Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Other Peripherals (https://www.overclock.net/forum/376-other-peripherals/)
-   -   Why is USB always so PAINFULLY SLOW? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/376-other-peripherals/1729880-why-usb-always-so-painfully-slow.html)

Thingamajig 07-20-2019 05:34 AM

Why is USB always so PAINFULLY SLOW?
 
Hi guys.

So for the longest time, probably since my Vista/XP days, i've always felt USB transfers in windows to be ridiculously slow.

I've just bought myself an Asus Zenfone 6 (latest flagship phone) and i'm transferring a few number of files to the device via USB 3.0 (blue)

6GB transfer (of 40 so far) has taken over an hour, on usb 3.0.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Why are USB file transfers always so unbelievably slow? Especially with new USB standards? My internet connection is multitudes faster!

Whats the point in newer usb standards when speed barely changes at all?? (Yet our file transfers continue to increase in size?) is there a way to improve it?

BroadPwns 07-20-2019 05:53 AM

I bet it's because you have something screwed up. I copied my 14.6GB music library from phone to PC HDD in 20 minutes. USB 3.0 too. Could be faster but you can see the picture.

Thingamajig 07-20-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 28052192)
I bet it's because you have something screwed up. I copied my 14.6GB music library from phone to PC HDD in 20 minutes. USB 3.0 too. Could be faster but you can see the picture.

Dont see what - windows 10 is stock (was fresh install last week)

Phone is new only since wednesday.

Get the same result using either a motherboard USB (back of rig) or case mounted one. Still stupidly slow.

deepor 07-20-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thingamajig (Post 28052168)
[...]

I've just bought myself an Asus Zenfone 6 (latest flagship phone) and i'm transferring a few number of files to the device via USB 3.0 (blue)

6GB transfer (of 40 so far) has taken over an hour, on usb 3.0.

[...]


The phone seems to be USB 2.0 according to the specifications I could find online. It's only the connector that's Type C, but it's not really USB 3.0 or USB 3.1, it's really a USB 2.0 connection.

Thingamajig 07-20-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepor (Post 28052214)
The phone seems to be USB 2.0 according to the specifications I could find online. It's only the connector that's Type C, but it's not really USB 3.0 or USB 3.1, it's really a USB 2.0 connection.

Shouldn't i still be getting better transfer rates than i'm currently having though?

ozlay 07-20-2019 06:17 AM

I found it to be faster if you move an entire folder instead of a bunch of files. It jumps from file to file coping a little of each instead of finishing one and moving on to another.

The internal storage or SD card you are moving the files too also slows it down.

deepor 07-20-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thingamajig (Post 28052218)
Shouldn't i still be getting better transfer rates than i'm currently having though?


Yes, I think you are right. When I try to calculate what should happen if it's really USB 2.0, my results are that it should just be a few minutes to transfer six gigabyte.

My guess for USB 2.0 would be something around 25 megabyte/sec transfer speeds. I'm then calculating this amount of seconds for six gigabytes:

6 * 2^30 / (25 * 2^20)
= 246 seconds

or this amount of minutes:

6 * 2^30 / (25 * 2^20) / 60
= 4 minutes

BroadPwns 07-20-2019 06:30 AM

It's never a constant transfer rate, you're forgetting that. Also, do you copy from phones internal storage or SD Card?

HardheadedMurphy 07-20-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thingamajig (Post 28052168)
Hi guys.



So for the longest time, probably since my Vista/XP days, i've always felt USB transfers in windows to be ridiculously slow.



I've just bought myself an Asus Zenfone 6 (latest flagship phone) and i'm transferring a few number of files to the device via USB 3.0 (blue)



6GB transfer (of 40 so far) has taken over an hour, on usb 3.0.



This is absolutely ridiculous.



Why are USB file transfers always so unbelievably slow? Especially with new USB standards? My internet connection is multitudes faster!



Whats the point in newer usb standards when speed barely changes at all?? (Yet our file transfers continue to increase in size?) is there a way to improve it?

Even with USB 3.1 the file transfer rates are limited to the conversion from a read on one device to a write on the next.

The transfer performance gains a cross the generations has increased somewhat, but nothing really to brag about.

I resorted to transferring the content on the SD card of my old S7 to my new OnePlus pro 7 via Bluetooth.

And anytime I'm dropping movies on my phone I use Bluetooth from my PC to my phone. Faster than USB... But not by much when looking at 40+ gigs of media transfer

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Thingamajig 07-20-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 28052232)
It's never a constant transfer rate, you're forgetting that. Also, do you copy from phones internal storage or SD Card?


Internal storage. If i transfer to the SD card i usually just end up taking it out and putting it into an adaptor for USB, i get slightly better speeds this way.

I still think it's quite shocking how poor USB is when it's this inconsistent and hasn't really improved alot over the years. I'm sure alot of it can be configuration/windows issues but considering most use it, you'd have expected things to have changed alot over the last decade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepor (Post 28052230)
Yes, I think you are right. When I try to calculate what should happen if it's really USB 2.0, my results are that it should just be a few minutes to transfer six gigabyte.

My guess for USB 2.0 would be something around 25 megabyte/sec transfer speeds. I'm then calculating this amount of seconds for six gigabytes:

6 * 2^30 / (25 * 2^20)
= 246 seconds

or this amount of minutes:

6 * 2^30 / (25 * 2^20) / 60
= 4 minutes

Lol this is about how long it takes for me to transfer similar sized files over Ethernet - which is BLINDINGLY FAST compared to USB.

(I often link my laptop to my desktop via Ethernet to sync very large files (50gb+) and i'm done within 20 minutes or so)

Still, with how "mainstream" USB is i'd have expected better results.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.