Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [TweakTown] Intel Core i9-10900KF - 10C/20T @ 5.2GHz for $499 on 14nm+++ (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1729040-tweaktown-intel-core-i9-10900kf-10c-20t-5-2ghz-499-14nm.html)

WannaBeOCer 07-10-2019 12:27 AM

[TweakTown] Intel Core i9-10900KF - 10C/20T @ 5.2GHz for $499 on 14nm+++
 
2 Attachment(s)
Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66560...4nm/index.html

Quote:

A perfectly timed leak of Intel's new 10th-gen CPUs has hit with an exciting line up of 'Comet Lake' CPUs that will fall into 13 different chips, and will act as yet another refresh that will add on another plus bringing it up to a 14nm+++ node, up from the 14nm++ from the Coffee Lake refresh. Anyway, check them out:

Newbie2009 07-10-2019 12:49 AM

lol another new socket

garych 07-10-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2009 (Post 28034750)
lol another new socket

AMD: Same socket - smaller lithography


Intel: Same lithography - different socket


LEMAO :laughings

naved777 07-10-2019 01:11 AM

Still PCIe 3.0 ?

GHADthc 07-10-2019 01:15 AM

"A socket a year keeps the goyim in fear" as they say....same ish, different smell, just more 14nm+++++++++ rehashing, the top model SKU will get trounced by the 3950X in productivity, and it'll be even more of a house-fire than the 9900 kelvin fried chicken, and make its "105" TPD look like a joke as usual.

Absolutely zero reason to go this over a 9 series Intel offering if all you are interested in is 1080p/240hz gaming or 4K/144Hz+ (Not that any company has any product offerings that are adequately up to that task yet), and absolutely zero reason to get these if you are interested in any sort of productivity that doesn't involve AVX512.

But you watch, the "Tech-Journalists" and media outlet's will climb their pedestals and crow at the top of their lungs on how amazing these are, NPC drones will flock to it, replace their perfectly adequate current Intel set-ups, or choose one of these over a Ryzen 2 for productivity related workloads, and then rinse and repeat the next year when the next rehash and socket comes out, ad-infinitum...It's getting pretty old and stale at this point Intel, some one wake me up when Ocean Cove leaks, as Intel is currently dead to me, until they sort out their myriad of security issues, their BS pricing, and actually improve in IPC significantly (And don't parrot that +18% IPC Sunny Cove BS, it was in a vacuum with no security mitigations in place, as stated by the fine-print on the marketing slide).

Imglidinhere 07-10-2019 01:22 AM

OMG that... that's so dumb... xD

Intel needs to stop with their ridiculous TDP naming scheme. This is hilarious, there's NO WAY their 10-core i9 is ONLY sitting at a TDP of 105w. That's hilarious. Not at 14nm+++, it doesn't matter how refined it gets.

Also another socket change!? Jesus Intel, take pointers for once in your life. This is getting silly. So you expect to remain competitive by forcing your customers to buy yet ANOTHER motherboard for these new chips? Yeah right. :P

NexusRed 07-10-2019 01:26 AM

This is most likely going to get lost in the storm of usual internet nonsense, but notice that this was posted in the RUMORS AND UNCONFIRMED ARTICLES section.. so please.... for the love of all things OCN.... TAKE THIS WITH A PLANETARY SIZED GRAIN OF SALT!

ibb27 07-10-2019 01:30 AM

New socket, OMG! Intel never change... :D

garych 07-10-2019 01:34 AM

Unfortunately this must be fake news, cause even for Intel it would be dumb to release a CPU with PCIe 3.0 after AMD had already launched PCIe 4.0 support.

ku4eto 07-10-2019 02:00 AM

Haha, yea, right.

10 cores at 3.6Ghz base, with 95TDP from Intel? 1st April is long gone. Even without boosting, it will be past those 95W.

Also, lower price than the 9900K, despite havign more cores?

I call gake and fay.

Hwgeek 07-10-2019 02:23 AM

Fake or Leaked on purpose to just stay relevant, but it won't be real product since even the 9900KS will be better CPU in gaming and some ADOBE style apps, so how they will justify the new socket cost?

akromatic 07-10-2019 03:51 AM

New socker.... lpddr4 new ram.......

7900/9900x have no reason to exist and they cost so much more for way lower performance

oxidized 07-10-2019 03:55 AM

If confirmed, might actually be ok, intel's main problem is the price, they have the performance with a comparable consumption to ryzen 3000, could be pretty good, the new socket is kinda fair, they've been using 1151 for 4 years now, and it might be because they want to make next gen CPUs compatible with these boards. I'm actually kinda interested.

dantoddd 07-10-2019 04:04 AM

If this is real could be ok. The new socket thing doesn't bother me. No one really buys new processors, people buy new PCs motherboard, CPU, RAM etc....

TriWheel 07-10-2019 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantoddd (Post 28034914)
If this is real could be ok. The new socket thing doesn't bother me. No one really buys new processors, people buy new PCs motherboard, CPU, RAM etc....

Target Audience^

philhalo66 07-10-2019 04:49 AM

LOL @ 105W, chances are its over 300W my 9900K at stock draws over 225

Defoler 07-10-2019 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2009 (Post 28034750)
lol another new socket

Hopefully this means more PCIE lanes directly to the CPU, though 1159 doesn't seems like much, so I don't know what the new pins are going to be used for. The 1150/1/1v2 have been very limited since it came out.
Even AMD's AM4 has 1331 pins.
To get more PCIE lanes out and support more things directly out of the CPU and not just the chipset, they need to add pins.

opt33 07-10-2019 05:20 AM

If it's fake, it's pretty funny trolling. If real, the right direction but a little late. With Ryzen 7nm giving me 20-40% increase productivity/blender/3d for half my computer... intel is a lost cause until at least 10nm is out. 3900 or 3950 will be my first ever amd cpu, then ? zen3 next year especially if it takes both productivity and gaming from intel.

Intel should spend there time on 10nm and trying to take back both gaming and productivity at given price point, even decreasing price of 9900k, while helpful, isnt going to make up for 20-40% productivity deficit.

ozlay 07-10-2019 05:24 AM

They should consider a name change. It seems too long. :)

Cysquatch 07-10-2019 05:29 AM

Obviously I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt as everyone should. If it is legit, from my broke guy perspective $159 for a 4 core 8 thread cpu with a 4.5 turbo clock, This would be a steal. Also this would compete heavily with AMD's lower end CPUs.

paulerxx 07-10-2019 05:32 AM

6 cores, 12 threads for $180-200 would be a steal tbh. just as the Ryzen 3600 is.

Insan1tyOne 07-10-2019 05:34 AM

When are we getting a new lithography from Intel with PCIE 4.0 and DDR5 support? That will most likely be the next time I upgrade my CPU / Mobo / RAM. Until then, I am just going to stick with what I've got.

Rayleyne 07-10-2019 05:43 AM

Oh look, same lithography, same arch... same ram...same pcie support... same chipset.... New socket, How many 14nm sockets have we had? how about for the same arch? this is pathetic

zGunBLADEz 07-10-2019 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
XD

dantoddd 07-10-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriWheel (Post 28034920)
Target Audience^

not really! the target audience is 99% of the PC desktop market. Very few people actually upgrade components. Most people buy new PCs.

Wishmaker 07-10-2019 06:47 AM

If this is true, what a time to be alive for the core wars!

dagget3450 07-10-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zGunBLADEz (Post 28035022)
XD

Your crushing the OP dreams who was so giddy about this chart he spammed the Ryzen review thread with it. OP is one of those folks who only want AMD to be competitive so buying Intel parts will be cheaper. There are many of them around. Seems like by now they would just be consumed with "intel is superior in every way forever" that they would just pay whatever intel asks and not flinch. I mean Intel provides far superior gaming fps even at 4k and beyond. It's a no brainer right?

WannaBeOCer 07-10-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagget3450 (Post 28035144)
Your crushing the OP dreams who was so giddy about this chart he spammed the Ryzen review thread with it. OP is one of those folks who only want AMD to be competitive so buying Intel parts will be cheaper. There are many of them around. Seems like by now they would just be consumed with "intel is superior in every way forever" that they would just pay whatever intel asks and not flinch. I mean Intel provides far superior gaming fps even at 4k and beyond. It's a no brainer right?

Exactly, AMD only exist to allow me to buy cheaper Intel and nVidia products.

ZealotKi11er 07-10-2019 06:59 AM

Even this is true, AMD will still beat them in productivity and gaming perf will not improve compared to current Intel CPUs. New Socket is a stupid idea and no PCIe 4.0 is also another stupid idea. People need to fight back and not buy these new MBs.

maltamonk 07-10-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zGunBLADEz (Post 28035022)
XD

I'll add the link

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/statu...29598298284032

For those not paying attention........it's a fake

oxidized 07-10-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayleyne (Post 28035014)
How many 14nm sockets have we had? how about for the same arch? this is pathetic

Ehm, one?

Alex132 07-10-2019 07:08 AM

Holy crap this thread in general:




https://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1522054403668.png

doom26464 07-10-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagget3450 (Post 28035144)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zGunBLADEz (Post 28035022)
XD

Your crushing the OP dreams who was so giddy about this chart he spammed the Ryzen review thread with it. OP is one of those folks who only want AMD to be competitive so buying Intel parts will be cheaper. There are many of them around. Seems like by now they would just be consumed with "intel is superior in every way forever" that they would just pay whatever intel asks and not flinch. I mean Intel provides far superior gaming fps even at 4k and beyond. It's a no brainer right?

He a well documented shill on this forums. I really wish the mods would ban him from posting topics in rumours and hardware news forums as its highly damaging to these forums.

He can be free to comment all he likes but remove him from spamming this shill intel/nvidia nonsense everywhere, its no secret he is immensely biased which bodes terrible for some one who controls like 50% of the forums hardware news.


Also as stated in the ryzen thread new socket really kills it for me. If intel kept the same socket it would at least have some potential to sell for previous intel owners.

aDyerSituation 07-10-2019 07:27 AM

Probably fake, but a 10 core at 5.2ghz sc would be right up my alley.

WannaBeOCer 07-10-2019 07:35 AM

235 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doom26464 (Post 28035210)
He a well documented shill on this forums. I really wish the mods would ban him from posting topics in rumours and hardware news forums as its highly damaging to these forums.

He can be free to comment all he likes but remove him from spamming this shill intel/nvidia nonsense everywhere, its no secret he is immensely biased which bodes terrible for some one who controls like 50% of the forums hardware news.


Also as stated in the ryzen thread new socket really kills it for me. If intel kept the same socket it would at least have some potential to sell for previous intel owners.

I post a variety of news. The only issue you have is with the Intel news I post. It clearly says it in the title the news is about Intel. If you do not want to read news about Intel do not click it.

rluker5 07-10-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035168)
Ehm, one?

1150 also had 14nm. Was more efficient for gaming too.

This looks tempting, but I need a GPU upgrade first. It would be more tempting if I couldn't make my 1080ti the bottleneck at 1080p.

EniGma1987 07-10-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2009 (Post 28034750)
lol another new socket


Well when the real power draw will be around 400 watts probably they need a new socket to handle the power. The extra 4 pins really do add an extra 100w capability :rolleyes:

oxidized 07-10-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rluker5 (Post 28035248)
1150 also had 14nm. Was more efficient for gaming too.

This looks tempting, but I need a GPU upgrade first. It would be more tempting if I couldn't make my 1080ti the bottleneck at 1080p.

Broadwell only and it was HEDT

Penicilyn 07-10-2019 08:04 AM

Guess I might as well just sell my Z390/9700K combo now and go AM4. I'm really tired of the 2 year socket crap that Intel keeps pulling.

tpi2007 07-10-2019 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course this is fake. Not only because apparently "FAKE" is literally written in there, hidden, as was already pointed out by some outlets, but because of other more mundane things:


1. The dollar sign on the CPU prices is on the wrong side, it's $499, not 499$;


2. Intel has for months now said - since at least January of this year, see link below - that they stopped referring to the 14nm manufacturing process improvements as 14nm+ and 14nm++, so of course they wouldn't use the "14+++ nm" nomenclature. Intel's official stance on 14nm and its improvements is now to call them all "14nm Class" (the same for 10nm):

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13405...-dive-review/2
Attachment 279026


3. The 9900KS is going to be released in Q4 (see below), so where exactly would this lineup fit? In Q2 2020 at the earliest?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14402...core-turbo-cpu
Quote:

Update 05/28: As part of his Computex keynote, Gregory Bryant has confirmed that the processor is launching in Q4 of this year. Pricing and TDP will presumably be announced much closer to the actual launch.

Jedi Mind Trick 07-10-2019 08:28 AM

The fact that the 3900x works okay in some B350 boards really highlights my problems with Intel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035286)
Broadwell only and it was HEDT

The 5675c/5775c were HEDT?

WannaBeOCer 07-10-2019 08:31 AM

235 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick (Post 28035344)
The fact that the 3900x works okay in some B350 boards really highlights my problems with Intel...

Coffee Lake working in z170/z270 and Asus confirming their z270 boards could run Coffee Lake without an issue with a bios/ME update already confirms Intel is full of it.

oxidized 07-10-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick (Post 28035344)
The fact that the 3900x works okay in some B350 boards really highlights my problems with Intel...



The 5675c/5775c were HEDT?

Forgot about that, but those really weren't that big of a series were they? Anyway 1151 was used for much time, and it was all 14nm, 1150 was basically all 22nm and a few SKUs at 14nm just at the end.

maltamonk 07-10-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035362)
Forgot about that, but those really weren't that big of a series were they? Anyway 1151 was used for much time, and it was all 14nm, 1150 was basically all 22nm and a few SKUs at 14nm just at the end.

1151 Had 2 revisions sky/kaby and coffee. They were not compatible so we can basically cut 1151's life by 2/3.

oxidized 07-10-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltamonk (Post 28035388)
1151 Had 2 revisions sky/kaby and coffee. They were not compatible so we can basically cut 1151's life by 2/3.

AMD changed as many sockets, stop using this as an excuse to bash on intel, use more reasonable facts instead. The socket is the same, and nobody is 100% certain they did that just for the sake of it.

LiquidHaus 07-10-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex132 (Post 28035182)
Holy crap this thread in general:

https://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1522054403668.png


This.

Intel fans are sooo thickheaded it's astounding.

WannaBeOCer 07-10-2019 08:54 AM

235 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035404)
AMD changed as many sockets, stop using this as an excuse to bash on intel, use more reasonable facts instead. The socket is the same, and nobody is 100% certain they did that just for the sake of it.

Asus can confirm: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59584...pus/index.html

AMD keeps backward and forward compatibility with new chipsets while the socket stays the same. Intel kept the same socket without keeping compatibility.

maltamonk 07-10-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035404)
AMD changed as many sockets, stop using this as an excuse to bash on intel, use more reasonable facts instead. The socket is the same, and nobody is 100% certain they did that just for the sake of it.

I never mentioned AMD. I had a bit of disappointment with my 1151 mobo when coffee lake came out b/c they were not compatible even though both being called 1151. That's it..it has nothing to do with AMD.

oxidized 07-10-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 28035412)
Asus can confirm: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59584...pus/index.html

AMD keeps backward and forward compatible with new chipsets while the socket stays the same. Intel kept the same socket without keeping culpability.

Not 100% confirmation, but ok, even if so the facts i said remain, whoever keeps complaining about intel's change of sockets, just don't know their facts, or are biased some way, AMD has had the same amount of sockets in the last 10 years, with the difference of having many less products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltamonk (Post 28035436)
I never mentioned AMD. I had a bit of disappointment with my 1151 mobo when coffee lake came out b/c they were not compatible even though both being called 1151. That's it..it has nothing to do with AMD.


Thing is everyone keep complaining about intel changing many sockets, when they changed just as much as AMD but for some reason nobody ever complains about the same thing with AMD.

maltamonk 07-10-2019 09:14 AM

Well I'm sure the A320 ppl are not exactly stoked. Well I wouldn't be...I haven't had an AMD cpu since k6-2 back in '97.

Anyways none of this is here nor there as this thread is about a fake leak. This should be closed as such since ppl tend to not read and will continue to assume it's true.

dagget3450 07-10-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 28035246)
I post a variety of news. The only issue you have is with the Intel news I post. It clearly says it in the title the news is about Intel. If you do not want to read news about Intel do not click it.

Oh you mean like you did in the ryzen thread with intel? I guess if i go to a Ryzen review thread i should expect Intel fake news right?
https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-...l#post28033578

The Pook 07-10-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035448)
Thing is everyone keep complaining about intel changing many sockets, when they changed just as much as AMD but for some reason nobody ever complains about the same thing with AMD.


wut?

Intel had the 5775C, the 6700K, the 7700K, the 8700K, and the 9900K since 2015. 3 different sockets for 5 CPUs: 1150, 1151, 1151 v2.

AMD had the 1700, the 2700X, the 2400G, and the 3900X since 2015. 1 socket for 4 CPUS.

WannaBeOCer 07-10-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagget3450 (Post 28035474)
Oh you mean like you did in the ryzen thread with intel? I guess if i go to a Ryzen review thread i should expect Intel fake news right?
https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-...l#post28033578

Yes you should.

oxidized 07-10-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28035476)
wut?

Intel had the 5775C, the 6700K, the 7700K, the 8700K, and the 9900K since 2015. 3 different sockets for 5 CPUs: 1150, 1151, 1151 v2.

AMD had the 1700, the 2700X, the 2400G, and the 3900X since 2015. 1 socket for 4 CPUS.

1151 are all the same, limitations are another thing, and no AM4 is 2016, and i said 10 years, in that amount of time they had the same amount of sockets, 8xxx and 9xxx series work on the same socket, same for 6xxx and 7xxx, or to better say, motheboards, since the socket is the same, and it's only partially changed from 6-7 to 8-9 series

The Pook 07-10-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035490)
1151 are all the same, limitations are another thing, and no AM4 is 2016, and i said 10 years, in that amount of time they had the same amount of sockets, 8xxx and 9xxx series work on the same socket, same for 6xxx and 7xxx.


I know, that's why I said 5 CPUs and 3 different sockets and not 5 different sockets.

3 > 1

Shawnb99 07-10-2019 09:40 AM

If they didn’t change sockets we wouldn’t need to buy new MB’s and new hardware to go with it.

EniGma1987 07-10-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxidized (Post 28035448)
Not 100% confirmation, but ok, even if so the facts i said remain, whoever keeps complaining about intel's change of sockets, just don't know their facts, or are biased some way, AMD has had the same amount of sockets in the last 10 years, with the difference of having many less products.
Thing is everyone keep complaining about intel changing many sockets, when they changed just as much as AMD but for some reason nobody ever complains about the same thing with AMD.

Intel has had 5 sockets in 9 years.
AMD has had 3 sockets in 9 years, unless you want to count their low end platform s socket changes even though it is not the mainstream platform. The main issue is that the last socket, AM4, came out in 2016 and has been supported 3 years now and looking to support another year. Intel hasnt kept anything that long.


And this is looking extra far back just to get the socket count of both companies up. If we look in the last 5 years only:
Intel has had 3 sockets in the last 5 years (Z97 through 300 series)
AMD has had 1 socket

oxidized 07-10-2019 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EniGma1987 (Post 28035544)
Intel has had 5 sockets in 9 years.
AMD has had 3 sockets in 9 years, unless you want to count their low end platform s socket changes even though it is not the mainstream platform. The main issue is that the last socket, AM4, came out in 2016 and has been supported 3 years now and looking to support another year. Intel hasnt kept anything that long.


And this is looking extra far back just to get the socket count of both companies up. If we look in the last 5 years only:
Intel has had 3 sockets in the last 5 years (Z97 through 300 series)
AMD has had 1 socket

I count everything, and AMD has had FM2+ AM1 and AM3+ in the same period of 2/3 years. Look here. Everything included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

Alex132 07-10-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisshort117 (Post 28035406)
This.

Intel fans are sooo thickheaded it's astounding.

You do realise I'm talking about the senseless blabbering of "Intel socket bad, AMD socket good" in this thread? It's mind boggling... it's ridiculous.


The cult-like fanaticism of AMD is growing disturbingly fast on OCN (and reddit) and genuinely makes me not want to even associate myself with PC enthusiasts more and more because of just how sheer toxic the 'fan base' is around them is becoming.

CynicalUnicorn 07-10-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penicilyn (Post 28035294)
Guess I might as well just sell my Z390/9700K combo now and go AM4. I'm really tired of the 2 year socket crap that Intel keeps pulling.

Sure, AMD's got a great track record there. I mean, they've had...

FM2+, which got Kaveri and Godavari/Kaveri refresh (Steamroller and Steamroller)
FM2, which got Trinity and Richland (Piledriver and Piledriver)
FM1, which was a complete friggin' joke and just got Llano
AM3+, which got Zambezi and Vishera (Bulldozer and what Bulldozer should have been to start with, aka Piledriver)
AM1, which got Kabini. Didn't even get an update with Beema or Mullins. I think they added one new SKU at the top that was 50 or 150MHz faster lol

AM4 is NOT the norm. The only reason AMD's sockets appear to have better longevity is because of backwards/forward-compatibility during the AM2/2+/3/3+ era (fully dependent on BIOS and thus vendor support, incidentally) and because in recent years they stuck around so damn long because AMD didn't have any new processors. Seriously, Vishera on 990FX was AMD's de facto HEDT platform for FIVE YEARS. From 2012 until March 2017 when Ryzen replaced it (but even then not fully because it wasn't until later that we got Ryzen 3 to bury it at the same price). FM1 was just an embarrassment, to the point that AMD promised that the next-gen APU platform would get two releases... and it was Piledriver+TeraScale 3 followed by Piledriver+TeraScale 3 under a year later. And I've checked the docs I can find for all three platforms and I genuinely cannot figure out why compatibility was broken.

I'll also make the argument that offering backwards-compatibility with a motherboard is not a value-add. I am not buying X570 so I can use my shiny new Ryzen 7 1700 I grabbed off Ebay. However, I am buying a Ryzen 7 3700X so I can drop it in my old X370 motherboard. In a similar vein, I have no plans to drop an A10-5800K in my A88X motherboard because, well, Kaveri exists. But it sure would be neat if I could drop an A10-7850K in my A85X motherboard.

Oh and also keep in mind that AMD isn't officially supporting Matisse on A320. Did you build a budget APU system a couple years ago? Sorry, you need a new motherboard now! Yeah it's still AM4 but the CPU is unsupported for arbitrary reasons. Thanks to BIOS chip sizes, a lot of motherboards have just dropped support for Bristol Ridge as well. Sure, that's the old CPU/new motherboard combo that I just argued isn't a value-add, but it breaks compatibility. It throws a wrench in the "AMD is generous and does not make us buy new motherboards!" meme, but if you actually take a look at AMD's history, you'll realize that that's pretty typical.


Quote:

Originally Posted by EniGma1987 (Post 28035544)
Intel has had 5 sockets in 9 years.
AMD has had 3 sockets in 9 years, unless you want to count their low end platform s socket changes even though it is not the mainstream platform. The main issue is that the last socket, AM4, came out in 2016 and has been supported 3 years now and looking to support another year. Intel hasnt kept anything that long.


And this is looking extra far back just to get the socket count of both companies up. If we look in the last 5 years only:
Intel has had 3 sockets in the last 5 years (Z97 through 300 series)
AMD has had 1 socket

Instead of counting sockets, we can count microarchitectures.

AMD has had 8: K10, Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller, Excavator, Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2
Intel has had 11: Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, Skylake-SP, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, and Cascade Lake

Intel has had more sockets because Intel has released more actually-new CPUs. AMD released a refresh of Vishera more than three years after its initial launch. This isn't like, I dunno, an i7-6700K to an i9-9900K where it's a similar core but larger. This is the exact same silicon but overclocked a little out of the box. The Internet would not shut up about it if Intel did this with Skylake today.

Raghar 07-10-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 28034728)

The interesting on that image is it looks like author created an obvious error on purpose just to see if people would be dumb, and fall for an obvious fabrication.

Quote:

So the lineup was posted by Computerbase who mention that the original source is from a Chinese based tech forum.
Well, looks like it was weird Chinese humor.

andrews2547 07-10-2019 10:21 AM

Closed because it's fake.



Quote:

Originally Posted by maltamonk (Post 28035164)
I'll add the link

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/statu...29598298284032

For those not paying attention........it's a fake



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.