Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/)
-   -   Looking for Cooling Thoughts/Opinions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1728168-looking-cooling-thoughts-opinions.html)

zyxwvu4321 06-26-2019 12:01 PM

Looking for Cooling Thoughts/Opinions
 
In the next few weeks (or however long it takes to read good reviews and for product to come available) I'm hoping to buy a Ryzen 3700x or 3800x, and I figured it may be a good time to look into changing up my CPU cooling as well. Right now I'm running a Corsair H100i purchased back in 2014, although I did replace the stock fans with Noctua NF-A12x25s back in the fall.

I haven't decided for sure whether to really overclock the new CPU (going to wait for reviews to see how they do), but even if not, I'd still like to get good cooling to maximize what PBO/XFR can do. So I thought I'd ask around for suggestions/recommendations/advice/etc. Quieter is definitely a plus. Here's a few alternatives that have run through my brain:

1) Roll with current cooling set up?
2) Grab a NH-D15S (maybe slap one of those NF-A12x25s on it?)
3) Hold out until new Noctua "D" model is released?
4) Go a different direction? I'm not married to Noctua, just using those models as examples since they are widely regarded as being extremely good.

Other relevant parts for clearances,etc:
Case: Fractal Define XL R2 (Also have 5 Phanteks PH-F140SPs at my disposal) http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...-titanium-grey
RAM: Team Dark Pro (specs say 45mm high) https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/dark-pro-ddr4
Motherboard: X470 Taichi https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp

Thanks in advance for any input!

ears_ears 06-26-2019 01:56 PM

Keep your h100i

TeslaHUN 06-26-2019 02:08 PM


Dogzilla07 06-27-2019 04:38 AM

a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, a NH-D15S, a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or a Thermalright Silver Arrow T8 as your cooler with their respective stock fan (with only the middle one for the dual towers) would be my recommendation. And I'd lean towards Le Grand Macho RT.

What case do you have, clearance might be an issue for some of these. (Edit: I'm just blind i didn't notice you mentioned the case already xD)

And lastly, use the NF-A12x25s as intake.

doyll 06-27-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvu4321 (Post 28018196)
In the next few weeks (or however long it takes to read good reviews and for product to come available) I'm hoping to buy a Ryzen 3700x or 3800x, and I figured it may be a good time to look into changing up my CPU cooling as well. Right now I'm running a Corsair H100i purchased back in 2014, although I did replace the stock fans with Noctua NF-A12x25s back in the fall.

I haven't decided for sure whether to really overclock the new CPU (going to wait for reviews to see how they do), but even if not, I'd still like to get good cooling to maximize what PBO/XFR can do. So I thought I'd ask around for suggestions/recommendations/advice/etc. Quieter is definitely a plus. Here's a few alternatives that have run through my brain:

1) Roll with current cooling set up?
2) Grab a NH-D15S (maybe slap one of those NF-A12x25s on it?)
3) Hold out until new Noctua "D" model is released?
4) Go a different direction? I'm not married to Noctua, just using those models as examples since they are widely regarded as being extremely good.

Other relevant parts for clearances,etc:
Case:https://www.google.com/search?client...her+2009#cns=1 (Also have 5 Phanteks PH-F140SPs at my disposal) http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...-titanium-grey
RAM: Team Dark Pro (specs say 45mm high) https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/dark-pro-ddr4
Motherboard: X470 Taichi https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp

Thanks in advance for any input!

Availability and price depends on where you are on Earth. Some places have better choices and prices than others.

Define XL R2 supports coolers up to 170mm tall. Best cooler value I know if is TRUE Spirit 140 Power, but sadly it is 171.2mm tall, so while you can make it fit, the tips of heatpipes will rub on side cover when latching/unlatching it. Not a big deal, but it does make it a little harder to get side cover on. Here is link to thread about TRUE Spirit 140 Power
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...140-power.html


You need better fans. The stock ones are no good. What fans depends on what is available in your area. Phanteks PH-F140MP 2-packs and 3-packs in some areas are very low priced and they are very good fans. Here I can get 2-packs for £16.26, making them only £8.13 each. 2x front and possible 1x bottom intake fans that have good pressure rating to flow a good amount of air into case. All holes in front panel and bottom not covered by fans need to be block so the cool air fans are pushing into case moves through case and out the back and does not leak back in front of fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus allow more airflow/better cooling around GPU and less heated air moving up around CPU cooler.

Here are some links to some Define case builds:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/23754692-post48.html


X470 Taichi has about 52mm center CPU to RAM socketd do just enough room for fan behind RAM. There is about 80mm center CPU to near side of PCIe socket so plenty of room for TS140P's 155mm width to fit.

poah 06-27-2019 07:33 PM

keep your H100i for the time being unless it isn't performing. what CPU do you currently have and what temps you getting?

doyll 06-28-2019 03:15 AM

I would not keep an H100 or any other CLC, especially one that is 5+ years old. No telling when the pump will fail and when it does you have no CPU cooling at all until you replace the CLC.

zyxwvu4321 06-28-2019 05:24 AM

Thanks for the input, folks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 (Post 28018876)
a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, a NH-D15S, a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or a Thermalright Silver Arrow T8 as your cooler with their respective stock fan (with only the middle one for the dual towers) would be my recommendation. And I'd lean towards Le Grand Macho RT.

Yeah, the Macho is definitely one that I've been looking at while considering changing things up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyll (Post 28019014)
Availability and price depends on where you are on Earth. Some places have better choices and prices than others.

Oh right, in the US, sorry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyll (Post 28019014)
Define XL R2 supports coolers up to 170mm tall. Best cooler value I know if is TRUE Spirit 140 Power, but sadly it is 171.2mm tall, so while you can make it fit, the tips of heatpipes will rub on side cover when latching/unlatching it. Not a big deal, but it does make it a little harder to get side cover on. Here is link to thread about TRUE Spirit 140 Power
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...140-power.html

That one does look very nice, especially for the price. The height issue is definitely a bummer there, though if push came to shove, I could probably shave off 2mm of the sound dampening material from the panel above where the cooler would be, haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyll (Post 28019014)
You need better fans. The stock ones are no good. What fans depends on what is available in your area. Phanteks PH-F140MP 2-packs and 3-packs in some areas are very low priced and they are very good fans. Here I can get 2-packs for £16.26, making them only £8.13 each. 2x front and possible 1x bottom intake fans that have good pressure rating to flow a good amount of air into case. All holes in front panel and bottom not covered by fans need to be block so the cool air fans are pushing into case moves through case and out the back and does not leak back in front of fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus allow more airflow/better cooling around GPU and less heated air moving up around CPU cooler.

Here are some links to some Define case builds:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/23754692-post48.html

Ah, yes, I didn't word things very clearly in my original post. I have replaced the case's stock fans, though it was with PH-F140SPs rather than PH-F140MPs. I hadn't even considered cutting out the grills to help with airflow. Thanks for that link!

Quote:

Originally Posted by poah (Post 28019700)
keep your H100i for the time being unless it isn't performing. what CPU do you currently have and what temps you getting?

Ryzen 2600. Just finishing up hour 3 of Prime95, 4GHz 1.2v. Peak has been 59.9 C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyll (Post 28019928)
I would not keep an H100 or any other CLC, especially one that is 5+ years old. No telling when the pump will fail and when it does you have no CPU cooling at all until you replace the CLC.

Yeah, the age of the cooler was one of the main factors that led me to start looking at replacing/upgrading.

Thanks again all!

Owterspace 06-28-2019 05:41 AM

If the XL is as deep as the Define R4 or Meshify C then True Spirit 140 Power will fit. I have both the R4 and Meshify and it fits in them. I even got TS140P to fit a CM 690II Advanced, though a tip or two was rubbing the side panel, but I could still close it.

TS140P is the best value cooler on the market.. its just tall.

doyll 06-28-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvu4321 (Post 28020012)
Thanks for the input, folks!

Oh right, in the US, sorry!



That one does look very nice, especially for the price. The height issue is definitely a bummer there, though if push came to shove, I could probably shave off 2mm of the sound dampening material from the panel above where the cooler would be, haha.

Ah, yes, I didn't word things very clearly in my original post. I have replaced the case's stock fans, though it was with PH-F140SPs rather than PH-F140MPs. I hadn't even considered cutting out the grills to help with airflow. Thanks for that link!

Ryzen 2600. Just finishing up hour 3 of Prime95, 4GHz 1.2v. Peak has been 59.9 C.

Yeah, the age of the cooler was one of the main factors that led me to start looking at replacing/upgrading.

Thanks again all!

Removing grills significantly lowers airflow resistance/increases airflow and lowers noise .. as does raising case up on open center caster base as shown in link. I can supply more detailed drawings of open center caster base if needed.

You don't need to remove any dampening material. Just push the top and bottom of panel tightly against case so the slide latches catch and slide panel forward. It leaves a little dent/line in the dampening material where heatpipe tips rub. When we tested NH-D14 against TRUE Spirit 140 Power, it cooled better than NH-D14 in A/B testing with same TY-143fan/fans. NH-D14 cools as well as NH-D15 and NH-D15S with same fans, so this means TRUE Spirit 140 Power out performs D15 .. as well as Le Grand Macho RT. Not by a lot but a few degrees .. and considering it's about halve the price, it's a win / win!
We tested using TY-143, but above 1500-1700rpm it become quite loud .. and to use that kind of extreme airflow requires same/similar case fans supplying cooler with needed airflow. Test results in link below
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22111036-post22.html

Those are good temps.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.