Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/)
-   -   "Budget" X570 motherboards? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1728852-budget-x570-motherboards.html)

kamil234 07-07-2019 05:41 PM

"Budget" X570 motherboards?
 
Looking to get the 3900x to upgrade my 3570k. I will be buying net motherboard,CPU,RAM.

Im not going to be overclocking the CPU much most likely, but will overclock the RAM. Looking to do 3733C15 or C16. (GSkill TridentZ)

Which motherboard would be best for this setup?

Looking currently a the x570 TAICHI or Aorus ELITE? Suggestions up to ~$300 welcome. I dont care much for RGB, or any of that lighting stuff. Just want a solid stable board.

The Pook 07-07-2019 05:51 PM

The X570 Taichi uses T-Topology for the DIMM slots. If you're planning on running 4 DIMMs I'd probably avoid. Otherwise it seems like a solid board.

Though if you're only aiming for 3733 it might not be a huge issue. My Z390 Taichi is T-Toplogy and it handles 4 DIMMs at up to ~3650 but not any higher, while either kit in a 2x8 config is usable up to 4200.

I believe the X570 Aorus Elite is daisy chain. Haven't read much up on it though.

AlphaC 07-07-2019 05:59 PM

Aorus Elite and Taichi are basically the same power delivery. Aorus Elite is daisy chain memory.


Anyway if you're overclocking memory there's no point over 3733MHz: it's all about subtimings.

kamil234 07-07-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaC (Post 28030464)
Aorus Elite and Taichi are basically the same power delivery. Aorus Elite is daisy chain memory.


Anyway if you're overclocking memory there's no point over 3733MHz: it's all about subtimings.

Yeah, i’m going for 3733 only since over that theres a 2:1 divider. Im not too versed in daisy chain vs t toplogy, which one is better ? I’m going to run 2x8 memory for now, but probably will upgrade to 4x8 eventually.

AlphaC 07-07-2019 06:40 PM

For 2 DIMMs Daisy chain is better generally.


Worth a read: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...g-guide/4.html

kamil234 07-07-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaC (Post 28030512)
For 2 DIMMs Daisy chain is better generally.


Worth a read: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...g-guide/4.html


TY!

Helgaiden 07-07-2019 07:32 PM

I'm looking at the Asrock X570 Steel legend, and it being an 8+2 DrMOS VRM config has me wondering about its feasibility with a 3900X. If PBO and XFR work well enough, i may not venture into OCing it too much unless i can hit the boost freq on all cores, or even go above that. What do y'all think of this one? i personally am trying to stay around $200ish tho.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570%2...gend/index.asp

The Pook 07-07-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helgaiden (Post 28030580)
I'm looking at the Asrock X570 Steel legend, and it being an 8+2 DrMOS VRM config has me wondering about its feasibility with a 3900X. If PBO and XFR work well enough, i may not venture into OCing it too much unless i can hit the boost freq on all cores, or even go above that. What do y'all think of this one? i personally am trying to stay around $200ish tho.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570%2...gend/index.asp


@AlphaC is the resident OCN brain for motherboards, probably should quote him so he gets a notification.

Going by this post by AlphaC the Asus TUF Plus X570 for the same price has a marginally better VRM but the Steel Legend has a better VRM heatsink.

Helgaiden 07-07-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28030616)
@AlphaC is the resident OCN brain for motherboards, probably should quote him so he gets a notification.

Going by this post by AlphaC the Asus TUF Plus X570 for the same price has a marginally better VRM but the Steel Legend has a better VRM heatsink.

Thank you for the info and thank you for tagging him. I'll drop a quote just in case as well.





Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaC (Post 28030512)
For 2 DIMMs Daisy chain is better generally.


Worth a read: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...g-guide/4.html


AlphaC 07-07-2019 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Need to wait for reviews though , we found out later on that the TUF is 12 powerstages via ASP1106 PWM (likely Realtek). This only has 4 PWM phases. The 3 powerstages on 1 PWM phase is something new. Maybe they're exploiting tri-state to shutdown the powerstages when no current is needed from them. Bing from ASUS ROG claims they have a current sense on each powerstage and are using it to modulate current.

The X570-P on the official ASUS page is 8+4 DrMOs rather than 10+2 , which is kind of odd since it seems overkill for SOC power. The PWM is also ASP1106 I believe.

On the Siliconlottery QVL list the cheapest board is Aorus Elite, which is 12x SiC634 50A DrMOs via 6 PWM signals doubled from an ISL PWM capable of 6+2 , akin to a $300 Asrock Taichi.

A typical powerstage is around 90-93% efficient (70A TDA21472 is closer to 95%) so if you go by Anandtech's figure of 15-18W per core you're looking at about 180-216W maxed out. In turn to get <2W of heat per powerstage you'd need around 10 of them (if you go by powerout = 216W , the input is 240W so it's 24W of waste heat); 8x powerstages would be closer to 3W so if your thermal resistance is around 30°C/W you're looking at hitting around 100°C with a 30°C board temp. This is sort of balanced out by Asrock using FP 12k hour capacitors instead of 5K hour ones.

Of course if you're going for 8 core or less this is a non-issue essentially. For 12 cores+ I'd probably go for Aorus boards , MSI ace/Creation, Asus ROG Hero , Asrock Taichi or higher especially if airflow is poor. It remains to be seen how well TUF does (the Prime Pro is the same story).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.