Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/)
-   -   Driver crashes, is it hardware or software? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1728518-driver-crashes-hardware-software.html)

philhalo66 07-02-2019 03:21 PM

Driver crashes, is it hardware or software?

ok so for the past month and change i been getting loads of drivers crashes out of nowhere. Now here is the weird part, i ran furmark for over 20 minutes and it never even broke a sweat but the VRM got to 76C and i shut it off. i heard EVGA 1080's have a tendency for VRM failures. i also ran timespy extreme for about 2.5 hours never once crashed and i also ran heavan for well over 3 hours and not so much as a hint of any issues, load into wow, less than 15 minutes driver crashes. but its not only WoW causing it. ARK Survival evolved it crashes constantly with drivers crashes. It can go days without any crashes and in one day can crash 5+ times so its very much a random thing. not much useful info in Event Viewer but if someone requests it ill post it here its mostly generic nvidia driver crashes. any help would be great im at my wits end im about to call EVGA if i cant solve this and get it replaced.

JackCY 07-02-2019 04:22 PM

Synthetics are poor at finding instability, they also likely have a dedicated code path in the driver to "boost" scores in benchmarks for better brand image.

Games will crash more easily. Downclock it but keep volts high, does it still crash? If not then it's hardware, if yes then it's software. Companies love to mess up VRAM and VRM cooling, causing issues with cards. NV drivers can hardly ever be called 100% stable, even their power saving features tend to cause issues in some situations where they fail to clock higher when necessary.

philhalo66 07-02-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 28024506)
Synthetics are poor at finding instability, they also likely have a dedicated code path in the driver to "boost" scores in benchmarks for better brand image.

Games will crash more easily. Downclock it but keep volts high, does it still crash? If not then it's hardware, if yes then it's software. Companies love to mess up VRAM and VRM cooling, causing issues with cards. NV drivers can hardly ever be called 100% stable, even their power saving features tend to cause issues in some situations where they fail to clock higher when necessary.

ill drop the clocks on VRAM and GPU -105Mhz and test, if it still crashes i'll have to give EVGA a call. this is a good idea, thanks.