Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/)
-   -   1080ti: Need your advice (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1729726-1080ti-need-your-advice.html)

Storx 07-18-2019 01:42 AM

1080ti: Need your advice

Hello All,

Looking for a little advice on a situation I've been dealing with for more than a year. Last year I tried to get into [email protected] gaming dropping down from [email protected] gaming after my 4k monitor died on me. I broke down and bought an Asus predator 1440p monitor thinking I would have better performance gaming as my 1080ti at the time struggled to hit 60fps in many of the games I played on max settings and many games and programs are outright broken trying to use 4k with poor scaling and such. I quickly found that i was just short of meeting the 165hz of the 1440p monitor in some of the games I played so I bought a 2nd 1080ti used in hopes of running it in SLI and get the performance I was looking for. Well since that decision I have hated all the struggles I've been through with gaming with SLI, plus I found out that you cant stream with SLI as recording software like OBS doesn't function properly with GPUs in SLI. So i have had a 2nd 1080ti in my system basically rarely ever used and looking for advice for a new gaming rig upgrade.

I was waiting for the release of Zen 2 to make my decisions and after reviewing some of the benchmarks im still leaning towards going with intel 9900k over Zen 2, but I'm not sure what I should do with the 1080ti's. I have been thinking of selling them both and buy a single RTX2080ti, as streaming with the encoder from the RTX barely drops any fps on the stream and is nearly identical quality to streaming from a 9900k CPU directly I've been told. plus it would max out my monitor on nearly all the games i play, but ive also been thinking of just selling 1 GPU and running the single 1080ti for now, because ive been told that something is about to be released from AMD in the Navi lineup in September that is rumored to equal the 2080ti for half the price.

shilka 07-18-2019 01:54 AM

SLI is terrible and if you had asked for advice we could have told you it was terrible and a waste of time and money
My advice is if you need a new GPU now buy one now dont wait around otherwise you will never get anything done you will always be waiting for the next big thing

I am also a 1440P 165hz user and i am getting an RTX 2070 Super in about two weeks and the reason why i picked an RTX 2070 Super is its almost as good as the RTX 2080 but far cheaper and for my use case its good enough and i dont feel like paying for the RTX 2080 Super that comes out later her in July it costs too much

Streetdragon 07-18-2019 01:59 AM

I run 1080TI Sli an i have 0 problems. Ok i dont stream^^
Most sli profiles/Hacks can be found online to get sli working.

But i think for you use-case a singe strong card would fit better

Storx 07-18-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetdragon (Post 28048774)
I run 1080TI Sli an i have 0 problems. Ok i dont stream^^
Most sli profiles/Hacks can be found online to get sli working.

But i think for you use-case a singe strong card would fit better

Is there a really good source of these profiles and hacks? I've tried googling on some of the games i play with mixed results that rarely worked. Id almost prefer to keep them in SLI, because I already have them installed in SLI with water blocks in my custom water loop. I feel like trying to sell the used water blocks or the cards with the water blocks attached would be very difficult. Back when I sold my R9 290, it sat for sale on eBay for many months without selling and most offers I got to sell it were equal to the same price normal ones with air coolers were selling used, so I basically gave away the water block selling it. I have also been told i can get around the SLI issue with OBS by running a 2nd system for streaming and capture the output from the master GPU on with a capture card on the 2nd pc system.

Streetdragon 07-18-2019 04:00 AM

dont know for sources^^
I google the game i wanna play(atm metro exodus). In the inspector tool i set the shown settings. maybe mod the .exe of the game and than im good to go.

With streaming etc i have no clue sry

ThrashZone 07-18-2019 05:35 AM

Hi,
Doubt amd will come all that close to 2080ti performance but will likely be half the price so worth waiting for sure but there are also a lot of 2080ti's and not all are the same performance level.