Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/)
-   -   Could use someone smarter than me... (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1729108-could-use-someone-smarter-than-me.html)

Elusiv 07-10-2019 04:33 PM

Could use someone smarter than me...

Buying a x570...planning on spending about $300. I see the Gigabyte Auros Ultra, ASRock Taichi and MSI Pro Carbon all seem to be in that range. Are any of them really better than the other? Ye of the brain smart...helps me to choose.

AlphaC 07-10-2019 05:13 PM

Aorus Ultra / Aorus Pro > Taichi > Pro Carbon

Aorus Ultra has 3x M.2 while Aorus Pro has 2x M.2.

What are you looking for in terms of featureset? There's not much between them besides the power delivery.

Elusiv 07-10-2019 05:29 PM

Decent overclock ability (that is fairly straightforward), on the M.2...i only have 1 at the moment but I could see getting a second later. Good audio. Ill be dropping a 3700x in it, 32gb of ram (3200). Bluetooth would be great...not necessary. wifi...dont need. good LAN connection. Other than that...it just needs to last as I dont upgrade very frequently.

My answers are probably lame.

AlphaC 07-10-2019 06:08 PM

Overclock-wise: the Aorus Ultra & Pro have a tried and true power design 6 PWM phases to 6 doublers driving 12 International Rectifier (IR) powerstages and is cooled by a massive fin-stack. The Taichi is using a similar 12x powerstage design but the Vishay powerstages are cheaper and have less monitoring/feedback features (this doesn't matter that much). The Pro Carbon is using 10x powerblocks (high+low side mosfet combined) instead of 12x powerstage that integrates driver+high+low side mosfet. The power delivery is covered in plastic and there is no heatpipe connecting the two power deliver heatsinks.
--> memory should not be an issue since AMD stated 3600C16 is the optimal memory.

Connectivity: All of them have Intel 1GBe LAN + WIFI 6/BT. All have USB 3.1 gen 2 type A and type C.
---> Aorus Ultra/Pro and Taichi have USB 3.1 gen2 front panel header , Pro Carbon has USB 3.1 gen 1 (aka USB 3.0) front panel header

Audio: All of them have ALC1220 audio but Aorus boards have WIMA caps (ALC1220-VB also might have additional features) and the Taichi has the TI NE5532 amp.
Storage: Storage-wise the Taichi has 3x M.2 and Aorus Ultra has 3x M.2 (Pro has 2x M.2). Pro Carbon has 2x.
Troubleshooting: Aorus Pro and Ultra have Qflash+ and dual BIOS , Pro Carbon has Bios flashback

Niche features: Aorus Ultra & Aorus Pro have Quad SLI support , Taichi has Quad SLI , Pro Carbon has no SLI support