it made no difference for me.

The driver install problem is something I've ran into with my 1080 Ti too, it started after 419.67. I just download GFE when I want to update the driver, download/install the new driver through GFE, and then uninstall GFE. Haven't found a fix.

Can't help you with the slow boot, my rig boots up plenty fast with a budget NVME drive with fast boot disabled even with a bootloader to manage dual boot between 10/8.1 EIP/MXL.

PriestOfSin 06-23-2019 03:59 PM

I think BFV stuttering is just the game being the game. My main rig stutters occasionally as well, and it's got more than enough grunt.

Are you running the latest bios for the motherboard?

overvolted 06-23-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28015058)
Occasional BFV stutter is the game, it's not your hardware. In BFV DX11 will stutter less than DX12, but overall performance is worse. Some people in the BFV thread here on OCN said disabling HT fixes it, but it made no difference for me.

The driver install problem is something I've ran into with my 1080 Ti too, it started after 419.67. I just download GFE when I want to update the driver, download/install the new driver through GFE, and then uninstall GFE. Haven't found a fix.

Can't help you with the slow boot, my rig boots up plenty fast with a budget NVME drive with fast boot disabled even with a bootloader to manage dual boot between 10/8.1 EIP/MXL.

So you get the 5-6 second boot that I'm seeing on youtube clips?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PriestOfSin (Post 28015066)
I think BFV stuttering is just the game being the game. My main rig stutters occasionally as well, and it's got more than enough grunt.

Are you running the latest bios for the motherboard?

Yeah I'm running the latest Bios, seemed about the same as before I updated. As long as that's normal for BF5 I'm cool with it.

ntuason 06-23-2019 04:09 PM

Its just the game. Same thing happens to me but when its not stuttering its BSODing.

overvolted 06-23-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28015058)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntuason (Post 28015078)
Its just the game. Same thing happens to me but when its not stuttering its BSODing.

I notice you and me have the same exact system almost. Do you find overall desktop usage a bit suttery at times? And do you get the 5 to 6 second boot times NVMe ssds are supposed to get or is it more around 12-13 seconds like me?

The Pook 06-23-2019 04:16 PM

Who times their boot? :o

If it's stuttering at the desktop, no, that's not normal for a $500 CPU and a $300 NVME drive.

WannaBeOCer 06-23-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overvolted (Post 28015082)
I notice you and me have the same exact system almost. Do you find overall desktop usage a bit suttery at times? And do you get the 5 to 6 second boot times NVMe ssds are supposed to get or is it more around 12-13 seconds like me?

5-6 seconds to boot on a desktop is ridiculously fast and require a ton of tweaking. By default mine takes 8 seconds just to post due to MCH Full check and to Windows 20 seconds and Clear Linux 13 seconds. Not to mention all the different controllers on motherboards now a days.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...time,5810.html

I find Windows UI a bit sluggish which is why I no longer use it for normal use but only benchmarking.

ntuason 06-23-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overvolted (Post 28015082)

Desktop experience is very smooth. Absolutely no problems there. As for start up I just timed it (LOL) and 4.3sec from powered off to desktop. It should no be taking more than 10 seconds IMO. But then again I disabled a top of start up software.

ComansoRowlett 06-23-2019 04:54 PM

Sometimes boards can take a long time to train too, you'll often find high end boards take the longest to train because those need it for better memory clocks. For example my C7H takes about 10 seconds just to post, and from cold boot will always cycle twice before getting up and running. OS stuttering I'm not sure of though, you could always try a high performance power plan and see if a higher C-state stops it.