Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [JS] Activision Shoveling Microtransactions Into Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1730572-javascript-activision-shoveling-microtransactions-into-crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled.html)

TK421 07-31-2019 12:27 PM

[JS] Activision Shoveling Microtransactions Into Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

Quote:

To the surprise of only those who haven't kept an eye on Activision's modus operandi, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is getting microtransactions.

Yes, a remake of a 20-year-old game will soon allow for the "option" of purchasing Wumpa Coins with real money to skip grinding for them. With a storefront that resembled Fortnite's, the groundwork was clearly in place.

Yet again, Activision has smuggled microtransactions in long after game reviews were published, weeks after launch, and it stinks. Microtransactions don't belong in there to begin with, but these post-launch additions are really getting despicable.

Some other website have similar article.

speed_demon 07-31-2019 12:29 PM

It's bad for games but good for business. Sadly.

bigjdubb 07-31-2019 12:58 PM

Microtransactions are hit or miss with me. They aren't that bad as long as the real money to game money ratio is reasonable. Things can get out of hand when it's done like GTA V where an in game item can cost you more real money than the game itself did. The other issue is when they make in game items priced higher than what people can reasonably grind out. If you have to grind all day for weeks to buy something, IMO, it costs too much and it was probably done intentionally to sell game currency.

At some point we are either going to have to accept DLC and microtransactions as the way it is, or accept paying more than 59.99 for a game. I don't think we can have both.

ToTheSun! 07-31-2019 01:13 PM

The part about kids being bullied for having a "default" character in Fortnite killed me. I guess this is where we are now.

bigjdubb 07-31-2019 01:16 PM

I felt guilty for commenting without watching the video, but now that I read your post I'm glad I didn't.

skupples 07-31-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjdubb (Post 28068010)
Microtransactions are hit or miss with me. They aren't that bad as long as the real money to game money ratio is reasonable. Things can get out of hand when it's done like GTA V where an in game item can cost you more real money than the game itself did. The other issue is when they make in game items priced higher than what people can reasonably grind out. If you have to grind all day for weeks to buy something, IMO, it costs too much and it was probably done intentionally to sell game currency.

At some point we are either going to have to accept DLC and microtransactions as the way it is, or accept paying more than 59.99 for a game. I don't think we can have both.

agreed, it's been quite some time since the standard game MSRP hit $60.00.

DNMock 07-31-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28068144)
agreed, it's been quite some time since the standard game MSRP hit $60.00.

I honestly am not too sure about that though. The development costs have gone up for sure, but the cost of manufacturing the goods (the cartridges/cases/manuals/disks) has all but vanished with everything going digital. Granted, it might only cost $1 or $2 for printing the games/manuals per unit after shipping them, but when you are talking 5 to 10 million copies being sold of a game across all platforms, that's 5 to 20 million in savings and easily offsets the added development costs.

Asmodian 07-31-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28068218)
Granted, it might only cost $1 or $2 for printing the games/manuals per unit after shipping them, but when you are talking 5 to 10 million copies being sold of a game across all platforms, that's 5 to 20 million in savings and easily offsets the added development costs.

Isn't that only a savings of $1-2 per copy though? If a game needs to cost more than $60 to make money saving $1 per copy isn't going to make up the difference. $61 per copy wouldn't cover the difference in development costs, if it did this entire point would be pretty irrelevant.

Nightbird 07-31-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodian (Post 28068304)
Isn't that only a savings of $1-2 per copy though? If a game needs to cost more than $60 to make money saving $1 per copy isn't going to make up the difference. $61 per copy wouldn't cover the difference in development costs, if it did this entire point would be pretty irrelevant.

Going from brick-and-mortar to digital (steam anyways) saved more than 1-2$, the store took 50% so the developer only took home under 30$ of that 60$ game. Steam takes 30%, so 30$ to 42$ per sale was a big 40% bump back then. Now, there's even lower margin competitors. Basically, devs are getting a lot more per sale than before.

JackCY 07-31-2019 05:58 PM

A new update for a game, what's in it? Microtransactions to avoid increased grinding.
A new update for an application, what's in it? A whole installer that forces you to install 3rd party bloatware, oh and a couple of bug fixes.