Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/)
-   -   Dell Laptop - GTX 1050 - W & W/O Displaylink (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1729136-dell-laptop-gtx-1050-w-w-o-displaylink.html)

Stilldawn 07-10-2019 09:53 PM

Dell Laptop - GTX 1050 - W & W/O Displaylink

Hi All

Just a random question hoping someone has any advise/experience with this.

I just got a new dell laptop with a GTX 1050 inside, I have it connect to a Dell 3100 dock which is a displaylink dock.

I ran the Valley benchmark and it was terrible on my monitors, with FPS of 6 lol. I have just run it now with it not plugged into the dock and FPS was 32.6, massive increase.

Is this the docks fault? What is going on I though the dock was just an expansion of ports but it seems to have a massive negative effect on the laptops performance?

Is there a fix for this, as when I do game on it, I want to game on my monitors not the laptop screen.

Cheers

speed_demon 07-10-2019 10:08 PM

What is the model number of the laptop?

Edit: The Dell D3100 is not meant for gaming. You can connect a display directly to your laptop's HDMI port without the drop in framerates though.

Stilldawn 07-10-2019 10:52 PM

It's a Vostro 7590. Its my work laptop but occasionally would like to use for lan nights etc.

Just light gaming like LoL etc.

I understand the dock is for a business environment but was shocked at the performance lost, my old laptop with dell dock worked fine.

So I'm assuming there is a crap layer of software in the dock instead of just passing the video through?

speed_demon 07-10-2019 11:10 PM

Outputting to a display over USB takes a large hit in performance no matter what dock is used. Other docks make use of higher bandwidth configurations which work much better for what you want to accomplish.

If you have a thunderbolt port (which you likely do) you could use a thunderbolt dock and could output to external monitors without a loss in performance. That would mean replacing your existing dock though.

Stilldawn 07-10-2019 11:17 PM

Great lol only just got this new setup. Damn laptop doesn't even have Ethernet port so have to lan over WiFi.

Stilldawn 07-11-2019 02:31 AM

So just checking, if I return the current dock and get a Dell WB19TB which is a thunderbolt 3 type c dock. Will this run the GPU through to its full potential?

Its a decent amount more so want to be sure.

Cheers