Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   Ryzen 3900X Build Log (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1728334-ryzen-3900x-build-log.html)

doggymad 06-29-2019 06:35 AM

Ryzen 3900X Build Log

Hey

So I've started buying parts for the new build as my i7 4770k/Radeon HD7850 are definitely needing an upgrade now. I'll put a (P) next to stuff I've already purchased. I'm also planning to put in a custom water loop in it too so I'll put those in - but that'll be towards the end of of July 'cause £££.

Build:

- AMD Ryzen 3900X
- Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact X570
- 850W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold (P)
- Corsair Vengance LPX 32GB 3200Mhz C16
- Corsair Carbide 400C Case (P)
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD (or PCIe 4.0 Gigabyte/Corsair 1TB if available)
- MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X (P)

Water Loop:
- EK-Velocity RGB AMD CPU Water Block - Full Nickel
- EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual Fan) Radiator
- Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360mm Triple Fan Water Cooling Radiator
- EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump)
- EK-HDC 12mm Hard Tube Fitting - Elox Black (x10)
- EK-Duraclear Tubing 16/11 - Clear 1M (x2)
- EK-FC RTX 2080 TI / 2080 Classic RGB Water Block
- Mayhems Pastel - Red Coolant 1L

What are people's thoughts? I've not built a water loop before and this is first computer I've built since my last one. I also plan on picking up a 4k/144hz monitor in August some time.

Thanks in advance :). Must say I'm quite excited!

***edit - plus these fans - 5 x Ritoro RGB Case Fan & Controller

doggymad 07-05-2019 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I've made a few changes, either because I got a good price and also because I bought 128GB 2666 RAM for £230 and sold it for £325 so managed to build the budget a bit!

I changed the case because wanted something a bit bigger for water cooling a few weeks down the line.

This is what it looks like now:

- AMD Ryzen 3900X
- Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact X570
- 850W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold (P)
- G-Skill TridentZ Red/Silver 32GB (16GB x 2) 3200Mhz C14 (P)
- Fractal Design Define S2 (P)
- Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD (P)
- 4TB HDD
- MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X (P)

There will be a few changes to water cooling. Going to swap out the radiators for some Alpha Crossflow, change the fittings (as I picked hard tube fittings), use Mayhem tubing instead of Duraclear and then have a t-piece + drain after the pump/res and have a top fill port (that's be easier to fill and get air out apparently?).

Pic attached for anyone interested!

Fluxmaven 07-05-2019 11:24 AM

Looks like you are heading in a good direction. The Define S2 will be more pleasant to build in. Are you going to stick with 240+360mm Radiators or run dual 360s? Never heard of the fans you mentioned, and most cheap RGB fans aren't that great. More rad surface means you can run the fans at a lower RPM and keep everything nice and quiet.

I just picked up that same B-die kit. The little red plastic pieces can be popped off easily. I think it looks neat without that.

doggymad 07-06-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluxmaven (Post 28027338)
Looks like you are heading in a good direction. The Define S2 will be more pleasant to build in. Are you going to stick with 240+360mm Radiators or run dual 360s? Never heard of the fans you mentioned, and most cheap RGB fans aren't that great. More rad surface means you can run the fans at a lower RPM and keep everything nice and quiet.

I just picked up that same B-die kit. The little red plastic pieces can be popped off easily. I think it looks neat without that.

I quite like the red, I'm going very much for Red & Black type theme - fan RGBs and liquid red, and then the rest black. Not very imaginative I know - but I figure liquid and RGB can be changed so I can switch it up if I fancy!

I think I will change to 2 360 rads. Looking at the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper X-Flow 360mm Triple Fan Radiators which seem like a good option. What addressable (i.e. work with Asrock/Gigabyte/Asus sync tech) RGB fans are the best? People mention the Noctua F12s a lot but I think they are ugly as sin!

I've changed the water loop plan:

- Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT Vision Copper CPU cooler
- EK-FC RTX 2080 TI / 2080 Classic RGB Water Block
- 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper X-Flow 360mm Triple Fan Water Cooling Radiator
- EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump)
- Mayhems Ultra Clear Watercooling Tubing (3/8 - 5/8) 16/10mm - 3m
- XSPC G1/4" to 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting (Matte Black) V2 - 8 Pack
- Alphacool Eiszapfen 16/10mm Threaded Rotatable 90 Degree G1 / 4 Fitting - Black x 4
- EK-AF FillPort G1/4 - Black
- EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G14 - Black Nickel
- EK-AF Y-Splitter Rotary 2F-1M G1/4 - Black Nickel

I'm also going with a different MoBo - possibly still Asus but a full ATX board, or the AsRock Taichi X570. All depends on pricing tbh - I don't really want to spend more than £300-350 on a motherboard and even that feels a bit much!

Fluxmaven 07-06-2019 04:31 PM

Nothing wrong with that. I'm just personally sick of the black and red theme since I have had black and red rig for the last few years. Going for a mostly white build this time around. I will probably paint the plastic piece white and put it back on.

I have an Alphacool XT45 420mm laying around that I will use on my upcoming build. I wouldn't buy Alphacool pumps, but their radiators are decent. Hardware Labs are better, and if you can get them for a reasonable price, are the best option. The Alphacools will be just fine though. The only major brand rad I would specifically avoid would be the EK SE series.

As for fans. Most RGB fans suck or are just mediocre and overpriced. A popular option if you must have RGB fans is to add Phanteks Halos to any nice fan. Not all Noctuas are poo brown. Their Industrial and Cromax lines are black and have colored rubber corners. The Redux line are light grey.

Other good fans that are commonly recommended that I own and like are BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 and Corsair ML series.

Curious, why did you get that Sea hawk X? MSI makes a Sea Hawk EK X that already has a water block on it... I assume since you also listed a GPU block in your parts list that you must have got the Sea Hawk that has a closed loop cooler.

doggymad 07-07-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluxmaven (Post 28028672)
Nothing wrong with that. I'm just personally sick of the black and red theme since I have had black and red rig for the last few years. Going for a mostly white build this time around. I will probably paint the plastic piece white and put it back on.

I have an Alphacool XT45 420mm laying around that I will use on my upcoming build. I wouldn't buy Alphacool pumps, but their radiators are decent. Hardware Labs are better, and if you can get them for a reasonable price, are the best option. The Alphacools will be just fine though. The only major brand rad I would specifically avoid would be the EK SE series.

As for fans. Most RGB fans suck or are just mediocre and overpriced. A popular option if you must have RGB fans is to add Phanteks Halos to any nice fan. Not all Noctuas are poo brown. Their Industrial and Cromax lines are black and have colored rubber corners. The Redux line are light grey.

Other good fans that are commonly recommended that I own and like are BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 and Corsair ML series.

Curious, why did you get that Sea hawk X? MSI makes a Sea Hawk EK X that already has a water block on it... I assume since you also listed a GPU block in your parts list that you must have got the Sea Hawk that has a closed loop cooler.

I'll take a look at them fans in that case and see what I can do about RGB! Maybe Noctua with the Halos if it looks easy enough to put together.

The pump/res I've gone for is the EK Combo. Then 2 360 Alphacool Rads.

The only reason I got the Sea Hawk X is because I got it at a good price. The PCB is standard though so can remove and put into a custom loop.

I've now decided to go for the AsRock Taichi X570. I've ordered it - I think that Scan UK must've had a glitch because I bought it at £240, but on their site now its £320. Although unfortunately they haven't had stock in. Equally I can't find anywhere with the 3900X, but Amazon UK hasn't had them on yet so I'll keep checking today otherwise I'll have to preorder in the hope I get it relatively quickly!

doggymad 07-11-2019 03:00 AM

6 Attachment(s)
So I've got most of the system now (just a 4TB HDD to get for storage now). I'm going to pick up a Ultra Wide screen and the water-cooling loop in a few weeks. Here's some early pics!