Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   General Processor Discussions (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/)
-   -   I got old Intel instead of Ryzen 3000 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1729626-i-got-old-intel-instead-ryzen-3000-a.html)

DR4G00N 07-18-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair (Post 28047090)
I dont see PGA as a catch. Infact I see it as a pro. I have bent the pins of many an AMD cpu and been able to bend the pins back. I have bent many LGA socket motherboards and thrown them in the bin. I dont know about you. But being able to save the CPU after bending a pin sounds like a massive advantage. "But I pull out the CPU when I remove the cooler" I hear you say. Well firstly instead of just trying to yank off your cooler just twist it back and forth gently and it will eventually come free. And if you do happen to pull it out the socket any way well it doesnt damage anything.

PGA is just an inferior socket design to LGA all around. LGA is overall simpler, more reliable, scales well to larger sizes and has better electrical & mechanical characteristics. I've never had to straighten a pin on my LGA cpu's so I don't know how having a chip with pins is a good thing? Also PGA sockets themselves have pins that can bend or break too, they're just under a plastic cover instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrews2547 (Post 28048894)
I'm just confused as to why so many people care what CPU OP went for. $550 CAD (?) for that hardware is pretty damn good. Even if it's $550 USD, it's still a good deal. I would have probably done the same thing TBH.

I don't really get it either, the 5960X is a good cpu, a bit old yes, but still plenty powerful. It not like it's going to be lacking for playing games, it'll loose like 5-10fps but when your doing over 100fps already does it really matter?

andrews2547 07-18-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagget3450 (Post 28048940)
Did you guys read the first post? Its not a "hey i got a great deal on used 5960x and decided against buying anything new for now." When i read it all i see is OP talking about how 9900k is superior in gaming and AMD cannot do anything right and just sucks for everyone. Everything in the post is about how the OP has disdain for AMD and how intel is superior. Like was he really considering AMD at all?

Look at his reply as well "The 3600 will be faster in games but I game at 4k60 so CPU performance is not a big issue for me." Really now? So why make a post about how intel cpu is better than AMD even today. Like here is another Pro intel thread and citing Intel gaming performance as king. YET GAMES AT 4k!? So now why even bother talking about whats superior or not, just would have been easy to say "i got a awesome deal"

just for reference 4k gaming on 2080ti
https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-...38410-2160.png

Yeah, the difference at 4K is so small that it doesn't really matter. What does matter is the price difference. $550 for the Intel vs $1350 for a 3800X. In this case, does make the 5960X is "superior" choice.

ThrashZone 07-18-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liranan (Post 28048914)
For that price he, indeed, got a good deal as that RAM would cost me 2/3 of that 550 he spent. As I said, I hope he's happy with his purchase and enjoys it for years to come.

@1096bimu
Hi,
All the op has to do to accomplish that is to manually set VCCIO cpu 1.05 voltage to it's default voltage which is yes 1.05v

New broardwell-e bios shoot it up to 1.25v+ way too much and might be why quite a few broadwell-e and haswell-e systems were fried
This overshot of vccio cpu happens just by increasing memory frequency past default 2133MHz !!!

Silly seeing haswell-e bios never did it ever always pretty much stayed 1.05v +- a hair not a mile :)

PontiacGTX 07-18-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrews2547 (Post 28048894)
I'm just confused as to why so many people care what CPU OP went for. $550 CAD (?) for that hardware is pretty damn good. Even if it's $550 USD, it's still a good deal. I would have probably done the same thing TBH.

exactly price/performance is better than most in the chart also a 1700x couldnt match it because if OP oced to 4.6ghz+ intel is still faster maybe if 1st-2nd gen ryzen could oc to 4.6ghz+ all core then yes it would be a bad value

ThrashZone 07-18-2019 07:25 AM

Hi,
Yeah way too easy to disable meltdown and spectre nonsense
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Alex132 07-18-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Did you guys read the first post? Its not a "hey i got a great deal on used 5960x and decided against buying anything new for now."

Yes it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1096bimu (Post 28046896)
Another reason I decided to not go all-out on Ryzen 3000 is how strong Intel's SunnyCove is in terms of IPC, even though their fab is still ****, we can tell it's very strong because 10nm SunnyCove cores are 4.1Ghz are beating 9th gen at 4.5-4.7 Ghz, I believe that's a bigger lead than Zen2. So chances are good that when Intel sorts out their ****ty fabs, they'll be at least on par with Zen3 in terms of IPC. So I believe that will be a better time to buy, whether I end up buying Zen3 or Intel 10th gen, at the very least there will be more competition, lower prices and better products. Right now AMD is kind of sandbagging Intel with Zen2, and charging relatively high prices.

Quote:

When i read it all i see is OP talking about how 9900k is superior in gaming and AMD cannot do anything right and just sucks for everyone. Everything in the post is about how the OP has disdain for AMD and how intel is superior. Like was he really considering AMD at all?

Objectively, the 9900k is better than the current AMD offerings for gaming (albeit barely).

Quote:

Look at his reply as well "The 3600 will be faster in games but I game at 4k60 so CPU performance is not a big issue for me." Really now? So why make a post about how intel cpu is better than AMD even today.

Those concepts are not interlinked with one-another. You can both have a lack of requirement of CPU performance at a high resolution and for Intel to offer a faster gaming CPU than AMD currently.

Quote:

Like here is another Pro intel thread and citing Intel gaming performance as king.

Not sure if you've been in the news threads in the past few years, it's normally the opposite here :upsidedwn

Quote:

YET GAMES AT 4k!? So now why even bother talking about whats superior or not, just would have been easy to say "i got a awesome deal"

He wanted to give his reasoning/thought process? I don't see why that's gotten you upset.

briank 07-18-2019 07:43 AM

How well does Nickelback overclock?

dagget3450 07-18-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex132 (Post 28048992)
Yes it is.

Objectively, the 9900k is better than the current AMD offerings for gaming (albeit barely).

Those concepts are not interlinked with one-another. You can both have a lack of requirement of CPU performance at a high resolution and for Intel to offer a faster gaming CPU than AMD currently.

Not sure if you've been in the news threads in the past few years, it's normally the opposite here :upsidedwn

He wanted to give his reasoning/thought process? I don't see why that's gotten you upset.

Except this whole theory falls apart @ gaming 4k. You could literally find many old intel cpu thats cost less than 100$ usd and game @ 4k60 while pretty much having identical performance.

criminal 07-18-2019 08:33 AM

5960x is still a strong cpu. That's what I upgraded from. Your build looks nice.

Alex132 07-18-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagget3450 (Post 28049062)
Except this whole theory falls apart @ gaming 4k. You could literally find many old intel cpu thats cost less than 100$ usd and game @ 4k60 while pretty much having identical performance.

Don't think so, my 2500k @ 5ghz really struggled at 1440p with my 1080 Ti.